Dead Random Orbital Sander: How Can I fix It? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 05-10-2013, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

View Grunkle Stan's Photo Album My Photos
Dead Random Orbital Sander: How Can I fix It?

My old Bosch Random Orbital Sander died while I was using it yesterday. The motor just stopped after I had been using it for about ten minutes.

I will probably have to fix it myself. do you have any suggestions on what I should "look for" when I take it apart?

I was using the sander plugged into a Lithium Ion Battery with a pure sine wave converter, which was probably NOT a good idea in retrospect. Apparently the voltage can drop when using that (although it is a PURE sine wave inverter, so I guess that counts for something.)

Just to make sure, when I got home I tried plugging it into a wall outlet and it still wouldn't work. pressed the trigger and the motor wouldn't turn on.

Do these things have "fuses" that can be easily replaced or something like that?

thank you if you can give any suggestions on how I would diagnose this bad boy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-10-2013, 06:28 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If it's old I would first inspect the switch to see if the motor is getting power. Do you have a volt meter to check it? If that checks out I would check the brushes and armeture to see if they are alright. Sometimes the brushes get so worn there is not enough spring pressure to make proper contact. Usually with those the machine starts making a fluttering noise or visually see more than normal sparks in the inside before it quits though.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-10-2013, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Mr. Neul:

"If that checks out I would check the brushes and armeture to see if they are alright"

I will look into that. Hopefully I can find a video somewhere on how to examine the brushes in an electric motor because that is something I have not done.

Just one more question: These things don't have a "circuit board" or some fancy electronics inside, do they? Do they usually just have a few simple electrical parts inside?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-10-2013, 07:31 PM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
<<Just one more question: These things don't have a "circuit board" or some fancy electronics inside, do they? Do they usually just have a few simple electrical parts inside?>>

If it's variable speed, probably. If it's not, maybe.

Checking the brushes (should be easy) and switch like Steve said is a good place to start.

Bill
post #5 of 8 Old 05-10-2013, 07:33 PM

View jigs-n-fixtures's Photo Album My Photos
They typically don't have anything fancy, just a universal motor. There is a minuscule chance there could be a circuit board, but I would be surprised to see one.

If your inverter not providing full voltage was the problem you should have felt, and smelled the problem, as the windings got hot.

As was said, it is most probably the switch, or the brushes.

The brush holders are typically on the outside and pretty easy to get to. Depending on how much respect you have for electricity you can check the switch by pulling the brush covers, withdrawing the brushes, turning on the plugged in sander, and checking the voltage between the brush leads. If the switch is good there will be 120-volts potential across the leads. Just be careful, because if there is 120-volts, it is enough to do serious harm.

If you don't have 120-volts showing at the brush leads the switch is most probably the culprit.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-10-2013, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

I think I have too much "respect" for electricity to try that.

However, I will try to research online to see if there is a safe way to test how you mentioned. I am pretty sure I would electrocute myself until I see how to do it about a zillion times first.

Is there no way to use a tester of some kind WITHOUT having the sander plugged in?

Studies have shown that having a ladder in the home is more dangerous than having a firearm. That's why I own 10 guns... in case some maniac tries to sneak a ladder into my house...
post #7 of 8 Old 05-10-2013, 11:42 PM

View jigs-n-fixtures's Photo Album My Photos
You can try testing for continuity with an Ohm meter, and the power off.

With the power off you can test to see if the switch has no resistance in the closed (on) position, and infinite resistance with the switch in open (off) position. The problem you can have with this technique is that the contacts can be dirty, and show no resistance with the low current of the ammeter, but heat up and have high enough resistance when trying to carry a working load, to not actually work.

There are probably instructions online on trouble shooting a universal motor.
The Following User Says Thank You to jigs-n-fixtures For This Useful Post:
Grunkle Stan (05-11-2013)
post #8 of 8 Old 05-11-2013, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the explanation.

I did not know that it was called a universal motor.

Thanks again.

Studies have shown that having a ladder in the home is more dangerous than having a firearm. That's why I own 10 guns... in case some maniac tries to sneak a ladder into my house...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode