Delta 22-560 Planer Worth it? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 02-11-2019, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

View CLS89's Photo Album My Photos
Delta 22-560 Planer Worth it?

Found a Delta 22-560 thickness planer for sale on craigslist for $200. It appears to be in great condition. Per the seller, its seen very little use, cuts smooth that sanding is barely needed. Sharp knives, rollers in great shape, brand new belt, and motor is smooth.

Just not sure if its worth $200. I've heard some bad things about this model planer. Looking for advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-11-2019, 02:22 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS89 View Post
Found a Delta 22-560 thickness planer for sale on craigslist for $200. It appears to be in great condition. Per the seller, its seen very little use, cuts smooth that sanding is barely needed. Sharp knives, rollers in great shape, brand new belt, and motor is smooth.

Just not sure if its worth $200. I've heard some bad things about this model planer. Looking for advice.
I wouldn't buy it. I bought one new and had a lot of trouble with it from day one falling apart. To get some relief I started putting it back together with threadlock. Then the last time I worked on it I discovered the gears which operate the feed rollers had several teeth broken off. I'm the only one that has ever used the planer so I know it wasn't abused. Then if you run it very long it gets very hot. Even if parts were still available for it I'm no longer going to try to fix it. I have another planer now and only use the Delta with small or thin wood.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-11-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

View CLS89's Photo Album My Photos
I appreciate the response. Your response is similar to some of the other answers I found for this model. I'm thinking I'm better off saving/spending an extra couple hundred and getting the Dewalt DW735 or DW734.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-11-2019, 02:35 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I appreciate the response. Your response is similar to some of the other answers I found for this model. I'm thinking I'm better off saving/spending an extra couple hundred and getting the Dewalt DW735 or DW734.
I've never used either of the Dewalt planers but they have a good reputation. I will probably buy one when I retire the Delta planer.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-12-2019, 06:52 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I bought a used DeWalt DW735 for $350 about a year ago. I never wanted anything else. I held out until the right deal came at the right price, and never regretted it. It is an excellent planer.

WILD SPECULATION, NOT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY:

I wonder whether the jointer and planer markets are evolving away from blades, to where the small spiral-type cutters become the norm at roughly the same price points as current blade versions. That might make a future DW735 overpriced in comparison to its competitors. DeWalt may choose to coast for a while on the DW735's excellent reputation among benchtop planers. It would be nice if DeWalt replaced the blades with cutters and kept the same price point to remain competitive. Even if they don't, the emergence of more cutter-based planers may drive the price of used DW735s down, but not fast enough.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-14-2019, 02:14 PM

View Maylar's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

I have one that I bought new for $200. I don't use it a lot but it's worked flawlessly for me. I know Steve hates his but I'm sure he's tougher on the tool than I am. The nice thing about that model is the cutter head lock. With the lock engaged it makes pretty much zero snipe. Knives are still available.

For a used one I'd offer $100.

Dave in CT, USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode