• 1 Post By KevinM
  • 1 Post By difalkner
  • 1 Post By firehawkmph
  • 1 Post By justdraftn

post #1 of 16 Old 02-26-2019, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Go the distance!

View justdraftn's Photo Album My Photos
Dewalt DW735 planer

Just about ready to pull the trigger on a Dewalt DW735 planer.
Replacing my Dad's Porter/Cable.
Thoughts/comments/experiences welcome.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-26-2019, 01:24 PM

View sbrader's Photo Album My Photos
I have had mine for a couple of years. It has worked very well for me. I would like to get a bigger, stationary unit at some point, but I don't have the space for one in my shop now. Until then, I'll keep cranking wood through this one.

Scott
post #3 of 16 Old 02-26-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Go the distance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrader View Post
I have had mine for a couple of years. It has worked very well for me. I would like to get a bigger, stationary unit at some point, but I don't have the space for one in my shop now. Until then, I'll keep cranking wood through this one.

Scott
Thanks! for the reply.

How many time have you replaced the knives?
Any problems I have seen w/chips getting clogged in the gears?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 02-26-2019, 01:42 PM

View sbrader's Photo Album My Photos
I have not changed the knives. I do not take aggressive cuts, so my knives are still in great shape. I have mine connected to my DC, so the chips have not been a problem (except the one time I started the planer before the DC, but that was a boneheaded move on my part - not the fault of the planer).
justdraftn likes this.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-26-2019, 06:27 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I really wanted a DW735. Opportunities for other planers came and went, but I held out for a DW735. Finally, someone I know had a used one for sale in excellent condition for a great price ($350), so I bought.

I have been happy ever since. I have not changed the blades since I bought it, but like @sbrader, I take only the finest cuts. I don't mind taking the time for a few extra passes.

Caveats:

* Inner Dust Collection Port Size:
The inner dust collection port is 2 1/4 inches, not 2 1/2 inches. A shop vac dust collection hose butts up against it, instead of inserting as you would expect. I had to buy a couple parts to adapt it so I could plug the shop vac hose into it.

* Inner Dust Collection Port Can't Keep Up:
Even if you could connect a shop vac to it, it probably won't work. The DW735 generates so many chips so fast that no shop vac dust collector can keep up. The DW735 has a built in fan to blow them out. My shop vac setup barely works, but only because I make very light passes on thin boards. Otherwise, the output blows the lid off the dust separator, literally. Some guys run their DW735 outside and put a 4 inch hose at the bottom of a large trashcan.

* Noise:
They are LOUD. Wear hearing protection!! A helical cutter like the Shelix reduces the noise somewhat and adds many other improvements, but they are expensive.

Note: I have not flipped the blades yet. I don't know if the previous owner already flipped them once. My DW735 still produces nearly glass-smooth results, straight from its previous owner.
justdraftn likes this.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-26-2019, 06:43 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
I had a DW733 that ran great for 20 years and then one day to the next gave up the ghost. So about 18 months ago we replaced it with the DW735 and it has been a really nice upgrade. I looked at a stationary big planer, 18" with helical knives, but simply don't have room for that and I couldn't justify 2-3 times the cost for a 15" big planer for just another 2" capacity.

We have a HF 2HP dust collector and it keeps up just fine but you definitely have to turn the DC on first or the planer will try to blow hoses off or over inflate the bag! It's a powerful blower, for sure.

And yes, it is loud but I wear hearing protection anyway for every tool in the shop except the drill press and cordless drills.

David
justdraftn likes this.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #7 of 16 Old 02-26-2019, 06:58 PM

View KevinM's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrader View Post
I have not changed the knives. I do not take aggressive cuts, so my knives are still in great shape. I have mine connected to my DC, so the chips have not been a problem (except the one time I started the planer before the DC, but that was a boneheaded move on my part - not the fault of the planer).

I am the same way with my DW734 light cuts and have had it for about 3years now but I have run blades on occasion across a stone.I heard a three blade was the way to go but she sure was groaning on some purpleheart the other night I was eyeing the new blades.
justdraftn likes this.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-26-2019, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Go the distance!

Thanks! for all the replys.

Could someone post the LxWxH on these.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-26-2019, 09:35 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
According to a quick Google search it is 24 x 22 x 19 inches. Btw, there are several improvements on the 735 over the 733/734 - auto lock so you don't have to press the lock bar down, lower profile, wider cut, and two feed speeds.

David
justdraftn likes this.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #10 of 16 Old 02-27-2019, 10:32 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Make sure you get the accessory infeed and outfeed table extensions if you don't have them already. Check them for being level with the bed often, they do have a tendency to move a little. You'll know when it's time to switch the knives. When they get dull, the wood will not want to self feed. Don't send any dirty wood through, doesn't take much to dull or nick the knives. Also, I don't plane any wood that's been sitting in someone's attic for thirty years and case hardened. Ruined a set of knives doing that. Like mentioned above, plan on a real dust collector. Use a Jet 1100 cfm.
Mike Hawkins
justdraftn likes this.
post #11 of 16 Old 02-27-2019, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Go the distance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Make sure you get the accessory infeed and outfeed table extensions if you don't have them already. Check them for being level with the bed often, they do have a tendency to move a little. You'll know when it's time to switch the knives. When they get dull, the wood will not want to self feed. Don't send any dirty wood through, doesn't take much to dull or nick the knives. Also, I don't plane any wood that's been sitting in someone's attic for thirty years and case hardened. Ruined a set of knives doing that. Like mentioned above, plan on a real dust collector. Use a Jet 1100 cfm.
Mike Hawkins
Thanks! The package I'm looking at is planer/table exts/extra set of knives.
post #12 of 16 Old 02-27-2019, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Go the distance!

….and just like that....there it is.
A few quick alterations to my flip top and
it is ready to rock and roll.
Simi ridged vacuum pipe that has been
laying around fits perfect.
Dewalt DW735 planer-img_1558.jpg

Dewalt DW735 planer-img_1559.jpg

Dewalt DW735 planer-img_1561.jpg

Got a couple of 2x8 to glue up for new band saw boxes,
to practice on.
I love new toys.
difalkner likes this.
post #13 of 16 Old 02-27-2019, 09:22 PM

View regesullivan's Photo Album My Photos
I've had the DW735 for about a year. My plan was to by a shelix cutter when I went through the blades that came with it. I just recently flipped the first set. I'm still going to get the shelix because I get a bit of tear out on figured wood but mostly because I do a lot of end grain cutting boards. I've not had any problems taking shallow cuts.... yet. Gotta say I have not seen had the issue of going through blades like some reviewer's say.

If I had unlimited funds I probably would have a 20 inch Powermatic and a drum sander. That said, the DW735 does what I need to do and was well worth the money. I could even argue it paid for itself because I only buy from local sawmills instead of buying S4S from the lumberyard.
post #14 of 16 Old 02-28-2019, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Go the distance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by regesullivan View Post
I've had the DW735 for about a year. My plan was to by a shelix cutter when I went through the blades that came with it. I just recently flipped the first set. I'm still going to get the shelix because I get a bit of tear out on figured wood but mostly because I do a lot of end grain cutting boards. I've not had any problems taking shallow cuts.... yet. Gotta say I have not seen had the issue of going through blades like some reviewer's say.

If I had unlimited funds I probably would have a 20 inch Powermatic and a drum sander. That said, the DW735 does what I need to do and was well worth the money. I could even argue it paid for itself because I only buy from local sawmills instead of buying S4S from the lumberyard.
You are planning end grain? ….and this does a good job?
I can't wait.

Never heard of a shelix cutter. Pretty amazing.
The shear/helix technology is pretty ingenious.
For the 735 OEM cutter looks like 30 cutters.
To replace all of them would be $100. …..but
you only need to replace any bad/dull ones.

Have you ever seen one of these in action?
post #15 of 16 Old 02-28-2019, 08:47 AM

View regesullivan's Photo Album My Photos
I've used them on a larger planer. There are a few disadvantages but a lot of benefits. The cost of a shilex is $350-$400 range. Sounds expensive but for all but a production shop it is a lifetime investment. There are 3 OEM blades and two speeds giving you 96 (fast) or 180 (slow) cuts per inch.

For the record, many speak of end grain planing as if it will destroy your planer, shoot chunks of wood out at high speed and chew up your project. I've never experienced any of that or any other problems other than a rough leading edge. Easily remedied by gluing on a sacrificial board or allowing extra leanth to start with. It does a great for me. I usually just finish up with 120, 150, 220 and rub in mineral oil on my cutting boards.

Last edited by regesullivan; 02-28-2019 at 09:02 AM.
post #16 of 16 Old 02-28-2019, 08:49 AM

View Maintenance Man's Photo Album My Photos
Paint will burn up a set of knives fast. Avoid it like you would metal, nails, etc.. That said changing the blades in the 735 couldn't be easier.

A handful of patience is worth a bushel of brains...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode