Drawer Slide Jig? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Catpower
  • 2 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By Catpower

post #1 of 14 Old 11-15-2018, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

View lilsullivan04's Photo Album My Photos
Drawer Slide Jig?

Which drawer slide jig would you recommend out the these two choices, rockler or kreg?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-15-2018, 02:26 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
I've never used the Kreg, but I do have a Rockler and it has held up pretty good and is pretty easy to use
lilsullivan04 likes this.

There is no app for experience
post #3 of 14 Old 11-15-2018, 02:54 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I just cut a sheet of 1/4" plywood and lay it on the floor of the cabinet against the side. It insures the distance from the floor up is identical on both sides. If it's a one time cabinet start with the top drawer and keep cutting it for the drawers below. If it's a routinely built cabinet just keep the plywood panels for the different spacing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
lilsullivan04 (11-15-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 11-15-2018, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I just cut a sheet of 1/4" plywood and lay it on the floor of the cabinet against the side. It insures the distance from the floor up is identical on both sides. If it's a one time cabinet start with the top drawer and keep cutting it for the drawers below. If it's a routinely built cabinet just keep the plywood panels for the different spacing.

So the plywood is the jig?

post #5 of 14 Old 11-15-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsullivan04 View Post
So the plywood is the jig?

Yes, you sit the drawer slide on top of the plywood up against the side of the cabinet and screw the guide to the side of the cabinet. It makes both of the slides exactly the same distance from the bottom of the cabinet. It's not that critical how far you put the slide back from the front of the cabinet unless you are doing inset drawers. I normally just position the slide about 1/16" back from the front which I just guess the distance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
lilsullivan04 (11-16-2018)
post #6 of 14 Old 11-16-2018, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, you sit the drawer slide on top of the plywood up against the side of the cabinet and screw the guide to the side of the cabinet. It makes both of the slides exactly the same distance from the bottom of the cabinet. It's not that critical how far you put the slide back from the front of the cabinet unless you are doing inset drawers. I normally just position the slide about 1/16" back from the front which I just guess the distance.

Thank you I appreciate it!

post #7 of 14 Old 11-16-2018, 10:29 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
i do a similar thing with 2 pieces of scrap 1x . cut them to fit under the slide and equal length, one in the front one in the back. move them to the other side. cut them down for the next drawer height/slide set. repeat. you do have to be handy to hold up 2 of them. the plywood would likely be a better option, if you have trouble.

when the cleats are holding up the slides, I just mark a couple of holes in the slide. I only install a couple of screws to start, then use the remaining holes to make any adjustments on the slide if needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to TimPa For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 14 Old 11-16-2018, 01:35 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I was confused by this ...

Quote:
Actually, I think you need two pieces of plywood identical in height placed vertically inside the cabinet sides, one on the right, the other on the left. Some sticky tape will hold them in place temporarily while they support the drawer slides. It's a good, simple method for getting them at the same height and level.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #9 of 14 Old 11-16-2018, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Actually, I think you need two pieces of plywood identical in height placed vertically inside the cabinet sides, one on the right, the other on the left. Some sticky tape will hold them in place temporarily while they support the drawer slides. It's a good, simple method for getting them at the same height and level.

So if you are doing more than one drawer and you do the first drawer measured from bottom of cabinet using the plywood method then how would you do another drawer and so on?

post #10 of 14 Old 11-16-2018, 02:32 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
I used to use plywood, but if you are building furniture that has different depths of drawers I ended up running out of scrap and had to cut good wood

The rockler jig holds the glides real good and makes it a lot easier
woodnthings likes this.

There is no app for experience
The Following User Says Thank You to Catpower For This Useful Post:
post #11 of 14 Old 11-16-2018, 02:47 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
You need to cut the plywood down a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsullivan04 View Post
So if you are doing more than one drawer and you do the first drawer measured from bottom of cabinet using the plywood method then how would you do another drawer and so on?

You center the slide for the next drawer and cut the plywood shorter so it supports the slide on the marks. You do end up using a bunch of plywood as Catpower suggests above, so if there's not a good supply of scrap plywood, better to use the Rockler jig.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
post #12 of 14 Old 11-16-2018, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpower View Post
I used to use plywood, but if you are building furniture that has different depths of drawers I ended up running out of scrap and had to cut good wood

The rockler jig holds the glides real good and makes it a lot easier

Thank you

post #13 of 14 Old 11-16-2018, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You center the slide for the next drawer and cut the plywood shorter so it supports the slide on the marks. You do end up using a bunch of plywood as Catpower suggests above, so if there's not a good supply of scrap plywood, better to use the Rockler jig.

Thank you for the advice. Ill end up getting the rockler jig

post #14 of 14 Old 11-16-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I don't use two pieces. Once you have one slide screwed on you can move it to the other side and mount that one. They stand up pretty good without taping them on so I don't bother with that. Usually you can put your knuckles against the plywood while holding the slide so it isn't going anywhere.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode