Craftsman RAS - Yoke lock issue - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 09-01-2012, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

View Bumpus's Photo Album My Photos
Craftsman RAS - Yoke lock issue

I ordered the recall kit for my RAS (Model 113.19770), while waiting on the kit I decided to clean up the saw since it has been years since it has been run. (Another story for another day)

I took the carriage off the arm and removed the upper assembly to clean the carriage bearings. In putting everything back together, the yoke lock does not function. If I loosen the nut enough to move the yoke lever, it is not tight and the entire carriage moves. If I tighten the top nut to remove any movement, the yoke lever will not move at all.

There is a roll pin just above the yoke lever that drops (raises) into a 'dip' in the carriage causing it to prohibit movement.

I downloaded the manual and have made sure my assembly is correct (washers in the right places) but I'm still stumped.

Hopefully someone here can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I did a search here and found nothing, so I must be the only man in America that can't put this back together!

Thanks, Bumpus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-01-2012, 11:14 PM

View BigJoe16's Photo Album My Photos
Maybe try taking it apart and re-check the parts. It probably something simple.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-01-2012, 11:56 PM
Trytore Member

View Shop Dad's Photo Album My Photos
I feel your pain! I went through the same issue when I took mine completely apart. It's a simple solution but delicate maneuver. When you are placing the shaft attached to the knob back down the arm you need to get the bolt head up in a notch while planting it at the end. This allows adjustment both ways. Check out the PDF attached (it's clearer than the image). The end of the shaft (#24) must fit up into part #25 while also fitting over #26. Use a flashlight to get your bearings then do it by touch. Good luck!

RadialArmSawSchematic.pdf

Name:  RAS_Schematic.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  22.2 KB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-02-2012, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

I was afraid I wan't explaining myself clearly...I was right!

I have just Page 28 from the manual here;

http://www.wadesems.org/PDF/Page28.PDF

Here is the entire manual. On the page labeled 38 (acutal 37 in the PDF) shows the exploded view of the yoke. The parts in question are #17, #18, #38 and #39

http://www.wadesems.org/PDF/Craftsman_Saw.PDF

I hope this makes it clearer.

Bumpus

PS - The website used for the downloads is the site of the EMS squad I volunteer for
post #5 of 9 Old 09-02-2012, 01:17 PM
Trytore Member

View Shop Dad's Photo Album My Photos
All right, well always happy to solve the wrong problem! Not sure I can help you with this one. Can you see how it is supposed to function? In other words, how does the dip create the ability to allow movement or stop it down?
post #6 of 9 Old 09-02-2012, 03:15 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
just yoking around

The yoke lock prevents the saw carrier below the roller plate from rotating when locked. If I recall it's a bit touchy to adjust.
Seems to me there is a spring washer on the bolt, but I could be wrong. Parts no. 17, nut, 2- 18 washers, 38 stud/bolt, 39 handle. Page 28 explains how to "readjust" it,. but not after total dissassembly .... I have a saw carriage off the arm, so I'll check one to see what I find out shortly.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 9 Old 09-03-2012, 09:18 PM

View BBC3's Photo Album My Photos
I thought the numbers looked familiar. I looked it up and THATS MY SAW. So at last I have found a Brotha.!!! LOL

If you are experienced with this saw, please let me know of any thoughts, tips, or tricks. Do you know if this saw was a "Good one" or not. I have a feelling it was made after the 70's ones I have seen spoken with higher regard?? Or did it make the cut?

FYI in one of the recent threads I posted where I found some carriage bearings - 4 for about 18 bucks shipped if you need...

Can you please explain the recall and how to get it. I have read a few years back when I first started thinking of restoring it to fucntion that it had something to do with the guard around the blade, but I am unclear as to the issue. Mine seems to have all the parts. Are they just defective?

TIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
I ordered the recall kit for my RAS (Model 113.19770), while waiting on the kit I decided to clean up the saw since it has been years since it has been run. (Another story for another day)

I took the carriage off the arm and removed the upper assembly to clean the carriage bearings. In putting everything back together, the yoke lock does not function. If I loosen the nut enough to move the yoke lever, it is not tight and the entire carriage moves. If I tighten the top nut to remove any movement, the yoke lever will not move at all.

There is a roll pin just above the yoke lever that drops (raises) into a 'dip' in the carriage causing it to prohibit movement.

I downloaded the manual and have made sure my assembly is correct (washers in the right places) but I'm still stumped.

Hopefully someone here can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I did a search here and found nothing, so I must be the only man in America that can't put this back together!

Thanks, Bumpus
post #8 of 9 Old 09-04-2012, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

WoodNThings - Thanks for looking into it for me. I too was a bit disappointed that the manual didn't explain more. At this point I have it back together, however I'm unable to switch the yoke for a RIP cut. That's not that big a deal since I have a TS to do most of my ripping.

BBC3 - I've owned this saw for many years, however for the last 10+ years it's been in storage since I had no place to use it. The recall address is
http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/
This morning it appears there is a problem with the website. I'll look for a phone number and post it if I find it. My kit came with a new table, blade guard, handle & table mounting rails. Make sure you use the new rails since it moves the RIP fence out a bit futher to make room for the new blade guard. Also keep all the hardware you pull off, they don't send replacement nuts & bolts (Can't complain about that too much!).

I saw the post about the bearings, I may order a set just to put back since it seems they are getting hard to find even though mine appear to be just fine.

Bumpus
post #9 of 9 Old 09-05-2012, 01:53 PM

View BBC3's Photo Album My Photos
SWEET & Prisch..!!!

Just got off the phone with them. They were nice, quick, and did not demand a whole bunch of BS like you would think.. I had heard something about the guard, but did not know that included a table!!

Nice.. You really have to wonder how all that is funded,?, other than probably 99% dont know.. LOL I Wonder if the current manufacturers would do the same, or still be around even. Doubtfull as they are probably corps or sub-corps preset to "break-off in case of emergency".... But, probably Emerson just had too much going on elsewhere to just close the doors on a cheap chapter 11 I would speculate. Just goes to show we should be researching company depth and strength when considering where to buy...

thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
WoodNThings - Thanks for looking into it for me. I too was a bit disappointed that the manual didn't explain more. At this point I have it back together, however I'm unable to switch the yoke for a RIP cut. That's not that big a deal since I have a TS to do most of my ripping.

BBC3 - I've owned this saw for many years, however for the last 10+ years it's been in storage since I had no place to use it. The recall address is
http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/
This morning it appears there is a problem with the website. I'll look for a phone number and post it if I find it. My kit came with a new table, blade guard, handle & table mounting rails. Make sure you use the new rails since it moves the RIP fence out a bit futher to make room for the new blade guard. Also keep all the hardware you pull off, they don't send replacement nuts & bolts (Can't complain about that too much!).

I saw the post about the bearings, I may order a set just to put back since it seems they are getting hard to find even though mine appear to be just fine.

Bumpus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode