Cutting sled runners - precision issue - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Alchymist
  • 1 Post By TimPa
  • 2 Post By GeorgeC

post #1 of 8 Old 07-23-2018, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

View IdahoEv's Photo Album My Photos
Cutting sled runners - precision issue

I'm trying to make Willing Ng's crosscut sled, and I'm having trouble cutting the runners to the exact width. He describes two techniques in this video (linked below) starting at 7:24. But the goal is to get a runner within 0.001" of the exact width of the miter slot.

I can't get either technique to work for me, because it seems my fence just isn't up to the precision required. I have the stock fence on a SawStop contractor saw.

Whenever I tighten or loosen the fence, it jumps by about 5 thousands one direction or the other. It's not a problem for most woodworking but it's sure a pain when I'm trying to make an exact cut sled runner within 0.001" for William's technique!

After two hours of test cuts in MDF, the closest I've gotten is 0.002" too large, or 0.004" too narrow. The former doesn't fit, and the latter has a detectible wobble.

Anyone have any cool tricks up their sleeve for getting this cut exact?

Thanks!

https://youtu.be/UbG-n--LFgQ?t=1044
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-23-2018, 12:23 PM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Take the .002 too large and run a sanding block with 220 paper up and down it a few times.
IdahoEv likes this.

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-23-2018, 12:33 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
even tight wood runners will loosen over time. I undersize mine slightly, and place 4 small brass flat head screws on one side, maybe #4, where they will contact the machined edge of the miter slot. then you can adjust them to take the slop out.
hawkeye10 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-23-2018, 02:01 PM

View Maylar's Photo Album My Photos
Trying to cut anything to within a thousandth on a table saw is absurd. If you must use wood or MDF then make it oversize and trim with a block plane or sanding block. I dunno what the stability of MDF is with humidity, but wood will certainly change by more than a thousandth from day to day.

For table saw runners I use 3/4 X 3/8 steel bar stock.

Dave in CT, USA
post #5 of 8 Old 07-23-2018, 04:10 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
"After two hours of test cuts in MDF, the closest I've gotten is 0.002" too large, or 0.004" too narrow. The former doesn't fit, and the latter has a detectible wobble."

Either of those dimensions is perfectly acceptable. If it is the 0.002 to large then simply lightly sand. 0.004 is a fine fit.

When I made my sled runners I never measured either the miter slot nor the runner that I cut. I just cut the oak very slightly large and sanded then it fit.

This is woodworking, not machining the cam bearings for your Ferrari.

George
terryh and IdahoEv like this.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-23-2018, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Possibly worth commenting that I'm making the runners out of nylon from a cutting board for stability, not out of wood. I'm not sure how it will sand, I'll have to try that.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-23-2018, 10:17 PM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoEv View Post
I'm trying to make Willing Ng's crosscut sled, and I'm having trouble cutting the runners to the exact width. He describes two techniques in this video (linked below) starting at 7:24. But the goal is to get a runner within 0.001" of the exact width of the miter slot.

I can't get either technique to work for me, because it seems my fence just isn't up to the precision required. I have the stock fence on a SawStop contractor saw.

Whenever I tighten or loosen the fence, it jumps by about 5 thousands one direction or the other. It's not a problem for most woodworking but it's sure a pain when I'm trying to make an exact cut sled runner within 0.001" for William's technique!

After two hours of test cuts in MDF, the closest I've gotten is 0.002" too large, or 0.004" too narrow. The former doesn't fit, and the latter has a detectible wobble.

Anyone have any cool tricks up their sleeve for getting this cut exact?

Thanks!

https://youtu.be/UbG-n--LFgQ?t=1044
You need to call Saw Stop and find out how to set your fence. To pay as much as you did you deserve better.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-24-2018, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone who commented. I stopped worrying so much about what the calipers said and just took a close cut and sanded it till it felt right. It turns out sanding nylon from a cutting board works ok, though it's a little slow.

Anyway the runners are on the sled and the fit feels super solid. I've got the fences cut and will finish the assembly & squaring tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180723_230115.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	306.0 KB
ID:	364128  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180723_230128.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	364130  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode