5Likes
  • 1 Post By gmercer_48083
  • 1 Post By Ron_J
  • 1 Post By gmercer_48083
  • 1 Post By WesTex

post #1 of 6 Old 08-20-2018, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

View new2woodwrk's Photo Album My Photos
Dewalt 734 questions

I've got my new/remanufactured Dewalt 734 set up and ran a few boards through it - all pallet boards.

A few questions if you please...

I'm noticing on the left side where the gauge is seems to cut better than the right side - is this normal?

When I run a board through it, it does not remove all of the top layer - is this because the wood maybe bowed or do the blades need replacing? It does take off about about 1/2 of the layer but leaves spots every few inches.

Is it normal to run a board through and then have to adjust the depth before running the other side through?

In the video's I've watched they only show running the board through and adjusting the height only on the first pass so very confused if I'm doing something wrong, or if the planer or blades are defective or the wood is just really poor quality.

Thanks as always in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-20-2018, 12:46 PM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Pallets are generally made using crudely sawed lumber. If the board has a slant to the width, it creates a slant to the width on the opposite side. If you take a flat un cupped/warped board, and plane it...you should end up with an equally thicknessed board. If not across the width, check the blades...they may not be set to the same depth widthwise.

Each pass remove a given amount, so when you take the next pass you must increase its depth.
new2woodwrk likes this.

Gary

Last edited by gmercer_48083; 08-20-2018 at 12:49 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-20-2018, 02:48 PM

View Ron_J's Photo Album My Photos
This is what has worked best for me, Raise the cutter enough to put the board in the planer (with it turned off). Lower it until it just touches the board. Remove the board, then lower the cutters 1/2 turn. put the board thru. Lower the cutter 1/2 turn then put the board thru with the SAME SIDE UP. and repeat till it has cut along the entire surface (might take a couple passes depending on the shape of the board). Then I turn the board and repeat. Once I get the board to where it has been surfaced pretty much all the way across the board, I start alternating ends and sides, flipping it after each cut, and lowering the cutter 1/2 turn each time thru.

This goes against what I was always taught, and that was to always flip after every cut from beginning to end, but this has given me better results.
new2woodwrk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-20-2018, 03:02 PM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Another tip, if you notice tear out spin the board (same side up) end for end. Then when you plane the other side the board should be flipped end for end for no tear out on the opposing side.
new2woodwrk likes this.

Gary
post #5 of 6 Old 08-20-2018, 05:12 PM

View WesTex's Photo Album My Photos
Another tip: Joint one face first to get one flat face, then send it thru the planer (jointed face down) to make the other face flat & parallel to the jointed one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
new2woodwrk likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-20-2018, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

View new2woodwrk's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks all, greatly appreciate the tips - will be trying these techniques after I make a simple sled and jig for the planer this week.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode