Delta T2 fence or whole new table saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 01-25-2012, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

View Butterbean's Photo Album My Photos
Delta T2 fence or whole new table saw

I have an old hand me down bench top (36-550 model) with a laughable fence. It also doesn't have any kind of blade guard or splitter.

I'm torn at whether it's a better move to buy a newer better saw or to put a couple hundred into the one I already have and purchase the T2 fence. I can then use the extra money to buy a planer and jointer, which I still don't own yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-25-2012, 07:27 PM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
You say its a bench top so that makes the decision very simple. Replace it!! You wont believe the difference when you start using a larger more quality saw. I went from a benchtop C-man to a Grizzly G0715P and the difference is unreal. The benchtops are dangerous machines especially without guards and splitters which mine didnt have either. IMO, putting a new upgraded fence on an old benchtop saw is like the people who buy $800 cars and then spend $5000 for wheels and stereos systems!!

I was also torn a year ago. Because I allready had a table saw, I wanted to buy other tools. In the end I went with the table saw and have been so happy. A good quality TS really makes woodworking more enjoyable. I spent so much time fighting the other saw that is was becoming irritating to even go to the woodshop and try and do something.

Also, if your patient, the same "couple hundred" you want to spend on an upgraded fence can get you a much better saw on CL. There are folks who regularly buy full size contractor saws for less that $200. I'd bet theres some listed on your local CL right now!!

BTW, welcome to WWT!!

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!

Last edited by BassBlaster; 01-25-2012 at 07:31 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-25-2012, 07:30 PM

View troyd1976's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to troyd1976
Most benchtops you cant put an aftermarket fence on..id take a tape mesure and check the depth of that benchtop saw's table front to back. id be willing to bet its more in the 24" range rather than the 27" that the t-2 and most every aftermarket fence requires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-25-2012, 08:33 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
I think it'd be a tough install to put a full size aftermarket fence on a small benchtop saw....I'd sell it for what you can get, and put the proceeds toward a full size saw with a belt drive induction motor that has some upgrade potential.

Full size saws like these sell in the $100-$200 range frequently in my area...sometimes for less:

post #5 of 5 Old 01-25-2012, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

View Butterbean's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks guys. I appreciate your input. I kinda have my eye on the grizzly g0715p.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode