Did I kill it? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 04-16-2013, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

View jones_m_s's Photo Album My Photos
Did I kill it?

I got a radial arm saw (Black and Decker/ model 7740/3421 type 3) from a friend. I used it twice, bound up the blade and now it won't run. I tried the breaker button, and it won't go all the way back in the housing. Did I kill the poor thing? Can I get replacement parts to fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-16-2013, 08:36 PM

View Roger Newby's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones_m_s View Post
I got a radial arm saw (Black and Decker/ model 7740/3421 type 3) from a friend. I used it twice, bound up the blade and now it won't run. I tried the breaker button, and it won't go all the way back in the housing. Did I kill the poor thing? Can I get replacement parts to fix it?

If you're lucky, you killed it.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-16-2013, 08:45 PM
crosseyed & dyslexic

View Crusader's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Newby View Post
If you're lucky, you killed it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-16-2013, 10:54 PM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
That B&D was also sold as a DeWalt. A lot of guys like them and if it were mine, I'd fix it if it didn't have anything serious wrong with it.

Can you be more specific about what is wrong? Will the the blade/shaft turn by hand or is it locked up? What happens when you turn on the power? Nothing? Does it hum?

You might have a bad overload protector (the breaker button) assuming the motor still turns freely. An electric motor shop may have a replacement.

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to dodgeboy77 For This Useful Post:
jones_m_s (04-26-2013)
post #5 of 7 Old 04-16-2013, 11:41 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
little red button?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones_m_s View Post
That's a thermal overload and can be reset. It's sometimes a bit tricky and you have to push it in further than you think. Or hold it in for a second...can't remember. Just make sure all the other wires and switches are in good working condition. Usually a too small extension cord is the issue if it keeps tripping. It should not be used that way, so use a direct plug into an outlet rated at 15 AMPs minimum with no other appliances on the circuit.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
jones_m_s (04-26-2013)
post #6 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

View jones_m_s's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy77 View Post
That B&D was also sold as a DeWalt. A lot of guys like them and if it were mine, I'd fix it if it didn't have anything serious wrong with it.

Can you be more specific about what is wrong? Will the the blade/shaft turn by hand or is it locked up? What happens when you turn on the power? Nothing? Does it hum?

You might have a bad overload protector (the breaker button) assuming the motor still turns freely. An electric motor shop may have a replacement.

Bill
The blade still turns by hand, and there is no hum. I was using a 12 gauge extension cord, which I knew was a dumb move, but I didn't have my yellow-jacket. Funny thing is, I compared it to other pics online and it doesn't look like it is any further out than any one else's.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-26-2013, 02:24 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Your 12 GA cord was fine

As long as it wasn't a 100 ft long. When the thing "quit" what actually happened? It just stopped dead? One time only? If so, it may just be a bad connection under a screw on the switch or plug.
If it was under load and stalled out, then quit, then it's a thermal overload type breaker and should be able to be reset. Sometimes those things go bad, but they can be found online...I found some once, but can't remember where. If you are electric savy, you can bypass the overload just to see it will work and that's the issue. Then replace it later. As others said it may be the starting capacitor and that can be removed and check, but watch out it may give you a jolt if you don't ground it out first.
If all else fails, take it to a motor repair shop and they can determine what the issue is. It may not be worth repaing, but then again it might be something simple and cheap.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode