drill press fence - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 03-16-2017, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

View mendozer's Photo Album My Photos
drill press fence

I'm planning to make a quick DP table with T tracks and all. Can't find a fence that's exactly what I want, so I thought to purchase some T slot profiles from 8020.net and make my own. I want a smooth face with T track on the top for stop blocks and on the back for mounting to an L piece, drilled for attaching all of that to the table.

So the perfect example I can find of this is this profile. Total materials here are 42 without shipping. The closest aluminum fence I can find is the Rockler one, but that's 70 bucks and isn't even that high.

thoughts?

is the mdf front face necessary? Why don't most people just use aluminum?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-16-2017, 11:40 AM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
the MDF in the Rockler design provides a recess for the dust collector and (also) acts as a spacer for the sliding stop.

alot of folks face jigs & fixtures with sacrificial stuff like the MDF. were it wider it would also provide a clamp landing - clamping the aluminum can bend up slots/etc.

now, why the MDF with the slick white coating on a fence where you're trying to keep things still is a bit of a mystery . . .

I use a 2x6/2x8/2x10 clipped onto the metal table - it's long & wide enough I can clamp fences, stops, put in screws/bolts, whatever I need for the task.

and I just drill onto/into it . . . when it gets too ratty, I replace it - much more minor cost / trouble than the pretty stuff.
Attached Images

post #3 of 8 Old 03-16-2017, 02:54 PM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Always good to have a larger DP table area. Have you looked on line for table designs that incorporate T tracks? Have seen some that are very effective - EZ build, that are attached to the original DP table, with 2 T tracks with adjustable hold downs, & a L shaped fence with a T track running on the top horizontal surface with a flip stop. Maybe design your own with the best features of other tables, but for whatever your project requires. Be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-16-2017, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

So the cost for me to get the fence parts for what I wanted was 61 with shipping, then the T tracks for my design were to be 49 with shipping. That's already $110. So I just ordered Woodpecker's table for $120. The time it takes to make one isn't worth near the $10 savings, plus it has the hold downs and flip stops. If I want to make a quick fence that's taller for stock, I'll just get a 24" piece of 3x3 aluminum for 15-20 bucks and drill holes for the T tracks.
The Following User Says Thank You to mendozer For This Useful Post:
woodchux (03-16-2017)
post #5 of 8 Old 03-16-2017, 09:30 PM

View Brian(J)'s Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendozer View Post
So the cost for me to get the fence parts for what I wanted was 61 with shipping, then the T tracks for my design were to be 49 with shipping. That's already $110. So I just ordered Woodpecker's table for $120. The time it takes to make one isn't worth near the $10 savings, plus it has the hold downs and flip stops. If I want to make a quick fence that's taller for stock, I'll just get a 24" piece of 3x3 aluminum for 15-20 bucks and drill holes for the T tracks.
That's a nice set-up. You won't regret it. Mine came with clamps that look cool but I end up grabbing my KREG Automax bench clamps instead. It's so fast to use that you actually use it.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-18-2017, 08:33 AM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
I made a dp table with t track for the fence. Just a 1 1/2" x 2" piece of qs oak and 2 ratchet knobs and t bolts. I used ratchet knobs because I had them. With a wider fence, any knob, not as wide as the fence would work.
I plan on putting a t track on top for a flip stop. Also shop made.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-18-2017, 02:04 PM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
I made my own, cost about 25 bucks for parts...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0277.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	285329  

post #8 of 8 Old 03-18-2017, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

I would have liked that but the T tracks and fence parts I wanted were too much to make it worth it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode