Delta 36-725 Build Review - from a newbie - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jwyant

post #1 of 4 Old 05-12-2016, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

View jwyant's Photo Album My Photos
Delta 36-725 Build Review - from a newbie

Well, this will be quick, but I wanted to provide some feedback on my build of the Delta 36-725. I am not going to get into WHY I picked this TS, but I can say, my first impression…..I LOVE this saw!

Now, there are some things you should know about me. One, I am by no means an expert in ANYTHING woodworking, heck, this is the first table saw I have ever purchased, built and used. If you have seen my other posts, I recently built a mudroom system for my wife, and I was hooked. The craftsmanship, the tools, the accomplishment is what I love.

So, about the saw. I did the research on TS…I was going to buy the Dewalt 7480 but then for a $100 more, I could get a much better solution (long term). So I moved into hybrid type saws…and it was between the delta 36-725 or the Rigid R4512. The most important feature for me was the fence and its accuracy. Long story short, the Delta won.

Off to Youtube I went watching assembly videos, what the heck did I get myself into…..I mean it seemed like there were no assembly videos that did not curse or complain about the crazy build instructions and how much of a PITA it was to get the rails and fence system correct. Here are the 2 that really helped me:

BEST (IMO):
You will have to not care about some language…but its really good.
Close 2nd:

Now that I am done, the build was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Yea, the quality is not GREAT, but for me, it was great. I dont mind getting something cheaper and sacrifice in quality a bit, especially since it is my first table saw. The rail system was not that hard to do. What worked for me was the following:

-Loosely bolted the front rails to the cast iron top (did not install the stamped sides)
-Used the guide, magnets and a level to get the rails nice a close. (Level, flush and within the tolerance of the guide)
-Tightened down the bolts so that the rails would not move.
-Installed the rear rails the same way, again did not install the side top plates.
-Once both the front and rear rails were good, I then use a Dremel to widen the (3) mounting holes of the 2 side plates so I had some vertical movement, so they could be flush with the cast iron.
-Installed the side plate by loosely securing the front and rear bolts (that connect the rails) to the plate. I worked from the cast iron side out. I used the measuring guide as a straight edge and made sure the side was flush to the case iron and tightened down the bolt that was closest to the center of the rail system. I then repeated the same process for the rear.
-Once I had the side and the cast iron flush, I then used a level to make sure the outer edge of the side was level to the top of the table. Now, I do have a SLIGHT dip in the middle of the plate, but there is nothing I can do about that and it is ok with me. Tightened down the outer bolts.
-Repeat the process for the rear and the other side.
-I then installed the support bar.
-Once it was all set, I verified that everything was in check, then I tightened down ALL rail bolts. Its rock solid now.
-Install the guide system.

Now that I am done, I cut my first piece, WOW….it is SO smooth and QUIET. Oh, I installed a Diablo 50T thin kerf blade, so I needed to adjust guide window a bit. Also, I did not have much adjusting on the blade alignment. Videos out there are good and do a great job of explaining how to get it all setup. I bought a Wixey 300 and it makes a world of difference in the confidence that the blade is at X degrees.

Its been a fun build and the reason for me writing this to let anyone who reads this, DONT be intimidated by some of the reviews out there about how HARD the assembly is. This is the first time I have assembled a Table saw….and It was not that bad….challenging at times, but that builds the love and respect for the tool!

It is super quiet….did I mention that…..so much that I was like…really, that is it? :)

Well, off the design my work bench and cut some thin white sheets to cover the underside of some cabinets I installed in the laundry room last weekend.

Thank you for all the help fellow members!
new2woodwrk likes this.

Addicted to Woodworking, learning one cut at a time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-13-2016, 09:56 AM

View new2woodwrk's Photo Album My Photos
I bought one of those last year - and aside from the problem I had with the legs not fitting and having to return it and wait for a replacement to be delivered free of charge, I didn't find the build to be all that intimidating either.

I am by no means even a woodworker yet, more of a wood destroyer. My sides are little lower than my middle by about 1/32, I just deal with it.

But yes, this IMO is a great saw for beginners if you can budget the $600 (I got mine from Lowes for about $550 with tax).

Putting on that diablo blade made a world of difference for mine as well - I used the stock blade for a year and just recently changed it - what a difference!

Good luck with your new toy
post #3 of 4 Old 05-13-2016, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

View jwyant's Photo Album My Photos
New2,

I see you are in FL, as am I. I would love to hear how you care for the cast iron top due to our humidity and hot weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2woodwrk View Post
I bought one of those last year - and aside from the problem I had with the legs not fitting and having to return it and wait for a replacement to be delivered free of charge, I didn't find the build to be all that intimidating either.

I am by no means even a woodworker yet, more of a wood destroyer. My sides are little lower than my middle by about 1/32, I just deal with it.

But yes, this IMO is a great saw for beginners if you can budget the $600 (I got mine from Lowes for about $550 with tax).

Putting on that diablo blade made a world of difference for mine as well - I used the stock blade for a year and just recently changed it - what a difference!

Good luck with your new toy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-14-2016, 07:18 AM

View new2woodwrk's Photo Album My Photos
Hey JW,

I'm in NW FL the Panhandle.

I use a coat of Johnson's paste wax - I apply it both on the ts and the bottom of all my sleds.

I also have a wooden top I made which I recently added a few rubber feet and some padding to the feet (the rubber feet tends to stick to ts surface). The top is a simple piece of plywood and 2x4 runners I had laying around and recently applied a few coats of Polyurethane for protection (top only).

The wood top allows me to use it for an additional work space (I use it primarily for layout work and extra building space but never for finishing) and it protects the TS from the wife putting ice cream and milk on my ts!

Last edited by new2woodwrk; 05-14-2016 at 07:20 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode