Delta 36-T30 T3 Table Saw Fence System? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 23 Old 12-01-2019, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

View SEMIJim's Photo Album My Photos
Delta 36-T30 T3 Table Saw Fence System?

Debating whether or not to use my vintage Delta 10" Contractor's Saw for a somewhat challenging cutting job. (See Cutting 1-3/4 in. Butcher Block? and 8-1/4" Circular Saw Blade For Cutting 1-3/4" Butcher Block? for background, if you're interested.

I long ago replaced the stamped steel wings with cast iron wings, flattened the table and aligned the saw using a TS Aligner Jr. I've been able to perform accurate cuts with that saw, but it always has been a bit of a challenge with the stock fence. And, as y'all know: If the fence isn't precisely parallel to the blade, Bad Things happen. I've never had kick-back, but the blade has occasionally bound a bit on what should have been a trivial rip--despite my taking great pains to get the fence locked-down right. There's no way I'd try what I need to do on that saw with its current fence.

So I'm thinking maybe upgrade the fence to that Delta 36-T30 T3 Table Saw Fence System. If you have a T3 version of that fence: How has it performed for you?

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -- John Ruskin (1819-1900)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-01-2019, 12:57 PM

View DavidR8's Photo Album My Photos
Are you not able to align the existing fence?
Pictures of the saw and fence would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 23 Old 12-01-2019, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR8 View Post
Are you not able to align the existing fence?
Align, or calibrate?

I calibrated it as best I could. The problem is it's not a t-square fence. It locks at both the front and back of the saw. So you have to be very careful, when setting it. And, even then, it may cock a bit when you lock it down. Short of painstakingly checking parallelism between fence and blade every time you lock it down, it's a bit of a crap shoot.

The other two problems are it's not particularly flat (it was abused in its former life) and it's not particularly rigid.

Quote:
Pictures of the saw and fence would be helpful.
Here's a pretty decent photo of the fence:

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -- John Ruskin (1819-1900)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 12-01-2019, 01:35 PM

Ahh the beloved Jetlock fence.
They are tricky to keep aligned but not impossible.
The fence you are looking at will be fine.

SEMIJim likes this.
post #5 of 23 Old 12-01-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Ahh the beloved Jetlock fence.
They are tricky to keep aligned but not impossible.
Ha! "Jetlock." Yes. I'd forgotten that was what it's called. And, yes: You nailed it. "Tricky but not impossible."

Quote:
The fence you are looking at will be fine.
Cool. Thanks!

I'll probably head on over to my favourite local tool store tomorrow and see what kind of price they can give me and how quickly they can have it in.

Lowe's has it on sale, right now, for the same as Amazon's normal price, but, as usual: Not in stock. Have to order. Amazon can have it to me in 2-3 days. Lowe's? A week. They lose a lot of my business that way--despite the fact I prefer to buy from them over Amazon.

post #6 of 23 Old 12-01-2019, 02:09 PM
No Longer Here

View bob493's Photo Album My Photos
I really wouldnt trust that fence with a 60"x30" solid butcher block counter top at all. I mean im sure you can make it work, but I'd still think the circular saw is the tool for the job here, unless you have some extra hands helping you out here.
post #7 of 23 Old 12-01-2019, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob493 View Post
I really wouldnt trust that fence with a 60"x30" solid butcher block counter top at all.
When you write "that fence," are you referring to my current fence or the fence I'm considering upgrading to?

Quote:
I mean im sure you can make it work, but I'd still think the circular saw is the tool for the job here, unless you have some extra hands helping you out here.
I can probably get a hand from my next door neighbour to one side, but I'm wondering if I'd even need to with the new fence, an auxiliary infeed roller and an auxiliary outfeed roller?

The fence upgrade was actually my wife's idea. When she wandered into the computer room, last night, I showed her the Kreg circular saw guide we'd been talking about and she said "Wouldn't it make more sense to get a better fence for your table saw than buy another tool?"

That, of course, was before she knew how much good TS fences cost

post #8 of 23 Old 12-01-2019, 02:34 PM
No Longer Here

Ah, I meant the one you have installed right now.

Now if you're stepping into an incra LS.... thats a different animal lol.

I make my own fences (usually), Is that delta one a true biesemeyer or does just "look" like a biesemeyer? Some import fences just have the look and not the function. Pic looks kinda chintzy for some reason. Is there a budget youre looking to hit here? Might be able to squeeze into something else a bit higher up.
post #9 of 23 Old 12-01-2019, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Ah, I meant the one you have installed right now.
Oh, hell no. I'd never for a moment consider trying it with the current fence.

Quote:
Is that delta one a true biesemeyer or does just "look" like a biesemeyer?
It doesn't claim to be a Biesemeyer. But, yeah, it does look like one.

Quote:
Pic looks kinda chintzy for some reason.
The photo on Amazon's product page, if that's what you're looking at, does not appear to be accurate. There are a couple customer photos on Amazon and a couple YouTube videos that show it much more clearly.

Quote:
Is there a budget youre looking to hit here? Might be able to squeeze into something else a bit higher up.
Thing is: If the customer ratings on Amazon are any guide: I'd have to go all the way up to a $330-$350 Vega to beat that Delta fence. The family CFO would never go for that. I'm not certain even I could justify it.

post #10 of 23 Old 12-01-2019, 02:57 PM
No Longer Here

Gotcha. I know the shop fox biesemeyers are good, my dad has one on his saw, never had an issue with it.

What table saw is that btw (model number i mean).

Does the rear end of the fence HOOK or is it a linear rail thing?
SEMIJim likes this.
post #11 of 23 Old 12-01-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Gotcha. I know the shop fox biesemeyers are good, my dad has one on his saw, never had an issue with it.
I'll take a look, but the budget is kind of constrained on this one.

Quote:
What table saw is that btw (model number i mean).
It's a vintage Delta Model 10 Contractor's Saw. How vintage? The base has the old "claw" style feet :)

Quote:
Does the rear end of the fence HOOK or is it a linear rail thing?
The rear of the fence does hook over the rear tube. Without that the fence wouldn't be very useful. Compared to modern T-square fences, it's not especially rigid.

post #12 of 23 Old 12-01-2019, 03:21 PM
No Longer Here

Those "hook" styles can usually tighten down like crazy, and that front cam looks reasonably beefy actually. Im wondering if spending some time on that and getting a piece of extrusion face might make that thing usable and save you some headache and a lot of cash here and still get you a reasonably decent fence. Installing biesemeyer rails is kind of annoying. (changing rails in general is kind of annoying lol)

I got a free table saw on the side of the road the other day (its garbage), but I *think* it has the same fence on it? Im pretty sure its a rockwell though, not a delta. Ill go check it out
post #13 of 23 Old 12-01-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:

I got a free table saw on the side of the road the other day (its garbage), but I *think* it has the same fence on it? Im pretty sure its a rockwell though, not a delta. Ill go check it out

If itís a Rockwell chances are very good that itís a Jetlock fence.

bob493 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to DavidR8 For This Useful Post:
bob493 (12-01-2019)
post #14 of 23 Old 12-01-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Those "hook" styles can usually tighten down like crazy, and that front cam looks reasonably beefy actually. Im wondering if spending some time on that and getting a piece of extrusion face might make that thing usable and save you some headache and a lot of cash here and still get you a reasonably decent fence.
That was one of the options in acquiring a drill press, too. As with that: I have a lot of projects on my plate (five or six, depending). I'm disinclined to add projects to enable me to do the other projects

Quote:
Installing biesemeyer rails is kind of annoying. (changing rails in general is kind of annoying lol)
Apparently Delta has used the same hole patterns on their saws for a good many years. So the Delta fence I'm considering should just bolt right on.

I took a quick look at the Shop Fox fences. There's one that's a bit over $200, but that's back to a front-and-back clamping system. Their T-square fences are beyond my means.

The Jet Xacta fences look good, too. Again: Out of my price range.

post #15 of 23 Old 12-01-2019, 04:24 PM
No Longer Here

By the sounds (and looks haha) of things, it doesn't seem like you use your table saw too terribly much? I think making "passable" might be more prudent than dropping a couple hundred bucks on something you may not use too much? You can do some cool stuff with extrusions and they really arent THAT expensive.

As for the rail replacements, I meant those bolts can be an absolute night mare to change out. If ones stuck, or if its "awkward" at all and you dont have some helping hands, it can just be a pain is all. Not undoable by any means, its just getting really really cold out for that kinda stuff. (do you have an indoor or outdoor shop?)
post #16 of 23 Old 12-01-2019, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
By the sounds (and looks haha) of things, it doesn't seem like you use your table saw too terribly much?
That is correct.

Quote:
I think making "passable" might be more prudent than dropping a couple hundred bucks on something you may not use too much? You can do some cool stuff with extrusions and they really arent THAT expensive.
I suppose I can, but, as I said: I'm disinclined to add another project to the pile.

Besides which: One of the problems with the Jet Lock fence is its front-and-back locking system. It's prone to pushing itself out-of-parallel when you lock it down, no matter how carefully you lock it down. Nine-times-out-of-ten it'll do what I want. It's that tenth time it doesn't that gets you.

Quote:
As for the rail replacements, I meant those bolts can be an absolute night mare to change out. If ones stuck, or if its "awkward" at all and you dont have some helping hands, it can just be a pain is all. Not undoable by any means, its just getting really really cold out for that kinda stuff. (do you have an indoor or outdoor shop?)
Noted. I'll take it under advisement in making my decision.

Don't get me wong, Bob. I'm not discounting your suggestions out-of-hand. E.g.: I've actually already considered trying to beef up the existing fence system. Problem is: There's little I can reasonably do to overcome its inherent weaknesses.

The Delta Jet Lock system is fairly well-renowned for those weaknesses.

post #17 of 23 Old 12-01-2019, 04:44 PM
No Longer Here

Oh Im not discounting the delta at all; the reviews on it are great! I'll send you a pm real quick :)

edit: I was expecting the actual fence part to be crappy thin walled aluminum, surprisingly some stout steel here. DEFINITELY not the best fence ever.

Mine has a screw end instead of a cam, aside from that are there any differences?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191201_160636.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	381395  

Last edited by bob493; 12-01-2019 at 05:10 PM.
post #18 of 23 Old 12-01-2019, 07:32 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
If the Delta T3 fence is similar to what they have on the 36-725 saw, and im fairly certain it is, you wont be disappointed in the least. Ive got that saw, and the fence is absolutely fantastic
SEMIJim likes this.

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #19 of 23 Old 12-01-2019, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh Im not discounting the delta at all; the reviews on it are great! I'll send you a pm real quick :)
I tried to reply, but the system said it couldn't send the PM.

Quote:
Mine has a screw end instead of a cam, aside from that are there any differences?
Can't really tell w/o pulling my fence off. I can do that tomorrow. It's getting late, now.

post #20 of 23 Old 12-02-2019, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
If the Delta T3 fence is similar to what they have on the 36-725 saw, and im fairly certain it is, you wont be disappointed in the least. Ive got that saw, and the fence is absolutely fantastic
Hard to say for sure, but it sure looks like it's the same fence. Thanks for the info.

Meanwhile, Bob appears to have left the building?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode