DeWalt DW 616 Router simple question. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 07-20-2020, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

View Grandfather's Photo Album My Photos
DeWalt DW 616 Router simple question.

Just bought a DeWalt combo router kit. I have emailed DeWalt... no answer...used the chat feature.... no answer.... caked and waited an hour and 15 minutes on hold only to be told at the end that they were not accepting calls. DeWalt customer service sucks! My simple questions:
What screwdriver tip ( name?) is used to remove faceplate...not Phipps or Flat. Do you use these same screws to attach to a 3 hole router table?
Thanks 🙏
Nolan
PS I’ve only had one router in my life, many years ago, and it was a Makita? and entirely different.
I used a router table to make moldings, frames and such in the past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-20-2020, 02:58 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Pretty sure they are Torx.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-20-2020, 03:10 PM

View Jim107's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
Pretty sure they are Torx.

That is correct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-20-2020, 03:58 PM
Smart and Cool

I'm going to add, there is no reason to call Dewalt about this, or spend 1.5 hours on the phone waiting on them. The internet is packed with good info, a little judicious searching will typically give you the answer in less than a few minutes.

A quick search of screw head types brings up many images that show the types of heads/drivers.

I'm not saying this to be mean, I'm trying to help you not waste time on something when you have an incredible amount of information right at your finger tips.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-21-2020, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I did manage to reach DeWalt via chat last night after 4 failed attempts. They are a Torx 20 and I have a set of Torx bits arriving tomorrow. I had 2 large sets of bits but nothing like this. DeWalt should have included in instructions along with a proper bit as many other companies would do. I got 4 tools with my sander...just saying.
Nolan
post #6 of 14 Old 07-21-2020, 01:52 PM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
Nolan, when a specific issues arises, which requires a specific answer,
tool, or method, good clear photos will narrow down the responses considerably.
glad you got it figured out !

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-21-2020, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

As for just looking up a photo? This is where you end up...just pick one (—; since I was unable to remove a screw l had no way of knowing screw size...and never would have guessed it. All of you guys are great! Gave me some a direction on my bandsaw problem and I have ordered rubber 3/16 (.18) versus the urethane (.09) and that should solve the problem.
Thanks again everyone
Nolan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	509CE840-64CA-4B36-A77F-A56D77F514B7_1595354063101.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	392761  

Click image for larger version

Name:	965C3C49-4E07-4BC5-9E5E-5C3D03A54947_1595354107948.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	392763  

post #8 of 14 Old 07-21-2020, 03:19 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandfather View Post
Thanks guys, I did manage to reach DeWalt via chat last night after 4 failed attempts. They are a Torx 20 and I have a set of Torx bits arriving tomorrow. I had 2 large sets of bits but nothing like this. DeWalt should have included in instructions along with a proper bit as many other companies would do. I got 4 tools with my sander...just saying.
Nolan
I agree. If DeWalt decided to use Torx screws to hold their router base plates, they should have included a courtesy "freebee" L-shape torx wrench with the router. Every other router I have seen uses Phillips or flathead screws.

Torx screws are have become much more common these days. Small torx screws have been used on electronics for many years. You can't disassemble a computer, disk drive, and many other electronic components without them. Larger torx screws are used on modern vehicles, too. It doesn't surprise me to hear that they are appearing on new power tools.

I like Torx, because the driver is unlikely to slip out and strip the head, unlike Phillips or flathead screws. I have some high-end wood screws with Torx heads. I picked 'em up as surplus at the swap meet, but they can get expensive to buy at retail.

(Another screw type I like for the same reason are Robertson heads - square drive. We used them in Canada, and I see them on the shelf in woodworking stores, but otherwise they are not common in the US.)

Last edited by Tool Agnostic; 07-21-2020 at 03:21 PM.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-21-2020, 04:09 PM
Smart and Cool

I've had Torx drivers in my tool box for a couple of decades now, just assumed everyone had some.

Not sure why you would expect Dewalt to include the driver, they don't include a second faceplate, so there really wouldn't be a reason to ever take it off, from their perspective.

90% of the Torx drivers I have are actually bits, they come in an assortment of sizes, I just assumed you would get a set, that would have had the #20 in there as they are very common.

Last edited by shoot summ; 07-21-2020 at 04:22 PM.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-21-2020, 07:12 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
I've had Torx drivers in my tool box for a couple of decades now, just assumed everyone had some.

Not sure why you would expect Dewalt to include the driver, they don't include a second faceplate, so there really wouldn't be a reason to ever take it off, from their perspective.

90% of the Torx drivers I have are actually bits, they come in an assortment of sizes, I just assumed you would get a set, that would have had the #20 in there as they are very common.
Good points.

Woodworkers remove the baseplate when they want to use the router in a table, or attach a jig (like a circle-cutting jig), or other accessory baseplates. I do it often enough that I keep extra screws around, in case one gets lost in the sawdust.

I have had Torx drivers for many years too, but this is the first time I have ever heard of a woodworking tool with Torx screws. It isn't a bad idea to use Torx, but the fact remains that it isn't common in woodworking. That is why I believe that DeWalt should have included a 50 cent courtesy Torx wrench. Heck, they come with crappy, ready-to-assemble stuff all the time.

Yeah - For most things the freebee is an allen wrench, but I have seen a few torx wrenches, too.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-21-2020, 08:36 PM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Various tool boxes are filled with many types of drivers - torx, allen, phillips, square, slot, bristol, butterfly. As to woodworking, wherever my projects call for a screw, it's usually a torx or square drive, depending on application. I will use phillips (drywall screws) to attach plywood backs to shop projects, but that's about the only use I have for them. Oh, and an impact driver is a real step up for driving any screw type.

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-21-2020, 09:28 PM
Smart and Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
Good points.

Woodworkers remove the baseplate when they want to use the router in a table, or attach a jig (like a circle-cutting jig), or other accessory baseplates. I do it often enough that I keep extra screws around, in case one gets lost in the sawdust.

I have had Torx drivers for many years too, but this is the first time I have ever heard of a woodworking tool with Torx screws. It isn't a bad idea to use Torx, but the fact remains that it isn't common in woodworking. That is why I believe that DeWalt should have included a 50 cent courtesy Torx wrench. Heck, they come with crappy, ready-to-assemble stuff all the time.

Yeah - For most things the freebee is an allen wrench, but I have seen a few torx wrenches, too.
I get the mounting is a router table and the jigs.

Torx are pretty common on woodworking tools, my Bosch miter saw, has them, Older Dewalt ROS has them holding on the pad, they are T20, might have been one of the 4 tools that came with his sander. Bosch router uses them, the list goes on and on, most of the screws I use anymore are Torx drive.

They aren't new to the trade, many just haven't noticed them...
post #13 of 14 Old 07-22-2020, 10:40 AM

View kiwi_outdoors's Photo Album My Photos
Torx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandfather View Post
Nolan
AND

if you want to change the light bulb in your microwave you will likely need a Torx Security screwdriver (bit). (Panasonic microwave).

The screwdriver madness never ends.

Retired engineer-bureaucrat in Oakland, CA. Been working with wood since the 1960's. From the 50's if you count the scrap woodpile on the farm!
post #14 of 14 Old 07-26-2020, 06:53 PM

View FlyingHammer's Photo Album My Photos
Torx and/or square drive heads are far superior to any Phillips, and fortunately they're becoming more common in the big box stores. I refuse to buy anything else.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode