Woodworking Talk banner

Craftsman webbed extension tables

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  sweensdv 
#1 ·
Craftsman webbed extension tables.

I currently have 2 webbed cast extension tables and 1 cast Craftsman router table extension on my Craftsman contractor saw. I have been looking for some solid extensions and if I find them for a reasonable outlay of cash, not too much, I might replace the webbed with the solid ones even if they are only 10".

My question is, the top face on the extension table is 9/32 above the webs. It seems like a 1/4" of material should set into the webbed area easily enough. Has anyone ever filled that space with plywood or MDF? Know anyone that did? How did it hold up? 1 year? 5 years? Was it worth the effort? Were you happy with the result?

#2 ·
I have seen it done

The question is what material would you use? Baltic Birch would seem to bee a good choice. A piece of Lexan would also work. I would turn the extensions over, apply a bead of silicone adhesive to the ribs beforehand, and then weigh them down so the surface is flush to all the cast iron.

My better idea... would be to purchase a table or a complete 27" deep saw off Craig's List or ebay and just use that. It will have the miter slots built in, a handy feature. In fact, that's how I added the extra saws and tables to my Sawzilla table saw(s).

Reactions: subroc
#3 ·
The question is what material would you use? Baltic Birch would seem to bee a good choice. A piece of Lexan would also work. I would turn the extensions over, apply a bead of silicone adhesive to the ribs beforehand, and then weigh them down so the surface is flush to all the cast iron...
Some good ideas on the install. I had been thinking about the Baltic Birch. Lexan might be the better choice though. I like the cast top but am not all that keen on the grid.

...My better idea... would be to purchase a table or a complete 27" deep saw off Craig's List or ebay and just use that. It will have the miter slots built in, a handy feature. In fact, that's how I added the extra saws and tables to my Sawzilla table saw(s).
I have the saws. I have parted out a few saws. I have a complete spare saw body and motor that is a match to my saw (same model #) under the bench as well as another saw body in the truck that is for sale. That is an option to be sure. I haven't ruled it out. If I did that, it would be separate build, apart from my current saw. I am not ready for that level of work right now. Building a stand, making a set of fence rails and installing them. The space that work will take up in my tiny shop can't be sacrificed right now. Too many projects in front of it.

#4 ·
I just did a temporary install with some MDF. I believe I want some kind of plywood instead. Each piece had to be fitted and I had to use the file a bit to remove some casting goobers off the extensions. I am not sure if I like it all that much but I don't hate it.

#5 ·
Years ago I did something just like that with my Ridgid 3612. I can't remember what type of wood I used but I do remember that it didn't take all that long for it to start warping and twisting, maybe 8-10 months. Once they started to do that it didn't take but the slightest bump to knock them out of the depression they sit in. I ended up just tossing them and went back to the open grid. Actually, I don't know what the fuss is all about with the open grids as they've not caused me any problems since that time I pinched a finger in one. Live and learn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.