Craftsman Professional Contractor's Saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 04-20-2011, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
The village amadán.

View Mr Mac's Photo Album My Photos
Craftsman Professional Contractor's Saw

The Craftsman 21833 contractor's saw that is identical to the Ridgid 4512 is on sale at Sears for $469.39 for Sears Craftsman Club and/or Shop Your Way Rewards members. That would be 22% off! I got mine!

Mac

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-20-2011, 07:41 AM

View Woodworkingkid's Photo Album My Photos
that sounds like you got a great deal
post #3 of 12 Old 04-20-2011, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
The village amadán.

View Mr Mac's Photo Album My Photos
Especially when you consider this!

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-29-2011, 10:47 AM

View rkcrawl's Photo Album My Photos
Have you had a chance to set up this table saw? I've been reading about some alignment issues with this saw as you raise/lower the blade.
I'm in the market for my first table saw, and this is one I'm considering (if I don't go for something that takes less space like the R4510).

Thanks
post #5 of 12 Old 04-29-2011, 02:22 PM

View OTR366's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcrawl View Post
Have you had a chance to set up this table saw? I've been reading about some alignment issues with this saw as you raise/lower the blade.
I'm in the market for my first table saw, and this is one I'm considering (if I don't go for something that takes less space like the R4510).

Thanks
I recently purchased the 21833 saw and have not had any problems with the arbor/blade alignment as the blade is raised or lowered. I took a great deal of care and time during the out of box setup to align the blade to the table using a dial indicator. My #1 issue with the 21833 is the rip fence. It is complete junk. When I align it to the miter slot to within +/- 0.005 it won't move. The extruded aluminium itself is not true and flat along the face of the fence with a twist that varies by 0.0163. Therefore, when it is perpendicular to the table in the front, it is off perpendicular in the back by a little more the 1/64".

I have a Delta T2 fence system ordered to replace the stock fence because other then the stock fence the 21833 preforms very well IMHO.

My brother on the other hand bought the R4512 last week and the stock fence on it is much better and can be adjusted true and still glide nicely. I tried to trade him my fence system for his but he wouldn't go for it .

If I had it to do over I would buy the Ridgid R4512 over the Craftsman 21833.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-29-2011, 02:41 PM
Cat Herder

View ChiknNutz's Photo Album My Photos
So they are a little different then? I briefly looked at the R4512 and to my eyes, the fence seemed pretty decent (relative to my heap, that's not saying much). Have not compared it with the Craftsman. I'm in the market for about this price-range so thanks for the feedback (Amazon had the Steel City 35990C for $649 recently and now it's $800!)

Chris A.
Live a life worth celebrating!

Ridgid R4221 12" CMS, R4330 Planer | Bosch MRC23EVSK Router, 1591EVSL Jigsaw, PB360S Power Box | JDS Air-Tech HP air cleaner | Grizzly 14" bandsaw (Laguna LT14 clone), Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust Collector | Festool Rotex 150/5 FEQ, CT 36 E, ETS EC125/3, TS75, Domino XL | Incra "Works" LS25 router table | Grizzly G1023RL
post #7 of 12 Old 04-29-2011, 03:17 PM

View slicksqueegie's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mac
The Craftsman 21833 contractor's saw that is identical to the Ridgid 4512 is on sale at Sears for $469.39 for Sears Craftsman Club and/or Shop Your Way Rewards members. That would be 22% off! I got mine!

Mac
I bought the R4512 back in January, and I'm just getting around to using it more often due to weather. The fact that it's on wheels screws with the alignment of the front rail. I have had the fence off 3 times to re-align. I used loc-tite and stopped moving it around. So far so good. They shoulda had one piece rail. Also 3/4" plywood bogs it down extremely bad with the stock blade. A new blade is a must. After these minor tweaks it's not too bad, but a bit overpriced IMO.

Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!

Last edited by slicksqueegie; 04-30-2011 at 08:44 AM.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-29-2011, 04:06 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksqueegie View Post
I bought the R4512 back in January, and I'm just getting around to using it more often due to weather. The fact that it's on wheels screws with the alignment of the front rail. I have had the fence off 3 times to re-align. I used loc-tite and stopped moving it around. So far so good. They shoulda had one piece fence. Also 3/4" plywood bogs it down extremely bad with the stock blade. A new blade is a must. After these minor tweaks it's not too bad, but a bit overpriced IMO.
Slick - You'll definitely want a better blade for furniture work, but even with a stock blade that saw should cruise through 3/4" without hesitation. Alignment can make a huge difference, double check and make sure the blade and fence are perfectly aligned.

OTR (ooh...that sounds bad! ) - Thanks for the tidbit about the fence differences.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-29-2011, 04:08 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mac View Post
Especially when you consider this!
Just wondering, how much did you get for the ex wife?

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #10 of 12 Old 04-30-2011, 08:49 AM

View slicksqueegie's Photo Album My Photos
I meant to say a "One piece front rail" not fence. Minor tweaks and shes not so bad, just a lil underpowered, but then again my old saw was a 5 HP unisaw!

Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
post #11 of 12 Old 05-16-2011, 08:57 PM

Looks like this saw goes on sale again next week via the craftsman club, though it doesn't look like its as good a deal as Mr Mac got on it. Might have to go check it out.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-23-2011, 01:19 PM

I purchased this saw this weekend and I almost have it completely assembled.

Observations with my saw:

Installation instructions seemed adequate, I didn't have any issues with assembly.
Out of the box the blade alignment looks pretty good. I still need to use a dial indicator, but it looks pretty darn close.
The blade alignment doesn't change when raising or lowering the blade (I know that has been a complaint I read about with this saw).

Fence rails: The support bar that connects the front and rear fence rails on the right side is too long and not square. Long by about 1/16", enough to make the fence not go on easily if at all. Easily fixed (if you have metal tools, I do), but still a bummer. On the other hand, a rtr table extension might take its place (though the rear fence rail strength for it is questionable).

Fence: I haven't measured it for straightness yet. Fence to blade was off by 1/8" on the right (still need to check left side) and the plastic indicators move all over when tightening it back down.

Mitre guage: Don't like the design on the stops, the little pin that can be pulled out to allow moving past the 90/45 degree stops allows too much play at those stops.

Based on reading, didn't bother with the supplied blade. Picked up a Freud Diablo series blade.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode