Craftsman routers - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By _Ogre
  • 1 Post By kiwi_outdoors
  • 1 Post By GeorgeC

post #1 of 20 Old 03-25-2020, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
Craftsman routers

I'm always running across these routers in pawn and usually dont look at them because I turned one upside down too many moons ago to remember and the bearing burnt through the top .

Guess the question is did Craftsman ever have a good run on routers that were made decent enough to purchase. If I knew what I was looking for it might be worth grabbing a few....thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-26-2020, 06:08 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I have 3 old Craftsman routers. All three have been excellent tools. The oldest is my first 1/4 collet router. Later a small compact and last the professional 1/2" collet series.

George
post #3 of 20 Old 03-26-2020, 07:33 AM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
I can't speak for today's craftsman things but I turned against them back in the 70s, I had two routers and they vibrated so bad my hands would tingle when I used them, so I never used that brand of routers again. Some of their tools were good back then but I can't say if any since then have been. I know their mechanic tools have been really good, I just can't advise on their wood working tools.

http://www.diychatroom.com/

BigJim

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 03-26-2020, 08:58 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
You will likely find that pawn shop finds have collet problems, and since you can not get Craftsman parts anymore... I would pass.

Gary

Woodworking is like wetting myself....Only I know that warm feeling!
post #5 of 20 Old 03-26-2020, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

I thought there might be some models that were okay. Thx for the posts
post #6 of 20 Old 03-26-2020, 02:31 PM

View woodshed's Photo Album My Photos
Never finding good prices in pawn shops. High prices always. Tools stay many years, dust on top, no selling. Much looking, never buying.
post #7 of 20 Old 03-26-2020, 02:31 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
i feel like shopping in a pawn shop is bad karma
lotta stolen tools in any pawn shop
Tony B and JayArr like this.
post #8 of 20 Old 03-26-2020, 02:32 PM

View kiwi_outdoors's Photo Album My Photos
my router performed well enough for the two decades I owned it. Now I have a Bosch, which I am still getting used to. It does not cut any better than the Craftsman.
JamesTinKS likes this.

Retired engineer-bureaucrat in Oakland, CA. Been working with wood since the 1960's.

Last edited by kiwi_outdoors; 03-26-2020 at 02:54 PM.
post #9 of 20 Old 03-26-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelwork View Post
I thought there might be some models that were okay. Thx for the posts

As far as I know all of the models were fine. Anybody that I have know that owned one had no problems. There have been many rumors that people like to spread.

Can anybody on this forum speak first hand of a Craftsman problem that they have had?

As far as not purchasing at a pawn shop, if you know what you are shopping for then I see no reason not to buy? Do pawn shops sometimes have stolen merchandise? Yes. Does you not shopping there going to change that? No.. Are the prices high? Maybe and maybe not. You just have to look and see for yourself at your local shop. I have never had to get a part for a router so I do not think that aspect would bother me.

George
post #10 of 20 Old 03-26-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmercer_48083 View Post
You will likely find that pawn shop finds have collet problems, and since you can not get Craftsman parts anymore... I would pass.

What is your source in the information that pawn shop routers may have collet problems? And a blanket statement that you can not get Craftsman parts is incorrect.

George
shoot summ likes this.
post #11 of 20 Old 03-26-2020, 03:02 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
I ran the legs off of one back in the late 80's early 90's. It was a 1hp/1/4" that I had all of the attachments for as well. I eventually killed it and bought a 1.5HP that lasted about 6 months, I haven't owned a Cman router since. I still have the attachments as I felt like the trammel/edge guide was a really good, easy to use setup. Need to see if I can adapt it to something else.

I haven't bought a Cman power tool since that router, too many good choices out there, I lost confidence in them and won't waste my $$'s.

ETA, I, like most others realize that even though they are Cman branded, they are made by someone else, depends on the current contract, and they are made to Cman's specs/price point. I know Ryobi was in the mix at one point, no idea who is now.

Last edited by shoot summ; 03-26-2020 at 03:05 PM.
post #12 of 20 Old 03-26-2020, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodshed View Post
Never finding good prices in pawn shops. High prices always. Tools stay many years, dust on top, no selling. Much looking, never buying.
I put a milwaukee body grip on layaway last month. I bought one before but traded it before I ever used it. This time I payed About $65 with tge case, collet and wrenches. The most I've ever payed but I wanted it...

The picking have been slim but I bet they will be better in a few months....
post #13 of 20 Old 03-26-2020, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

I may give a few a go. Sometimes they sit so long there's a price deduction. I thought if there were particular yearsand models hat wee better. The last time I had one and burned it up it was about a $30-$40 new....
post #14 of 20 Old 03-26-2020, 05:53 PM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
I bought a Craftsman 7/8 HP model, 1/4 collet, about 1972. From a scrap piece of 3/8 aluminum I made a router table plate for it. I found that 90% of the time I had the router in that makeshift table that I made. Thinking of all the molding in the houses in Ohio and Pennsylvania that I made with that set up, it amazes me.

Mine was purchased for about $35 with tax in the Sears catalog store, Oil City. We were over visiting the in-laws, I knew it was on sale and Dad had to go Sears to pick something up so I took the bait.

The router has the best safety feature possible. The off/on switch is a trigger grip in the handle and had a lock on button. Sort of like your drill.

Here a few years ago, I was out for a walk and went past a house that was foreclosed. The house had been cleaned out and it was trash day. In the gutter next to the trash can was the same model with a stuck bit. I took it home, tried it out with the stuck bit and it worked cool. I hit the bit with a scrap piece of wood and got the bit to come out. About a month later I sold it at a garage sale for $30.

Rich
Just a dumb old paper boy from Brooklyn, NY
post #15 of 20 Old 03-26-2020, 08:28 PM
That Guy

View JayArr's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Does you not shopping there going to change that? No
Actually it does, if people keep buying the tools then the pawn shop keeps buying the stolen tools from the thieves to re-stock. If we stop buying the stolen tools from the pawn shop such that they have 6 routers on the shelf they'll turn away the thief at the back door who wants to fence a router. Once the thief knows he can't fence a router he'll stop stealing them.

That makes all of our garages and tool sheds safer and less likely to be broken into and looted.

My brother wanted a guitar and decided to buy it from the pawn shop knowing it was probably stolen. While he was in the pawn shop a thief broke the back window of his car out and stole his $500 leather jacket. I laughed so hard when he told me that I fell off my chair. I can't think of a better example of karma.

I wouldn't dare buy from a pawn shop for fear that a month later my garage would get broken into.
post #16 of 20 Old 03-27-2020, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

All my routers came from pawn shops. They don't know if it's stolen but wait 2 months to put on the floor to sell.

If the router was stolen there is plenty of time for an officer to check with the pawn shops to see if they have this particular item...

I had tools stole out of my garage onetime in 2006. CASH AMERICA was very helpful and returned my tools no questions asked. Another pawn shop refused to return my Senco nail gun and said I could bring an officer or I could re purchase it after it hit the floor.

This is why I shop at Cash America...

I buy my tools to make a living, most here buy for fun. I needed mine , did you need yours...
post #17 of 20 Old 03-27-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArr View Post
Actually it does, if people keep buying the tools then the pawn shop keeps buying the stolen tools from the thieves to re-stock. If we stop buying the stolen tools from the pawn shop such that they have 6 routers on the shelf they'll turn away the thief at the back door who wants to fence a router. Once the thief knows he can't fence a router he'll stop stealing them.

That makes all of our garages and tool sheds safer and less likely to be broken into and looted.

My brother wanted a guitar and decided to buy it from the pawn shop knowing it was probably stolen. While he was in the pawn shop a thief broke the back window of his car out and stole his $500 leather jacket. I laughed so hard when he told me that I fell off my chair. I can't think of a better example of karma.

I wouldn't dare buy from a pawn shop for fear that a month later my garage would get broken into.

You have a very jaded view of pawn shops. Seems like you think most of the items they sell are stolen. You need to go to the police station where you live and get the real answer.
post #18 of 20 Old 03-27-2020, 09:33 PM
That Guy

View JayArr's Photo Album My Photos
It sounds like pawn shops are much more respectable where you live. Maybe I do have a jaded view from years ago, I'll have to drop by one and see if I'm holding onto an incorrect opinion of them.

Last edited by JayArr; 03-27-2020 at 11:02 PM.
post #19 of 20 Old 04-02-2020, 07:51 PM
BTU

View BTU's Photo Album My Photos
Nothing wrong with old Craftsman routers if you don't mind a little runout, noisy universal motors, lack of adequate dust control, plastic innards where metal should be, and now, difficult to repair (unless you find a like unit for spare parts).

Nothing wrong with pawn shops either--burglars gotta have customers or they'd be robbin' folks, right? Actually, the average wood worker is one of the pawnshops' benefactors. Pawn brokers have all kinds of requirements to adhere to and serious penalties if they don't.

The wood worker who acquires/buys a new tool and then fails to engrave/etch, photograph, document the make, model and serial number of the tool(s) plays right into the hands of both crooks and marginal slacker pawn brokers but also the flea bay, CL and dozens of other on-line disposal sites. The police aren't going to task their burglary units trying to enter odd-ball owner descriptions unless the object is truly one-of-a-kind, very over the top valuable, etc. The National Crime Information Center needs the identifiers cited above to positively identify stolen merchandise so it is useful for officers who run across equipment in street contact, raids, dumps, pawn shop inspections & records. Most honorable shops wouldn't think of taking a piece with a defaced, unreadable or missing serial number--it just too easy for them to get burned.

On the other hand, if you accurately maintain records, you can help fight crime significantly. A pawn broker who takes a piece of equipment with an intact s/n, etched operator's license number, etc. will usually have the photo and thumb/fingerprint as well as a copy of whatever POS ID the crook or mule used to pawn the item. This is what coppers refer to as a good lead! Finally, if you are visiting a pawn shop and notice items with defaced serials, company logos, etc. take a pic and shoot it to your local Crime Prevention Unit--it might result in an arrest (give up the idea of a conviction---only plea bargains happening these days ;( )

post #20 of 20 Old 04-02-2020, 09:34 PM

View TwoRails's Photo Album My Photos
I don't route much but my 25-30 year old Craftsman works fine when l do use it (a few times a year on average).

Sears may be gone but Craftsman isn't. A quick Google search shows parts are still available for a lot of stuff.

Here's Craftsman's own site:
https://www.craftsman.com/customer-care/parts-service

And you can get 'official' Craftsman router parts here (as well as for other tools and manufacturers)
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/cr...86_170726.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode