Did I miss a deal? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 10-07-2011, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

View yocalif's Photo Album My Photos
Did I miss a deal?

I hit a couple of garage sales today advertising tools and woodworking equip.

At one the guy who owned the house was a serious woodworker before he died. The many diy jigs hanging on the wall of his small shop showed how serious and the quality of his work. Apparently this was the 2nd week of selling off his stuff. The piece that I have a question about is a Sterling 3/4HP 14" bandsaw. As I mentioned in another thread I am looking for a 14" bandsaw. The seller wanted $150, the saw was 10 years old on a stand with dolly wheel base so it would be easy to move, mfg in Taiwan, the price was $150. I had them start the saw, it sounded ok, but I could tell that that something was barely hitting the blade shield at the back of the throat. Opening the top of the housing the sound went away.

I offered $100, the seller countered $125 and said that was as low as he would go. So I said let me think about it, while thinking I am looking for other small things to get thrown into the deal to justify the extra $25. I found a precision solid steel square (like rockler's) a caliper, compass, and another measuring tool, used but all in great shape. They were sort of hidden. So I try again to get these thrown into the $125 price, but the seller want $10 for the extras.

My thinking is:
1st I want to buy used equip as such a good price that if I don't like it I can turn around and sell it and not lose any more or very little.

2nd He is thinking he might lose $50 bucks, but I'm thinking Sterling is no longer made and if something breaks I can't easily find parts, so he may be out $50 I'm out $125 if I can't fix or sell it, I'm the one taking the risk. Beside I am current on the market he wasn't there are multiple 14" Bandsaws either China mad or Taiwan made all selling used but in excellent condition for $150, and most of those companies are still in business thus parts would be available.

Did I miss a good deal?

Also surprise of surprises, also in the shop was a Grizzly G1182z jointer almost the exact same model as the one I just bought Wed. The price was the same, however the in/out feed tables and fence had light rust on them, no mobile base.

Here is my thought, the home sale ends tomorrow, I am going to call the seller about 10am and offer him $220 for both the jointer & bandsaw. He won't like it but they haven't sold in two weeks, I can show him where the grizz can be had for $150 and the band saw for $100, he will counter for $250.

I will clean up the jointer and bandsaw, tune them, and keep the better of the two jointers and either keep or sell the band saw, but at $250 I should be to get $400 for them, making a small profit, that can go toward better equip.

Pros / Cons ????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-10-2011, 05:41 PM
No Longer Here

View johnray's Photo Album My Photos
deal

Sounds good to me. I've been making a living buying and selling tools for 18 years. course it ain't what it used to be but what is?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode