Diablo saw blade: to Teflon or not to Teflon - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 12-14-2009, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

View pabloj13's Photo Album My Photos
Diablo saw blade: to Teflon or not to Teflon

I just got a new 10" Hitachi sliding compound miter and am looking for a nice blade for crosscutting.

Is it really worth getting the red Diablo?

I was thinking of getting the LU91M010 over the LU91R010.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-15-2009, 08:47 AM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
The LU91 is from Freud's Industrial series, not their Diablo contractor line....the Industrial line has thicker carbide, better anti-vibration slots, and far better selection of both full and thin kerf blades (a step up). The "Permashield" coating makes it easier to clean (and find in the blade rack! ), but isn't worth much of a premium IMHO....I don't avoid it, but don't pay much extra either.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-15-2009, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotscott View Post
The LU91 is from Freud's Industrial series, not their Diablo contractor line....the Industrial line has thicker carbide, better anti-vibration slots, and far better selection of both full and thin kerf blades (a step up). The "Permashield" coating makes it easier to clean (and find in the blade rack! ), but isn't worth much of a premium IMHO....I don't avoid it, but don't pay much extra either.

I am just getting started woodworking. I just built a toy chest for my daughter and am looking for smooth crosscuts on hardwood trim. Is it worth going to the 80 tooth for crosscutting? Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-15-2009, 09:31 AM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
I am just getting started woodworking. I just built a toy chest for my daughter and am looking for smooth crosscuts on hardwood trim. Is it worth going to the 80 tooth for crosscutting? Thanks for your help.
"It depends" is really the answer. Tooth count is one aspect, but there are many other factors that are not always created equal between various blades. The tooth grind and geometry play a big roll too. As does the basic quality of the steel, the sharpening, etc. If all other blade parameters are equal, more teeth will give a cleaner cut, but they also pose more resistance, more heat, and are more prone to burning...60T to 80T for a 10" blade is about the sweetspot. The LU91 uses an Alternate Top Bevel grind (ATB), which is one of the cleaner cutting grinds that also has good tip life, and combines that grind with a negative hook angle which will reduce tearout. A more positive hook would cut faster and more aggressively, but would also have more tearout.

You should get fairly clean cuts with the LU91....I've never heard a complaint from someone who was disappointed with that blade. Blades like the Infinity 010-060, Infinity 010-080, Freud LU79 & LU80, Forrest Duraline, and Forrest WWI, use a "Hi-ATB" grind that has an even steeper bevel across the top of teeth for even less tearout than a standard ATB grind. The downside is slightly faster wear, but for hobby use it should still last a long time if you keep it clean (maybe 1-3 years depending on usage, maintenance, and the materials). One thing I like about the Infinity 010-060 is in addition to being a very clean cutting blade, it can also be used for a lot of tasks on a TS...clean rips to ~ 5/4", fine crosscuts, and is an excellent plywood blade (on sale for $60).
post #5 of 6 Old 12-15-2009, 09:37 AM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
I've been a hobbiest woodworker for 30 years, or so. I've never seen such excellent and succinctly presented info in one place regarding saw blades. Thanks so much knotscott!
post #6 of 6 Old 12-15-2009, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Howe View Post
I've been a hobbiest woodworker for 30 years, or so. I've never seen such excellent and succinctly presented info in one place regarding saw blades. Thanks so much knotscott!
Definitely. You guys are awesome in this forum. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode