Dewalt Planer or Porter Cable Planer - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 05-26-2018, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

View nickm62388's Photo Album My Photos
Question Dewalt Planer or Porter Cable Planer

Im just starting out, I recently picked up an old craftsman jointer that works great, I have a miter saw and an old craftsman table saw that does the job....I have been eyeing the Dewalt DW734 Planer for a while now, but the price is a little steep for me right now $399. I recently started watching videos and reviews on the $270 Porter Cable planer and it seems like a smarter idea for just starting out. Once I started using my jointer and making perfect face and edge on one side, I realized I need the planer to, for perfect parallel sides and edges.....

Any tips or guidance on making the right pick between the dewalt and porter cable...Obvy the Dewalt has better features and such, but for $130 more. I am just starting out so I will be using it periodically for little crafts and ideas here and there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-26-2018, 08:52 AM
woodworking in the garage

View ggosack's Photo Album My Photos
Pick a planer

I was in the same situation and settled on the Porter Cable Planer. For the money and amount of use it gets (hobby) - it does a very good job.
Glenn
post #3 of 7 Old 05-26-2018, 11:06 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I picked up a gently used Dewalt 735 planer for $350 last November. I am very pleased with it. It took patience until the right deal came along. That was the model I wanted, and I waited for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-26-2018, 07:45 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Since both DeWalt and Porter Cable share the same parent company, my guess they are made on the same line with little difference. Think of Chevrolet and GMC pickup trucks.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #5 of 7 Old 05-27-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
Since both DeWalt and Porter Cable share the same parent company, my guess they are made on the same line with little difference. Think of Chevrolet and GMC pickup trucks.
Have you looked at the DeWalt and Porter Cable planers? They are quite different from one another. I doubt that they have interchangeable parts. With respect, I believe that they are made separately by DeWalt and Porter Cable under the management umbrella of the parent company.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-27-2018, 12:25 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
Have you looked at the DeWalt and Porter Cable planers? They are quite different from one another. I doubt that they have interchangeable parts. With respect, I believe that they are made separately by DeWalt and Porter Cable under the management umbrella of the parent company.
You may be right. There may be more to it than just yellow and gray.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #7 of 7 Old 05-27-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
You may be right. There may be more to it than just yellow and gray.
Me, too.

Off topic:
I find it mildly amusing that tool companies have staked out certain colors for themselves, each one unique and distinct. (Yeah, I know that many companies in non-woodworking fields do the same thing.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode