Dewalt 7491rs Table Saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bill.marshall.94

post #1 of 6 Old 06-14-2017, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

View bill.marshall.94's Photo Album My Photos
Dewalt 7491rs Table Saw

any ideas on how to replace the aluminium fence, with a wooden one, to add tracks for feather boards or Jessem guides or maybe a after market one? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-14-2017, 08:01 AM

View Techsniffer's Photo Album My Photos
As someone that has a low end contractors saw, options for upgrades are either extremely limited or simply non-existent. They simply aren't designed to use 99% of aftermarket products due to how the fences are built and attached to the saw, and built and with T style miter tracks rather than the more common slot.

I picked up a low end Ryobi contractor table saw about 6 months ago and I've had nothing but frustration when trying to use it, opting to use an edge guide and circular saw to make most of the cuts I would have likely made on the table saw. It just takes so much longer to setup the janky fence to make a relatively precise cut (even then the fence flexes most of the time during the cut) vs clamping an edge guide and hitting it with the circular saw.

I spent over a month trying to find ways to make my TS passable to no avail, so I've been prepping my shop space to buy a 'big boy' Sawstop PCS towards the end of the year as I would rather spend more money to have a quality product vs trying to spend time and money trying to make an inferior product work how it should to begin with. I want to build, not constantly have to fuss and jack with my tools and then pray for a quality or precise cut.

I'm not saying you won't have better luck than I did, but I guess it really boils down to what your time is worth and how much you want to mess with your tools rather than just using them.

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
post #3 of 6 Old 06-14-2017, 08:42 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Good advice from previous post, but IMO it also depends on "you get what you pay for"! Usually a better quality first buy is a better investment for your $. Consider doing research, (on-line, magazines, books, etc.) as to items you want/need to improve on your TS. As you stated " what is your time, effort, & material worth". Be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-14-2017, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

I found a way to do it, I took and made a new fence from two 1/2" mdf, glued them, laminated them, cut the dado, then added the track, then I recalibrated the scale to match, held against original fence with rockler
clamps.. I'll buy a better table saw, need to sell this one first.

post #5 of 6 Old 06-14-2017, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

thanks everyone

post #6 of 6 Old 06-15-2017, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

this is what I came up with...

Toolman50 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to bill.marshall.94 For This Useful Post:
woodchux (06-17-2017)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode