Difference between belt sanders and disc sanders..... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 01-08-2012, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

View jtrom's Photo Album My Photos
Difference between belt sanders and disc sanders.....

I'm talking the larger benchtop ones (like a 10 or 12 inch disc and a 48" belt)...........What kind of work would you use one over the other??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrom View Post
I'm talking the larger benchtop ones (like a 10 or 12 inch disc and a 48" belt)...........What kind of work would you use one over the other??
A lot of projects can be done with either. I might use the rounded end of the belt sander for curves. The belt may also be better for needing sanding on a longer stroke than the disc provides.

post #3 of 6 Old 01-08-2012, 10:58 AM
I run with chisels.

View joesbucketorust's Photo Album My Photos
I use a craftsman 6x48 with 9" disc. I keep a rougher grit on the belt and use it for hogging off a lot of wood at once. I keep a fine grit on the disc and constantly check the table to make sure it's square to the disc - I use it for just sneaking up on a line when all else fails.

I also use the belt to sand down metal, a habit I need to break now that I'm going to hook it up into the dust collection system.

Insert witty signature line here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-08-2012, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

View jtrom's Photo Album My Photos
Can the disc be used for metal too?
post #5 of 6 Old 01-08-2012, 01:12 PM
I run with chisels.

View joesbucketorust's Photo Album My Photos
I have used it for metal, but once you use it on metal you kind of ruin it for wood (the paper disc, not the machine.) I'm not sure if it's kosher, but it does polish flat pieces rather nicely. It's not like one of those knife belt-sanders that are specifically made for metal. Probably the type of belt/disc you put on it makes a difference too. I just know it's there, I'm lazy, and belts/discs are disposable. But now that I'm hooking it into the dust collection I will stop using it as a cheap grinder because I don't want to suck hot metal dust into a bag of wood chips and start the next great fire to burn half of Arizona.

Insert witty signature line here.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-08-2012, 01:17 PM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
A disc rotates in a circular motion, thereby leaving circular marks. The belt runs in a straight line, leaving straight marks. I seldom use my combo disc and flat belt, it just sits in a back corner for occasional use. Most times I want a spindle sander for inside shapes or a belt edge sander for outside shapes and straight work. Both can be used on metal but you have to be aware of the sparks the sander will create. Usually not a good thing around sawdust and certainly not for a sawdust collector. Helps to use the appropriate type of sandpaper and grit for the material being worked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode