Do you know these band saws? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mark Jones Ozark

post #1 of 13 Old 12-08-2019, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

View MrDaniel's Photo Album My Photos
Do you know these band saws?

Looking to get a band saw and wanting something a little bigger than a table top and ame across these two Craftsman band saws. They look to be about what I'm looking for. I know Craftsman has had great products in the past as well as terrible products. These two band saws look very similar but are definitely different in some way. Does anyone recognize them? One is $125 (woden cross bars) the other is $150. Would one of these be a good deal or should I continue to look?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191207-163135_1575863180595.png
Views:	78
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	381837  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191207-163116_1575863195987.png
Views:	60
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	381839  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-09-2019, 08:42 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum, Daniel! Add your location to your profile so it shows in the side panel.

Have you seen both of these run? I'd pick the one that looks/sounds best with no more difference than that in price. One has casters so if you need to have your bandsaw movable then that's the easy one to pick.

My go-to bandsaw in our little two-car garage shop is a 1950 King-Seeley 12" made for Sears and it's a great little saw. I have a much more powerful and larger bandsaw but the only tool that gets used more than the 12" bandsaw is my tablesaw.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #3 of 13 Old 12-09-2019, 10:13 AM

View JohnGi's Photo Album My Photos
It's been a long time since I ran one of those, but as I recall they have a cast aluminum frame. It should cut fine so long as you don't want to cut anything thick. The frame lacks the rigidity of a cast iron or welded steel frame and will vibrate in a heavy cut. 2" thick is the max. For light work it should be fine, but there's lots on a bandsaw for vibration to shake loose.

If you are buying used equipment: be patient and look around a lot. There really are great old tools out there, and relatively few people appreciate them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 12-09-2019, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

View MrDaniel's Photo Album My Photos
difalkner, I don't see where to add my location. The user control panel is only asking me for my birth date, email and time zone.

I will be wanting to use the bandsaw to do a lot of log cutting to create lumber from local hardwoods. If this is not a very rigid bandsaw I will wait until I find one that's a little better. I missed out on a 14-in Delta that I would have Love to have. It was $250 and look like. It lasted about 30 minutes on Letgo. Thanks for the advice, I will pass for now.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-09-2019, 11:25 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Upper right corner you'll see User CP. Click on that then choose Edit Your Details. Near the end of the page you'll see a field for Location.

If your intended purpose is what you mentioned then I wouldn't get anything smaller than a 14".

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #6 of 13 Old 12-09-2019, 02:06 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I used the bandsaw in the upper photo in the late 1970s and early 1980s. My roommate and I bought it new for a kitchen remodel, where we made cabinet panel doors with arched tops. We cut the arches and matching plywood panel curves with it. We also used it for other projects. After we sold the house, he made a lot of nice furniture and built another kitchen with it. The last time I saw it was 1985.

It was okay for cutting curves in flat stock. I would want a better bandsaw for resawing logs into boards.

If it were me, I would hold out for a better deal. Like others above, I would recommend a 14 inch bandsaw, which is a popular, common size. For your purpose, get a bandsaw with a 12 inch resaw capacity - one with a riser block or one with a welded frame already sized that way.

If you buy a used saw, ask the seller to toss in extra blades, a fence, a miter gauge, inserts, and whatever other accessories they have laying around that can work with it. Used bandsaws may have all of them or none of them, you never know.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-09-2019, 02:19 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Not one of those ^ ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDaniel View Post
difalkner, I don't see where to add my location. The user control panel is only asking me for my birth date, email and time zone.

I will be wanting to use the bandsaw to do a lot of log cutting to create lumber from local hardwoods. If this is not a very rigid bandsaw I will wait until I find one that's a little better. I missed out on a 14-in Delta that I would have Love to have. It was $250 and look like. It lasted about 30 minutes on Letgo. Thanks for the advice, I will pass for now.

Those are "hobbiest" type saws, not woodworking bandsaws. I owned the 12" Craftsman with the aluminum cover and frame fro about 10 years and it made a lot of cuts. It just isn't stout enough for resawing or log cutting. A minimum of 14" throat is what you will want. The cast iron frame saws, like Delta, older grizzly, Wilton, some Jets can have the height increased using a riser block for resawing. Welded frame saws like the newer Grizzly, Jet and Laguna are more of a professional type woodworker's saws. These are typically a bit more expensive, but worth it.

I own 2 Craftsman Pro 14" welded frame bandsaws with 1 HP motors and they do just fine in my shop. My dedicated resaw bandsaw is a 3 HP minimax 18" throat and it is very good.

Save your money and pass on those two saws you posted.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 13 Old 12-09-2019, 08:53 PM

View chaserchuck's Photo Album My Photos
Chaserchuck has an old 1960 craftsman aluminum body bandsaw retrofitted with 2HP motor sitting on a home made wood stand with 20 or so 1/8" blades in it's cabinet. I used to cut tight curves for Christmas ornaments -1/8"curves, and never used it for resawing. Unfortunately, it still works so well I have it in my shop after all these years. I moved on to using a 500 Watt laser to cut my stuff for many years. I did not own the laser, so am back to hand cutting things on the bandsaw.

I picked up one of the newer crappy Craftsman saws like the ones pictured above, and pretty much can't get it to stay tight enough to cut through 1" boards without slowing down. I purchased it at Habitat for $50. I haven't given up on making it work, but I now just keep it with a different blade for making simple cuts. If I were into buying a bandsaw now, even for casual use I would want a bandsaw with a big motor, hightly adjustable parts, and the ability to easily change blades. Honestly I wouldn't pay $125 for either of these saws. I would save my pennies and get a cheap quality saw for $6-700. You may never replace your bandsaw once you get it, so use your jigsaw until you can't stand it and save for a decent bandsaw. Most people seem to be concerned with resawing, but I was always more concerned about reach. In my 12 - 14" bandsaws, I often have to turn a piece over and saw it from the other side, because the reach is too narrow. I had a 32" diameter 3HP bandsaw that was magnificent - It had over a 24" reach, but also left it in CA when I moved. Keep looking, and try to stay away from any newer (1970 on) Craftsman power tool.
Good luck

Maybe the mockingbird taught all the other birds to sing
post #9 of 13 Old 12-09-2019, 09:44 PM
where's my table saw?

Wink I have a newer Craftsman 14" Pro model, actually 2 of them

I bought one new, on sale in the store, a close out for around $400.00. The other was used in like new condition on Craig's list for $250.00. I keep a 1/2" blade on one and a 3/8' wide blade in the other so I can pretty much make all the cuts I need. A 1/4" blade would make more sense, and I have those also. They are a welded frame saw like the Rikons, Lagunas and some Grizzlys. I really like them and the table is huge! The 1 HP motor take a while to spin up but them it keeps on going right through 2" stock. Sharp blades with few teeth make for superior cuts in thick stock.

https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/...bandsaw-44351/
Looks like this:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #10 of 13 Old 12-10-2019, 12:15 AM
Mark Jones Ozark

View Mark Jones Ozark's Photo Album My Photos
Save your money and buy a bigger bandsaw. The 17" Grizzly will handle 12" round logs for resawing about 4' long is about as big as you can handle and that takes a resaw table and sled. Anything bigger would require a Bandsaw mill.

I did some resawing of logs with a 12" bandsaw but had to cut the logs down to about 5.5" thick using a chainsaw and then burnt up the bearings and a 1 hp motor resawing 5" wide boards from that. Save your money and find a bigger saw. (925.00) plus shipping will buy the new grizzly. The 17" yields 11 inch wide boards 1" thick all day long.

It can be done with a 12" bandsaw but the difference in boards is way bigger with the larger saw. If you only going to saw up a few logs it will work. If your going to saw up 20 plus go with the bigger saw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDaniel View Post

post #11 of 13 Old 12-10-2019, 10:21 AM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
To cut a 4' log you will have to build at least an outfeed table. A 12" log 4' long is pretty heavy. How big the logs are and how long the logs are will dictate how big of a bandsaw you need.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #12 of 13 Old 12-10-2019, 01:09 PM
Mark Jones Ozark

View Mark Jones Ozark's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye10 View Post
To cut a 4' log you will have to build at least an outfeed table. A 12" log 4' long is pretty heavy. How big the logs are and how long the logs are will dictate how big of a bandsaw you need.
This is what I built this last year to do this. Ran about 20 logs through it. Modified several times.
woodnthings likes this.

Last edited by Mark Jones Ozark; 12-10-2019 at 01:10 PM. Reason: tried to embed a youtube link into the message.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-10-2019, 03:16 PM
where's my table saw?

Other bandsaw resaw sled ideas ......

I made a sliding support platform that will hold a 3 ft log for resawing.

It does NOT attach to the saw in any way, just uses the side edge to run a rail against with inward pressure on the bottom. It's like an upside down fence, you have to maintain pressure against the rail to cut straight. It is supported on 4 el-cheapo Harbor Freight roller stands, so a minimum investment IF you don't already have some, which I did.

Other ideas are posted in this thread as well. I like Bugman's roller system, but that's a huge saw and a long set of rollers for a home shop:
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/r...bandsaw-58708/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode