• 1 Post By Maintenance Man
  • 1 Post By Tool Agnostic

post #1 of 16 Old 01-17-2018, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

View TylerT123's Photo Album My Photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-17-2018, 08:34 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Would be difficult to say. I thought I was buying a good one by buying Delta and found it to be junk. You would have to use it for a while to really know. Maybe it being out of stock is a sign many others are buying it.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-17-2018, 10:05 PM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Up your $$$ a few bucks:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-15-A...iABEgJeP_D_BwE

Mine's been going for years, all kinds of wood including some hard stuff. Still on it's first set of blades, still doing a great job.

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 01-17-2018, 10:13 PM

View new2woodwrk's Photo Album My Photos
I'm also looking at the PC jointer - it's reasonably priced and a bench top.

I looked at it the other day in the store - looks fine for me - it is 6" though if that matters to you - it doesn't to me.

I will probably use it as a planer as well ( I don't work with boards wider than 6" for the most part yet), until I can afford and make room for a planer as well.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-17-2018, 10:18 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2woodwrk View Post

I looked at it the other day in the store - looks fine for me - it is 6" though if that matters to you - it doesn't to me.

I will probably use it as a planer as well ( I don't work with boards wider than 6" for the most part yet), until I can afford and make room for a planer as well.
How are you going to use it as as "accurate" planer?

George
post #6 of 16 Old 01-18-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
How are you going to use it as as "accurate" planer?

George
I've been reading about these bench top jointers, since I think I need to get one soon.

Several articles have discussed the ability of these to do planing as well as edge jointing.

So based on the articles, that's what I'm intending to do.

As to "accurate" I have no clue how "accurate" it will be and for my purposes, it doesn't have to be perfect. It has to be better than "sand planing" which is what I do now
post #7 of 16 Old 01-18-2018, 09:58 AM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I've been reading about these bench top jointers, since I think I need to get one soon.

Several articles have discussed the ability of these to do planing as well as edge jointing.

So based on the articles, that's what I'm intending to do.

As to "accurate" I have no clue how "accurate" it will be and for my purposes, it doesn't have to be perfect. It has to be better than "sand planing" which is what I do now
Any differences in thickness edge to edge or end to end will not be corrected with just a jointer. For both sides to be flat and parallel, one side must be jointed flat, and then passed through a planer with the jointed side down (away from the knives).
new2woodwrk and gmercer_48083 like this.

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-18-2018, 10:15 AM

View BrandonH's Photo Album My Photos
I have the Ridgid from Home Depot and have been very satisfied. It is close in price to what you're looking at.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #9 of 16 Old 01-18-2018, 10:17 AM

View sanchez's Photo Album My Photos
Or wait until CPO offers 15% off and buy the DW734 for $339.

https://www.cpopowertools.com/on/dem...4&simplesearch
gmercer_48083 likes this.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-18-2018, 11:21 AM

View Maintenance Man's Photo Album My Photos
I would save my money on the benchtop jointer and buy a used jointer with a longer bed. The short bed on the benchtop models just isn't good for much IMO.
Catpower likes this.
post #11 of 16 Old 01-18-2018, 12:26 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

The problem with using a jointer as a planer is that the jointer cannot assure you that the top and bottom surfaces are parallel to each other. A jointer doesn't know anything about the top side when it flattens the bottom side. The result is that the board may not be the same thickness on all edges. The planer uses the bottom "flat" side as a reference when it takes a cut from the top side, so you know that both sides are parallel to one another.

IMPORTANT: The planer assumes that the bottom side of the board is flat. If it isn't, then the planer will press down on it, but the board will pop up again when it emerges, yielding unsatisfactory results. To flatten the top of an irregular board in a planer, you should support it from underneath and run it through with a sled. It is riskier and more time consuming to flatten an irregular board with a planer, something that can be done quickly and easily on a jointer.

The jointer really shines when you use it to square the edge of a board to a perfect 90 degrees. A planer knows nothing about the edges of a board.

Jointers and planers are complementary. When you have both, there is a synergistic effect that enhances the work flow. There are ways to get by if you have one but not the other, especially if you have additional tools that can act as substitutes, such as a table saw or router.

You can also do jointing and planing with hand tools. I have a power planer, and I really wish I had room and budget for a power jointer. In the meantime, I will make do with sleds to flatten irregular boards using the planer. For squaring edges, I found that a hand plane on its side puts a perfect 90 degree edge on flat boards when I clamp them in a shooting board on the workbench. It is efficient and quick. I am currently using an old #5 jack plane, but I am restoring a #7 jointer plane that I bought at the swap meet. If they work out as well as my tests have shown, I may not bother to buy a jointer at all.

Another option for squaring edges is to use the table saw. There are a variety of techniques you can use.

For the record, I have tried flattening boards with hand planes. That requires much more skill than squaring edges with a hand plane and a shooting board. I will continue to use the power planer for a while longer. :-)
new2woodwrk likes this.
post #12 of 16 Old 01-18-2018, 01:38 PM

View nxtgeneration's Photo Album My Photos
If looking at a benchtop unit check out Cutech. I've heard some great things about them and for about the same price as the PC you get a spiral head.

Timber & Ash Designs, LLC
--> TimberAndAshDesigns.com <--
post #13 of 16 Old 01-18-2018, 03:03 PM

I'm going to make my own thread on this topic - hijacked enough of the OPs thread

Hopefully the OP gets what he wants but unless he goes used, I don't see how to get both machines under $500
post #14 of 16 Old 02-05-2018, 01:16 AM

View ATCavi8or's Photo Album My Photos
I have that very same jointer along with the DeWalt planer that was referenced. I love the planer, but the jointer is lacking. It is fine for shorter stock, but when you start working with 5-6í long boards it will be less than adequate. The biggest problem I have found is the fence will flex and therefore wonít give a square edge to the face of the board. This becomes very noticeable when trying to edge joint boards for a glue up. While I have used it for a couple of years now, it has become so frustrating for me that I decided to go with a full size jointer. Iím now financially able to get a Powermatic 8Ē helical head so Iíll be ordering that soon. While the bench top jointer may suit you for awhile, you will get frustrated with it pretty quickly the more you use it. The planer on the other hand works perfect although I did just run into a deal that I couldnít pass up for a Jet 15Ē planer for $625. Keep your eye out for used stuff, in the end I think you will be happier with full size equipment. At least as far as the jointer goes.
post #15 of 16 Old 02-05-2018, 01:49 AM

View Sawdustmaker99's Photo Album My Photos
I have no experience with either tool in the first post but the jointer is too short to be of much use. You can use a planer with a sled to make both faces on a board flat and parallel. Itís impossible to do that with just a jointer.
post #16 of 16 Old 02-05-2018, 12:37 PM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCavi8or View Post
I have that very same jointer along with the DeWalt planer that was referenced. I love the planer, but the jointer is lacking. It is fine for shorter stock, but when you start working with 5-6í long boards it will be less than adequate. The biggest problem I have found is the fence will flex and therefore wonít give a square edge to the face of the board. This becomes very noticeable when trying to edge joint boards for a glue up. While I have used it for a couple of years now, it has become so frustrating for me that I decided to go with a full size jointer. Iím now financially able to get a Powermatic 8Ē helical head so Iíll be ordering that soon. While the bench top jointer may suit you for awhile, you will get frustrated with it pretty quickly the more you use it. The planer on the other hand works perfect although I did just run into a deal that I couldnít pass up for a Jet 15Ē planer for $625. Keep your eye out for used stuff, in the end I think you will be happier with full size equipment. At least as far as the jointer goes.
I also have the cutech model which is identical to the porta cable with the exception of cutters. Mine has replaceable HS steel cutters arranged in a helical pattern. I agree the fence is kind of flexi. I also have a 4" jointer that I can drag out if I need real accuracy. The cutech jointer works well for shorter stock (under 30"). I keep mine on the table saw, and when it's in the way it is light enough to easily move.

I also have a DeWalt Thickness planer. I have used it for about 20+ years. Replacing blades are easy, and it has a head lock, which eliminates any lash movement, and produce repeatable accuracy when sizing boards. I think you would be very happy with the DeWalt planer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode