Craftsman XR-2424 Fence - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 7Likes

post #1 of 23 Old 01-18-2018, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

View intrepid's Photo Album My Photos
Craftsman XR-2424 Fence

For those who may not read my other posts, I Have bought a Craftsman Table Saw which my son has in his garage waiting for me to arrive in April. I will be dismantling and boxing it for shipping to the Philippines. The shipping issues I think are pretty well solved. The saw is model # 113.298720 and has an XR2424 fence system. Not the Align-A-Rip as I thought. This fence is a little different but from the pictures and what research I could locate, is still an improvement over the original common fence which was supplied over the years. I dont know if this fence was later added or an option. I was able to locate a manual for this saw model number but it does not show this fence on the saw. Also, I could not find a manual for the XR2424 fence. However, my main question is about the fence glides or lack thereof. I cannot believe it would have been designed without glides but from the pictures my son provided me, there are none. Furthermore, there are wear marks on each end of the T end and also under the fence where it appears to have been contacting the table top on the front side. See photos below. Does anyone know it there were any time of glides on this fence? If there were none, I am hoping I could maybe at least add some UHMW tape in those wear locations. Thoughts?
Thanks, danny
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-18-2018, 10:39 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I do not know what you are calling glides. I have this fence and consider it a good fence.

My fence looks exactly like your fourth picture. There is no "glide" or anything else where you drew the circles. No wear marks either.

I purchased this fence as an upgrade a number of years after buying the saw. It was not original equipment. I would think that whoever initially installed this fence did not do the job correctly. You have the opportunity to correct that error when you reassemble. Maybe there was some slop in the bolt holes and let the rail rest in the lowest possible position.

George
intrepid likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeC For This Useful Post:
intrepid (01-18-2018)
post #3 of 23 Old 01-18-2018, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks GeorgeC, Since I have not had a close look yet of everything I am only going by the pictures my son sent. You have me wondering now where is the fence suppose to make contact in the rails? Is the contact aluminum to aluminum? I understand your point about locating holes for the front rail. Maybe the rail needs to be raised a bit. That should stop any contact with the underside of the fence to table. But again, where are the contact points for the fence in the front rail?
Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 01-18-2018, 07:29 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I copied your images in this post

I hate having to go back and forth to view images on another tab:

intrepid and Mad like this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
intrepid (01-18-2018), Mad (01-19-2018)
post #5 of 23 Old 01-18-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepid View Post
Thanks GeorgeC, Since I have not had a close look yet of everything I am only going by the pictures my son sent. You have me wondering now where is the fence suppose to make contact in the rails? Is the contact aluminum to aluminum? I understand your point about locating holes for the front rail. Maybe the rail needs to be raised a bit. That should stop any contact with the underside of the fence to table. But again, where are the contact points for the fence in the front rail?
Thanks again.
Right now my saw is acting as a table. It may be a day or two before it get it cleaned to be able to mount the fence.

It has just been and still unseasonably cold here in the Fl Panhandle to do much in the garage. We had a low of 21 =this morning. My lawn pump is in a well house and I gave it extra cover and added two 100 watt bulbs as everything is cold soaked. Yesterday's high was 35.

George
intrepid likes this.
intrepid (01-18-2018)
post #6 of 23 Old 01-18-2018, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

I know this fence was not nearly as mass produced as many others including the Align-a-Rip, which I believe replaced the XR fences.( Not sure, maybe they were produced at the same time) However, at least one member here has one, GerorgC, and from what I understand he said, there are no glides on the underside of the fence. If this is the case, I suspect there must be some very fine tuning to adjust the rails to the table. It would be nice if there were a manual available for the XR Fence. However, I'm sure once I have it in hand, I should be able to figure it out. I was just hoping if there is any thing missing or needing replaced, such as glides, I could obtain them before I pack the saw for shipment.
thanks again all.
post #7 of 23 Old 01-18-2018, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

GorgeC,
I see you posted about the same time I wrote my last post. Thanks for your efforts. I understand the weather concerns. Here is is too hot and or humid most of the time and if I want to do any kind of work, I have to have air conditioning. Anyway, I'll wait until you can check your fence and let me know what you find. Thanks again,
danny
post #8 of 23 Old 01-19-2018, 06:56 AM

I will look and see if I have a manual. I did not do any fine tuning. Just mounted and used.

George
intrepid likes this.
intrepid (01-19-2018)
post #9 of 23 Old 01-21-2018, 05:24 PM

I do have the manual. Will send you a private message.

George
intrepid (01-21-2018)
post #10 of 23 Old 01-21-2018, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
I do have the manual. Will send you a private message.

George
Thanks George. An email and PM was sent.
danny
post #11 of 23 Old 01-23-2018, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

A big thank you to GeorgeC who took the time to copy and email me the manual for the XR2424 Craftsman fence system. The copy is very clear and easy to read. The instructions are detailed with a lot of information that I will need when reassembling my saw. I am still amazed that there were no sort of glides under the fence where it rides on the rails. I suppose once it is correctly adjusted, it will not ride on the table and should be correctly riding within the rails.
Thanks again George,
danny
post #12 of 23 Old 01-23-2018, 06:13 AM

You are welcome Danny.

I now have the manual on a flash drive if anyone else ever needs one.
intrepid and Mad like this.
intrepid (01-23-2018)
post #13 of 23 Old 01-26-2018, 11:23 AM

View mangorockfish's Photo Album My Photos
Hey George, I have an XR on my 113 saw and love it. Somewhere in the shuffle, I misplaced the book, so would you please send me a copy? Thanks
post #14 of 23 Old 04-21-2018, 12:22 AM

View Pete-in-cda's Photo Album My Photos
I could use a copy.
post #15 of 23 Old 04-21-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-in-cda View Post
I could use a copy.
Send me your email address by PM and I will see if I still have that folder on my computer.

George
post #16 of 23 Old 05-19-2018, 07:34 AM

View Dannyfred's Photo Album My Photos
I need one. If you could send me a manual that would be fantastic.
Dan
post #17 of 23 Old 05-19-2018, 02:01 PM

I need your email address.

George
post #18 of 23 Old 05-20-2018, 02:02 AM

View AlWood's Photo Album My Photos
those files for XR2424 fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
Send me your email address by PM and I will see if I still have that folder on my computer.

George
George, I'd appreciate having your files for XR2424 fence (if you still have them), but I have some silly problem. Although I've been on this forum for 8 years, I forgot how to use personal mail (need to send you my personal email); can you reeducate me on how I can get access to your private mail? (I've been away for a long while...) Thanks a bunch! Al
post #19 of 23 Old 05-20-2018, 05:35 AM

Click on my name on this post. Then click on where it says to send private email.

George
post #20 of 23 Old 05-20-2018, 03:16 PM

View Dannyfred's Photo Album My Photos
I could not find your email when I clicked on your name.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode