Dewalt 733 - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 05-25-2011, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

View Scoma's Photo Album My Photos
Dewalt 733

I bought a Dewalt player, model 733 off Craigslist today for $220. It looks pretty much new, and judging by the sample piece I ran through it, the knives are sharp and not nicked. I wanted to consult yall before I pulled the trigger on it but didn't have time. Tell me I didn't get hosed (unless I got hosed)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-25-2011, 10:14 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
A 733 is a couple of generations behind the newer models, but a fine planer none the less. I believe the 733 was the last model that had the 2 blade system. In good condition with the blades in good shape, $220 seems like a fair price to me. It should serve you well. Good luck.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #3 of 7 Old 05-25-2011, 10:48 PM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
I bought a used one a couple years ago and have been really pleased with it. I paid about what you did. It works well and has little snipe. Good luck with it - I think you did good!

Incidentally, Kenbo is correct. The 733 was the last two-blader. The 734 is nearly identical in appearance but runs three blades. I noticed that Lowe's dropped the price of the 733 blades in the last year. They aren't double-sided but can be re-sharpened.

Bill

Last edited by dodgeboy77; 05-25-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-26-2011, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Good to hear! Now if I can just find some time to spend in the shop I'll be in great shape.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-26-2011, 08:04 AM
woodbutcherer

View jstange2's Photo Album My Photos
Buy it. I've had my 733 for over ten years and have put thousands of board feet through it and haven't had to change blades yet.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-27-2011, 12:56 AM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
I bought my 733 before I retired. (Before May 2003) I was stupid and threw out my first set of blades when they became dull. I have sharpened the second set twice now.

I don't know how many thousand feet I've run through the planer and it still screams along. (It is noisy.)

There are a few of tricks to all of these lunch box planers.

1 ~ When ever possible, feed the wood on a diagonal. Just feed the wood at an angle to use the entire blade for the operation.

2 ~ Try not to do a depth of cut more than 1/64" at a time.

3 ~ DO NOT attempt to plane off dried glue squeeze out. You will only knick the blades.

The logic behind this is to use the entire blade for the cut and to keep the blades cool. The part of the blade not cutting is spinning in the air and cooling itself. A DeWalt engineer told me that heat is the major enemy of planer blades. He was astounded that I could run as much wood as I do through the planer and not have to change blades every few months. I usually go several years between sharpening or blade changes.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-27-2011, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

All very good information, and thanks for it. Hopefully I'll find some time this weekend to play with it instead of looking at her sitting on the workbench everytime I walk through my garage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode