Do I need to worry about leveling table saw? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By John Smith_inFL
  • 1 Post By sanchez
  • 1 Post By Dave Mills
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 2 Post By Old Bones

post #1 of 13 Old 08-07-2020, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

View charlielo's Photo Album My Photos
Do I need to worry about leveling table saw?

I just purchased a Sawstop table saw. As long as I have all the extension wings flat and true to the table saw, do I need to worry about leveling the whole table saw? My garage floor is not 100% level and if it requires, what are some ways to level the whole table saw? I'm getting a mobile base for this table as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-07-2020, 05:36 PM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
I would wait until you get the mobile base
before you fret over how level things are.
personally, anything mobile, I never checked
to see if it was level or not.

Tool Agnostic and B Coll like this.

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-07-2020, 05:38 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
I have an older PM66 and it is dead level, about as perfect as can be. But it's not on a mobile base. Probably just my OCD kicking in but I want my equipment level.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 08-07-2020, 05:59 PM

View sanchez's Photo Album My Photos
I don't think it matters much if a table saw is level. It won't change the accuracy of the cuts. You reference blade to table, not really anything to level or plumb.

With a mobile base, unless you put it in the exact same place every time you use it, it will need to be adjusted all the time.
GeorgeC likes this.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-07-2020, 06:25 PM
Just figuring it out

View Dave Mills's Photo Album My Photos
Mine is not level - similar garage floor issue. The only downside is that my pencil always rolls off it.
woodnthings likes this.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-07-2020, 06:41 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Level IS important sometimes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlielo View Post
I just purchased a Sawstop table saw. As long as I have all the extension wings flat and true to the table saw, do I need to worry about leveling the whole table saw? My garage floor is not 100% level and if it requires, what are some ways to level the whole table saw? I'm getting a mobile base for this table as well.

In and of itself it won't matter if the saw table is not level. When it does matter is when there is an outfeed support table onto which the material that has been cut needs to support it. It should be a tad bit lower, have a rounded front edge and at least be in the same plane as the table on the saw. WHY? When you feed the material through the saw it should not be allowed to twist or you will get a kickback. The easiest and best way to prevent this is to have BOTH tables level or in the same plane.... or co-planar.

Safety First.
RepairmanJack likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 13 Old 08-07-2020, 08:12 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez View Post
I don't think it matters much if a table saw is level. It won't change the accuracy of the cuts. You reference blade to table, not really anything to level or plumb.

With a mobile base, unless you put it in the exact same place every time you use it, it will need to be adjusted all the time.

This is correct. The saw table is flat, that is what counts. There is nothing on the saw that has any reference to gravity.

George
post #8 of 13 Old 08-07-2020, 08:13 PM

View Old Bones's Photo Album My Photos
My Hitachi has casters that retract. I move it often. Never bother to level it. Just as long as it is not wobbly,I'm good. ...J.D.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-07-2020, 09:59 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
level... snicker snicker

with the manure trough filled in with cement, both sides of my barn floor still slant towards the manure trough
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radial arm saw (5).JPG
Views:	16
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	393541  

post #10 of 13 Old 08-08-2020, 09:17 AM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
You want it level enough to put an out feed table or a table to the left. Perfect level isn't rule. When they built my house they actually leveled the concrete in my garage. If I take a car covered in snow it daring everywhere. Lucky I use it for cabinets and not cars...
post #11 of 13 Old 08-08-2020, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

View charlielo's Photo Album My Photos
Thank you so much for all the responses. I'd appreciated it.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-08-2020, 10:32 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
As long as the table saw is properly aligned, a slight tilt shouldn't matter. @woodnthings makes a good point - if the tilt is enough to affect the motion of the wood through the cut, that would be bad.

I have a SawStop cabinet saw. It is on a mobile base, and I roll it onto pillow-top paving stones outside to use it. The pavers have slightly curved tops with wide seams between them, The overall layout is barely sloped for drainage towards the right side of the saw (in the direction of the rip fence from the operator's point of view). The saw does not always go in the exact same place. Different casters may or may not be on a seam between one session and another. The saw table is as flat as I could make it, and the blade and rip fence are properly aligned with the table surface and miter slots.

I used the saw today, so I moved it to its usual spot and measured the tilt, using a Wixey WR365 angle gauge. The WR365 can measure angle from Earth level to 0.1 degrees. (It also measures relative angles.) I made slight variations to the saw's reseting place to test with the casters, seams, and pavers in different positions. Each tilt measurement was taken with the saw properly settled on its base. The average tilt was to the right, between 0.5 and 1.0 degrees off from level. I found one position that had 1.4 degrees of tilt.

Conclusion:
Minor tilt angles up to 1.4 degrees don't make a difference. Using this saw and other table saws that are level to the ground seem the same to me. My saw works well.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-09-2020, 12:01 AM
Jack of too many trades..

View RepairmanJack's Photo Album My Photos
The floor of my basement ship is not level - despite a couple hundred buck worth of self-leveling compound... but I do have my tablesaw level and most of the nearby machine level as well. This is because I have most of my machines set to be on a common horizontal plane so that I can pass long pieces of lumber over one tool/surface without hitting something. My router table is the same level height as my tablesaw so the tablesaw wing can be an outfeed table for the router table. My central workbench is also level and can serve as the in-feed table for the tablesaw and for the router wing on that end of the saw (I have two router tables). My secondary workbench acts as the outfeed for the tablesaw. Keeping these machines level and in alignment has been very important in my small shop design.

That said, my mortising machine is on a mobile base and it's definitely *not* level. It's not practical to level some tools and it gives nothing to have them aligned or leveled with your other surfaces - as long as the tool is stable and won't tip or rock during use.

If I had a big space, I wouldn't much care about the tools being level or plumb, but in a small space shop you can get double duty if things are level and on a common plane.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode