4Likes
  • 1 Post By TimPa
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By FrankC
  • 1 Post By mendozer

post #1 of 13 Old 02-21-2017, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

View mendozer's Photo Album My Photos
crosscut sled, add miter?

I made the CC sled from Family Handyman. I was thinking, does anyone attache a miter gauge to it? I see alot of miter gauges with built in extensions, then I see sleds But I don't see both. Would an easier way to be just having wooden blocks of certain angles to place on the CC sled as a guide?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-21-2017, 08:07 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
imho... the sled, built to cut 90 degree cuts with dead on accuracy is just for that. I do attach stops when needed.

when I need angle cuts, I go to the miter gauge or miter saw. if it is 45 degrees, I built a sled for those too.
subroc likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-21-2017, 08:35 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
you can make it adjustable...

The fence at the front is fixed, but there are 2 adjustable smaller fences for miters like on this one I made. I use a digutal protractor or a draftsman's triangle to set it up:

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f27/t...d-build-49218/
subroc likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 02-21-2017, 08:47 AM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
TimPa's answer pretty much covers what I was going to say.

You can customize a sled to do anything you want.

I guess I will ask, are you planning on all these wooden blocks at some variety of angles because you have a need for them? If you do, it will be time well spent. If it is just a feature you might need somewhere down the road spending the time and having a stack of blocks that you might need, organizing them, marking them, storing them could end up a big waste of time and material.

I expect waiting until you need some angle for some project could easily be made when the need arises.

woodnthings, that is a great idea.

Last edited by subroc; 02-21-2017 at 09:03 AM.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-21-2017, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
The fence at the front is fixed, but there are 2 adjustable smaller fences for miters like on this one I made. I use a digutal protractor or a draftsman's triangle to set it up:

I like that! I can easily do that. Insert nuts near the middle then flange Bolt underneath some form of recessed Gap? I should have done that before assembling my sled

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
post #6 of 13 Old 02-22-2017, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

post #7 of 13 Old 02-22-2017, 07:10 AM
where's my table saw?

Not what I used....

I worked from the bottom/back side using a 1/2" rabbet and a 5/16" straight bit. I used a radius jig that I made just for this project. It had pivot points at one end and a mount for the router base at the other. I used a Dewalt 611 router, a great small router.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 02-22-2017 at 07:12 AM.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-22-2017, 07:22 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Add miter capability???? Definitely yes.

I like Woodsnthings design.

I have a home made crosscut sled and I also have this.

George
post #9 of 13 Old 02-23-2017, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

My sled has a 1" ply base and it's already assembled. You don't think I could just plunge in there with the bit using the jig from the top?
post #10 of 13 Old 02-23-2017, 11:26 AM
where's my table saw?

Here's my take ...

Leave your sled as is. Make a new sled for 45 degrees, since the adjustable feature is not used unless you are making segmented bowls or "weird' angles. If you want, make an adjustable sled for those rare occasions. In my shop I haven't used the sled I made yet ..... since I find accurate miter gauges just fine. My RAS is set to 90 "permanently" so I got that covered. I don't make many picture frames or mitered doors, but I would use my Incra or the Orborne for those.

post #11 of 13 Old 02-23-2017, 01:18 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Don't get too complicated, most multi-purpose jigs, etc. are made by guys with too much time on their hands, it is not too hard to figure out what "you" need and that is all you need.
subroc likes this.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #12 of 13 Old 02-24-2017, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

ok fair enough. I'll worry about it when I have to worry about it. I just like looking at cool tools! Shiny object syndrome I guess.
GuitarPhotographer likes this.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-24-2017, 01:12 PM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendozer View Post
ok fair enough. I'll worry about it when I have to worry about it. I just like looking at cool tools! Shiny object syndrome I guess.
Clearly, building on our success and learning from our failures is the cornerstone of the learning process. Having the success of a well made sled and wanting to build upon that success naturally leads to what other options can I add to it.

Having tools and equipment in advance of projects or buying/fabricating just what you need in a "minimalist" way is a personal choice.

I will say, when you make something using your sled, there will be some satisfaction.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode