Woodworking Talk banner

Delta RC-33

7K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  StevenWoodward 
#1 ·
I have a line on a Delta RC-33 planer in really good condition for $300. However it is a 3 phase motor and my shop is my garage. I was considering getting a VFD for it, which would run another $200-300. But for that money i could get a new "lunchbox" planer. I am wondering if the Delta would be worth the trouble. Also if anyone has any suggestions on using a VFD for an old 3 phase. I would appreciate any help.

#2 ·
You could probably replace the motor for the same price as the VFD.

What are you going to use a planer for? I have the Dewalt 735 with a Shelix head, works great for what I do, but a real PITA if you want to surface a lot of lumber as it just wont take a deep cut like the RC33 will.

I'd like to have a larger machine, but I don't have the space for it, that's the other consideration.

#6 ·
I have the same planer. It works great. Mines a 1 phase, 2 hp motor.

I think it's a great planer. I had a 12" Boice-Crane, before it, and a PM lunchbox, before that. The B-C was a beast, but with direct drive, took up a lot of space.

The difference between the RC-33 and the Lunchbox is huge. Not even considering the noise!

If it's in good shape, it's worth $300, if you are a person who can swap motors. I think the RC-33 with sharp knives, and a 1 hp motor would do a decent job. Not as big max cut, but how often do you have to do that.

If I needed a planer, I'd buy it and put a spare 1hp motor, I have on it, and wait for a 2hp to come along.

The table doesn't move, which people like for using in/out feed devices. With just 2x's or 1x6's I just feed in and 1/2 way thru switch to the outfeed side.

RC-33 vs. Lunchbox Remember the old saying, "You could have had a V-8" Buy the RC-33 is my vote. If your grand kids like woodworking, they will love it.

#7 ·
I bought a machine intending to change the motor out for a single phase one and found out it wasn't replaceable. At the time not knowing anything about phase converters it was recommended I get a rotary phase converter so I got one. Then after getting the phase converter three phase wasn't an issue anymore. There are a lot of great old machines out there cheap which run on three phase. It will just open a door for you. If I had to do it over again I would go with a VFD. The rotary converter has a motor itself you end up having to turn on and off every time you go to use the three phase equipment.

#8 ·
I purchased my RC-33 in 1984 and have had no trouble with it. Sharpening the 13 inch blades has been the biggest challenge. I used to get them done by a good sharpening shop, and they came back not only sharp but straight. Straight is important because you want all three blades to be cutting into the wood evenly. That sharpening shop went out of business in the 2009 recession and I could not find another local shop that would sharpen the blades straight. Straight means no light when sharp edge of blade is held against a steel ruler. I tried to sharpen blades myself with a Makita 9820-2 surface grinder. I could get them sharp but could not get the edge dead straight.

Finally decided to replace the cutter head with a Byrd Shelix helical segmented head. Glad I did: no more sharpening; no more knife setting; and much less tear-out when planing difficult wood. When the carbide cutters get dull, just rotate them 90 degrees to expose a new sharp edge. When all 4 edges have been used, then replace that cutter. Only the cutters which are chipped or dull need to be rotated, so no waste. It is a great system and cheaper than paying to have straight blades sharpened.

As there were no upgrade instructions available for the RC-33, I created a YouTube video which also shows lubrication and adjustments of the RC-33.

After watching the video, you may find it easier to work from written upgrade instructions, which are available in the following folder, along with other documents for the RC-33. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_Qm84_ZeMmsxgP-hHsI-Ppf39kiUOEU3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.