Dewalt 925 radial arm - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 09-22-2017, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

View Steve Tsigounis's Photo Album My Photos
Dewalt 925 radial arm

Im new to this forum and was wondering if anyone had experience with the vintage, (1959-1960)925 RAS. I just bought one in excellent condition. It was wired for 220. It ran fine at the sellers home. When I got it home I converted to 110, as per the institutions, but when I ran it there is a clicking in the electrical panel when it first starts up, a single click, and when I shut it down there is another 3 clicks. I believe its the brake doing this. I don't want to run it if there is a possibility of creating a motor problem..
any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-23-2017, 12:57 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tsigounis View Post
Im new to this forum and was wondering if anyone had experience with the vintage, (1959-1960)925 RAS. I just bought one in excellent condition. It was wired for 220. It ran fine at the sellers home. When I got it home I converted to 110, as per the institutions, but when I ran it there is a clicking in the electrical panel when it first starts up, a single click, and when I shut it down there is another 3 clicks. I believe its the brake doing this. I don't want to run it if there is a possibility of creating a motor problem..
any help would be appreciated!
It is a potential relay that is making the clicking sound, Delta's do the same thing, at least the one I have that is about the same vintage

They should have never used a pot relay in them, but I suppose it works better than a centrifugal switch in a dusty environment

A potential relay opens up from the back electromotive force or EMF created by the start windings, when wired into 110 as the motor powers down there isn't enough back EMF to hold the relay closed so it will drop out then as the force builds up again it will open the relay and drain the force again. It really won't hurt anything, just the nature of the beast

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode