Delta Scroll Saw Price Check - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 03-24-2013, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

View calcnerd's Photo Album My Photos
Question Delta Scroll Saw Price Check

Guy is asking $150 OBO. Comes with the stand. Guy says it was hardly used at all...almost brand new. He's holding it for me until tomorrow when I'm stopping over to look at it. Thoughts? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3Ed3K53Md5K85Ha5J7d33280459dedbf810d8.jpg
Views:	1523
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	66552  

Name:	3E43G93H45Gc5E65Mfd3367addec0ce1d1ea8.jpg
Views:	1201
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	66553  

Name:	3J43pd3Hf5N75Fd5Hbd33dd6abcbecdd51fb3.jpg
Views:	1865
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	66554  

Attached Images

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-24-2013, 06:58 PM
RAM Man

View sweensdv's Photo Album My Photos
It looks like a Model SS-350LS. I've had that model for quite a few years and although I don't use it very often I like it when I do. I can't remember when it was that Delta quit making them but I think it was about two or three Corporate owners ago. When I bought mine, brand new, I paid $189 for it so you decide if that one is worth that asking price.

Dave

Life is like a roll of toilet paper.
The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
The Following User Says Thank You to sweensdv For This Useful Post:
calcnerd (03-26-2013)
post #3 of 11 Old 03-25-2013, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Went to look at it today. It's the SS350. I picked it up for $100.

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-25-2013, 11:12 PM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
Good luck with your new saw.

When I looked at the middle picture I chuckled at the similarity of the black motor to a lawn mower engine. A gas powered scroll saw!

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to dodgeboy77 For This Useful Post:
calcnerd (03-26-2013)
post #5 of 11 Old 03-26-2013, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Bill. I think the motor is that large b/c it has the variable speed unit integrated in there.

Tim
post #6 of 11 Old 03-26-2013, 10:18 AM
RAM Man

View sweensdv's Photo Album My Photos
Concrats on the new saw. If you don't already have a source for high quality blades Mikes Workshop is where I buy mine. He'll even send you some free samples to try.

Dave

Life is like a roll of toilet paper.
The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
The Following User Says Thank You to sweensdv For This Useful Post:
calcnerd (03-26-2013)
post #7 of 11 Old 03-28-2013, 11:06 AM

View Skiptooth's Photo Album My Photos
That Delta SS350 is a really decent scroll saw for a 16" bench top. I picked one up off Craigslist a couple of years ago for 150 bucks, but it was new in the box, so I felt it was worth it. The Quick Set II blade chucks on them are no longer available as a complete assembly, although you can still currently buy replacement jaws and a couple of the other individual parts for them if needed.
The screw pins in the rear that connect the link to the upper and lower arms are prone to wear and the owner's manual says to use sewing machine or 3in1 oil for lube, but that thin stuff just seemed to get flung off and make a mess as well as collect sawdust, so I removed the left side of the saw's housing and cleaned everything up, then lubed all the wear points with the Superlube silicone oil in the pinpoint applicator instead, which is thicker and clings much better. It runs smooth as silk. Enjoy the new saw.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-24-2013, 10:13 PM
DRTYBYRD

View abetrman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiptooth View Post
That Delta SS350 is a really decent scroll saw for a 16" bench top. I picked one up off Craigslist a couple of years ago for 150 bucks, but it was new in the box, so I felt it was worth it. The Quick Set II blade chucks on them are no longer available as a complete assembly, although you can still currently buy replacement jaws and a couple of the other individual parts for them if needed.
The screw pins in the rear that connect the link to the upper and lower arms are prone to wear and the owner's manual says to use sewing machine or 3in1 oil for lube, but that thin stuff just seemed to get flung off and make a mess as well as collect sawdust, so I removed the left side of the saw's housing and cleaned everything up, then lubed all the wear points with the Superlube silicone oil in the pinpoint applicator instead, which is thicker and clings much better. It runs smooth as silk. Enjoy the new saw.
Skiptooth, I am looking at picking up this SS as well. I asked the local SS expert Kenbo and his only concern from looking at it was about table vibration. As you own one already, would you consider that to be an issue?
post #9 of 11 Old 05-25-2013, 08:08 AM

View Skiptooth's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by abetrman View Post
Skiptooth, I am looking at picking up this SS as well. I asked the local SS expert Kenbo and his only concern from looking at it was about table vibration. As you own one already, would you consider that to be an issue?
The one I have runs very smooth and quite with little or no vibration throughout the entire speed range. The mounting base and table are both made of cast iron, so it is very heavy for a 16" bench top saw. I believe it weighs in at 59 LBs, which according to Dewalt is the same weight as their larger 20" DW788.

The only thing that I would worry about is spare parts. Delta discontinued the QuickSet II blade chuck assembly a couple of years ago, so now only some, but not all, of the individual parts that make up the chucks are available to rebuild them if they break. The blade chucks on my saw still work fine, but if they do eventually break, depending on what part it is, I might be out of luck.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-25-2013, 01:44 PM
DRTYBYRD

View abetrman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiptooth View Post
The one I have runs very smooth and quite with little or no vibration throughout the entire speed range. The mounting base and table are both made of cast iron, so it is very heavy for a 16" bench top saw. I believe it weighs in at 59 LBs, which according to Dewalt is the same weight as their larger 20" DW788.

The only thing that I would worry about is spare parts. Delta discontinued the QuickSet II blade chuck assembly a couple of years ago, so now only some, but not all, of the individual parts that make up the chucks are available to rebuild them if they break. The blade chucks on my saw still work fine, but if they do eventually break, depending on what part it is, I might be out of luck.
Thanks Skiptooth. That is definitely something to consider. For the price of the one I am looking at, I think it's worth a try. I am looking for a "starter" for me and something that may interest the wife in doing scroll work. If it turns out to be something we both like, we will probably upgrade at a later date.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-26-2013, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by abetrman View Post
Thanks Skiptooth. That is definitely something to consider. For the price of the one I am looking at, I think it's worth a try. I am looking for a "starter" for me and something that may interest the wife in doing scroll work. If it turns out to be something we both like, we will probably upgrade at a later date.
Just as an update I've had this for a couple months now and love it. I've made some very nice projects and it has no vibration if that's what you're worried about. Good luck if you pick it up!

Tim
The Following User Says Thank You to calcnerd For This Useful Post:
abetrman (05-27-2013)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode