Delta 34-400 Table Saw adjustments - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 03-09-2013, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

View cap33905's Photo Album My Photos
Delta 34-400 Table Saw adjustments

I am in the process of making shaker stlye cabinet doors, and my joints are off ever so slightly. I checked my saw, and it is also off ever so slightly. The miter gauge and saw blade are off a hair, and I believe if I loosen the bolts on the table I should be able to adjust it. My question is the rip fence. Does anyone know how to adjust the fence so that it is square to the table top. I see a sliver of light when I place my square on the table top and the other side on the fence. The manuel I have shows how to adjust it so it is square to the blade, but not the table top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-09-2013, 05:45 PM

View Stevedore's Photo Album My Photos
Others will reply, but there are threads on here & elsewhere that you can search for that outline the alignment procedure for that saw. IIRC, the blade arbor is mounted on a trunnion assembly bolted to the table from underneath. The first step is to ensure that the blade is parallel to the miter gage slots by adjusting the trunnion assembly as necessary. Following that, you adjust the rip fence so that it's parallel to the blade & miter gage slots. Details of this adjustment will depend on the specifics of your rip fence. Lastly, you'll adjust your miter gage to be perpendicular to the blade, fence, & miter gage slots.

I've been through this a few times; it's well worth the time & effort involved.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stevedore For This Useful Post:
cap33905 (03-10-2013)
post #3 of 4 Old 03-10-2013, 08:41 AM

View Fred Hargis's Photo Album My Photos
The biggest problem I had on my 34-444 was when I loosened all 4 of the Trunnion bolts at the same time. I had the thing so screwed up, I would up buying a set of PALS to get the dang thing back aligned. You should leave one of those bolts relatively tight to keep the whole assembly from moving...you just want it to pivot one way or the other.

"I long for the days when coke was a cola and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-10-2013, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

View cap33905's Photo Album My Photos
I made a dial indicator jig, I took a measurement of just the arbor with no blade and found it out .003, is this acceptable. With the blade on it goes out to about .008 or a little more (tried multiple blades). I got the miter slot line up with the blade almost perfect, but my cuts are still way off. I noticed that after I tightened all the trunion bolts, I hit the motor with my knee and it moved the blade. I grabbed the moter and moved it back and forth. There is about 1/16 to 1/8 inch play. The trunion assembly does not move, but the arbor and blade are. Any ideas what the problem could be.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode