Delta 14" Bandsaw motor - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 18 Old 10-20-2015, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

View Flynman's Photo Album My Photos
Delta 14" Bandsaw motor

Hello Everyone!! I am a New member here on the forum!! I am a guitar builder/Repairman and a Novice woodworker. I have a question about a Delta 14" Bandsaw with 12" riser kit installed. I wanted to use the saw to re-saw Figured Maple boards approx. 8" wide and 1" thick. I have a 1/2 hp motor and a 1/2" and 3/4" Woodslicer blade 3Tpi on the setup right now. Although I am feeding the board very slow the saw keeps bogging down. I was wondering if putting on a larger motor like a 1 1/2 - 2 hp would be possible? I saw a 1 1/2 hp motor at harbor freight and was wondering if it''s possible to do this?

thanks,
Keith R

Last edited by Flynman; 10-20-2015 at 01:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-20-2015, 02:20 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
The motor on any belt driven saw can be changed, if you can match the base and shaft size it is relatively simple.
Many of the less expensive motors are rated as compressor duty, they will not last long on a saw where they will be running for long periods at a time.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #3 of 18 Old 10-27-2015, 07:30 PM

View Bob Vaughan's Photo Album My Photos
If you're using a household wall socket, no motor over 15 amps should used and even 15 amps is pushing it. If you can use a 240 volt single phase outlet, then a 10 amp motor at 240 volts will work well.

Motor horsepower ratings get generous these days, particularly with Asian import motors. I've seen 13 amp motors "listed" as 1-1/2 HP motors, so be careful. 13 amp motors used to be rated at 1 HP. Naturally, motor speed will have to be 1750 rpm.

For sure, a big wide blade takes more HP to get it turning than a 1/4" wide blade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 10-27-2015, 08:50 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Vaughan View Post
If you're using a household wall socket, no motor over 15 amps should used and even 15 amps is pushing it. If you can use a 240 volt single phase outlet, then a 10 amp motor at 240 volts will work well.

Motor horsepower ratings get generous these days, particularly with Asian import motors. I've seen 13 amp motors "listed" as 1-1/2 HP motors, so be careful. 13 amp motors used to be rated at 1 HP. Naturally, motor speed will have to be 1750 rpm.

For sure, a big wide blade takes more HP to get it turning than a 1/4" wide blade.
Very good explanation for motor choice above.
There is no 6 1/2 horsepower that runs on 110, yet you see it posted on the shop vacs. True horsepower is much less than now advertised on most electrical tools.
I don't know how they get away with it.
post #5 of 18 Old 10-27-2015, 10:26 PM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
Make sure your upgrade motor pulls enough amperage for the rated hp. Even a compressor duty motor should be fine. My poor air compressor runs far harder than my bandsaw, but my compressor doesn't have a compressor duty motor. It has a continuous duty 5 HP Baldor. I would upgrade the whole saw. After spending a few hundred dollars on a motor the value of your saw did not increase. I wouldn't be surprised if the resale value decreased. Most people don't want a Frankensaw. Even with the upgraded motor the performance of your saw is still pretty limited.
post #6 of 18 Old 10-28-2015, 08:13 AM

Compressor duty motors (S2 - S10) are often designed to run for 10 minutes and rest for 30. They heat up close to the burn out point then cool down for another heating cycle. Usually there are built in thermal overload protectors that keep the burn out from occurring. Even a motor of moderate quality will have its rating stamped on the label. Continuous Duty is abbreviated: Cont..

For recreational (intermittant use) woodworking, a short duty cycle motor will provide satisfactory service for most, but not all, of the time.

Usually compressor duty motors are going to be 3450 rpm motors and are often substituted for 3-phase motors on table saws. These motors are usually open types and are susceptible to dust and dirt problems when used on a woodworking machine as has been noted. During periods of continuous use, the motor will shut down for a cooling off period, an acceptable cost for using a low-cost motor substitute.
post #7 of 18 Old 10-28-2015, 02:26 PM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
Bob,don't you have like the "nicest" 10" Delta BS on the planet?

Maybe mistaken?But think I've seen it(in person).....how 'bout a pic?

Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
post #8 of 18 Old 10-29-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwebb99 View Post
After spending a few hundred dollars on a motor the value of your saw did not increase. I wouldn't be surprised if the resale value decreased. Most people don't want a Frankensaw. Even with the upgraded motor the performance of your saw is still pretty limited.
I got the impression that sawing performance from a Delta 14' band saw rather than resale was the focus of this thread. Not everyone has the shop space or electrical feed to support a larger saw.

Above is a 14" saw "as found". This one had a factory 1/3 HP motor and a factory switch.

The owner had installed a 3/4" wide "resaw" blade with plastic 'cool blocks'. I suspect that's why he was trying to get rid of it for $175.00. The electrical cord didn't help. The sawing performance of this saw had to be abysmal.

I turned this mess into a "Frankensaw" at no small expense. No, I'll never get my time and materials out of it, but for the duration that I'll have it in my shop to use, the effort was well worth it to me.

And, saying that all bandsaws use a 1750 rpm motor isn't technically correct. Below is a 14" band saw that uses a face mount 3450 motor. Note the special bottom casting configuration to accommodate this motor.

This saw's lower shaft had worn totally out due to the cheap materials.
post #9 of 18 Old 10-29-2015, 12:05 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
re-sawing maple is one hard task for any bandsaw. the blade condition is critical, obviously the sharper the better.

if you watch, i'll bet a used 1hp motor will come up that can be installed.
post #10 of 18 Old 10-29-2015, 01:26 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
nine days later .....

No response after 9 days......?
You will need at least a 1 HP motor, at least that's what I used to resaw 6" Maple boards from a log. My 3 HP saw was able to resaw 8" boards from a larger log. It did require some extra feed pressure to keep the cut moving along... not like hot knife through butter.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 10-29-2015 at 02:05 PM.
post #11 of 18 Old 10-29-2015, 10:38 PM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
[QUOTE="Bob Vaughan"] Not everyone has the shop space or electrical feed to support a larger saw.

The foot print of a 14" saw is very similar to a larger 16" or 18" saw. He obviously has the electrical feed, or else he wouldn't be trying to upgrade the motor.
post #12 of 18 Old 10-30-2015, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the Replies. I just moved to Myrtle Beach and I have been building a new very large work bench and setting up my shop. I bought the Delta 14" bandsaw used from a friend for $200 and it is in really good shape. Last year I added a 12" riser , cool blocks and a Fence system to it. I figure it probably is not worth selling. I have both 120 and 220v electric setup so Power is not a problem. The Motor says Frame 56Z on the plate. The motor is mounted on top of frame behind the saw. Where should I look for this motor with the proper Mount?

thanks,
Keith R
post #13 of 18 Old 10-31-2015, 08:11 AM

Delta had any different stands over the years. If your stand is like the one pictured below, then a 1 HP motor is about all that's going to fit back there. Even then, larger HP motors can have a junction box that can interfere with the opening of the lower door.

This type of stand was offered on an 'economy' version of the 28-200. The saw itself is still USA-made and of a quality level way beyond the offshore lookalikes.

An older stand with the motor on the stand's bottom shelf will allow more freedom of motor choices. This may be more work than you're wanting to get into at the present. Google images of Delta 14" band saws and you'll see the many variations of stands that came on those saws over the years.

post #14 of 18 Old 11-02-2015, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Yes that is the same stand and motor setup Bob. If I can't get anything bigger than a 1 HP on there without modifications maybe I should look at a Larger Saw? I saw the Grizzly 17" saws which looked pretty nice. Will have to see what I can get for this saw if I sell it.

Thanks,
Keith R
post #15 of 18 Old 11-02-2015, 09:36 AM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Vaughan;

[img
http://www.bmisurplus.com/uploads/product_images/40980.jpg[/img]
Looks to me like if you removed the motor in the picture, and bolted a mounting plate on the back of the stand, you would be able to mount almost any motor to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pirate For This Useful Post:
FrankC (11-02-2015)
post #16 of 18 Old 11-03-2015, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

I was also thinking that myself Pirate. I would probably have to remove or modify the Belt Guard housing. It could save me a few hundred dollars though.
post #17 of 18 Old 11-03-2015, 06:00 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
motor frames....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynman View Post
Yes that is the same stand and motor setup Bob. If I can't get anything bigger than a 1 HP on there without modifications maybe I should look at a Larger Saw? I saw the Grizzly 17" saws which looked pretty nice. Will have to see what I can get for this saw if I sell it.

Thanks,
Keith R

Electric motors have standard frame bolt patterns, usually NEMA 56 for a 1 hp or 2 HP motor so..... they are inter-changable for the most part. The motors have slotted holes to allow for belt tension and different mounting holes. There is no need for an additional mounting plate.

2 HP Grizzly motor with NEMA frame as stated in the text:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Moto...EFC-220V/H5384

A 3 Hp Grizzly motor, same frame:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Moto...EFC-220V/H5388

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 11-03-2015 at 06:08 PM.
post #18 of 18 Old 11-04-2015, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Hey Thanks Woodnthings!! The 3 HP motor is 3450 RPM...I guess that is too fast for my setup? I think the 2HP should work though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode