Dewalt 34-670 table saw blade alignment - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 07-26-2015, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Recently retired

View OldGuy1's Photo Album My Photos
Dewalt 34-670 table saw blade alignment

I have an aging but still good 34-670 table saw. The blade (and motor spindle are not aligned with the miter gage slot. (Never has been, really) I have suffered through this for years and decided to finally address the problem.

Does anyone know how to adjust the alignment of the motor spindle so that the blade is parallel top the slot? The manual says that it is aligned at the factory, but I can see no obvious method of adjusting this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-26-2015, 01:55 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
There is lots of information about this online, a good start is this Rockler article that defines the terminology:
http://www.rockler.com/how-to/table-terminology/

A search for "table saw trunnion adjustment" will bring up several you tube videos and many sites explaining how to accomplish what you need.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #3 of 5 Old 07-26-2015, 02:09 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
a simple answer is ...

If you can turn the saw on it's back side you will see the trunnions are held to the table by 6 bolts, 3 at each end....usually.

The process is to deterimine by measuring to the slot from the tip of a tooth on the blade which direction the carriage assembly must move at the front... towards the slot or away from the slot.

To start this process you slightly loosen all but the bolt on which you want the carriage to pivot based on the aforementioned measurement. Pry it over, slightly and remeasure. Keep at this until the measurements are the same for the front of the blade and at the rear. The blade is a "plane" and what you are trying to do is make the plane of the blade parallel to the miter slot.

When you think you've got it snug the bolts and remeaasue again. If it's good, you have completed table saw alignnment 101....

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-01-2015, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Recently retired

View OldGuy1's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks to all that responded. I watched several videos, read an article and after several attempts, managed t get it aligned to 1mm. I'm happy with that. Heck, my eyes aren't that good anymore.

OldGuy
post #5 of 5 Old 08-01-2015, 09:05 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
If you are satisfied with your adjustment results, it is IMO one of those things you could/should have done years ago to save yourself the "suffering". Now you know how in case it happens again. Be safe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode