Disc sander runout - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 04-17-2019, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

View brucet999's Photo Album My Photos
Disc sander runout

I'm shopping for a 12" disc sander. Few stores have them on display around here and on two of those display models I have seen (<$200) have had 1/16" (.0625) runout on the disc face. I think acceptable runout should be more like 0.005".

Am I wrong?

What is acceptable runout for a bench mount 12" disc sander?

The old Delta machines were very good and pretty much bullet proof. Now they seem to be poor quality machines, according to online reviews citing cupped tables and serious runout. What machine(s) would you guys recommend?

BruceT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-17-2019, 08:48 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
I have a DeWalt 6x48 belt and 10" disc machine but I've never checked the runout. I do some fairly precision small detail with inlays and often very tiny miters on guitar bindings and my 'guess' is that the runout is closer to the 0.005" you mentioned. In using it I don't detect any wobble or runout at all so it has to be small.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #3 of 5 Old 05-07-2019, 01:28 PM

View Mycrossover's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucet999 View Post
I'm shopping for a 12" disc sander. Few stores have them on display around here and on two of those display models I have seen (<$200) have had 1/16" (.0625) runout on the disc face. I think acceptable runout should be more like 0.005".

Am I wrong?

What is acceptable runout for a bench mount 12" disc sander?

The old Delta machines were very good and pretty much bullet proof. Now they seem to be poor quality machines, according to online reviews citing cupped tables and serious runout. What machine(s) would you guys recommend?
For starts, the old Delta was sold by Stanley, Black and Decker to a Taiwanese firm called Chang Type, International. In spite of building a new US plant to build Delta tools, the word is that it has been all down hill since they took over. Forget about parts support for old Delta or even new Delta.I don't know what your budget is but look for a quality used Delta or Powermatic. You can always get new good tools if you are ready to bite the bullet. Check used machinery dealers. They usually don't bother with junk.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-07-2019, 11:45 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
You want how much precision with a $200 tool? When you start getting into the $450+ range you'll find the precision to be better.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #5 of 5 Old 05-10-2019, 11:48 AM

View Mycrossover's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
You want how much precision with a $200 tool? When you start getting into the $450+ range you'll find the precision to be better.
It is just a platten on a motor shaft. I have a crappy Craftsman 6 x 48 belt sander with a 9" aluminum platten disk sander. I never noticed any runout on the disk.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode