Craftsman lathe broken - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By FrankC

post #1 of 17 Old 08-05-2018, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

View tdecell's Photo Album My Photos
Craftsman lathe broken

I've got a Craftsman lathe, model #351-217150. The upper front pulley of the Reeves drive, the one with the indexing holes, shaft broke in two today. Sears website shows it to be No longer available. Anybody know of another source for parts for this lathe. I may take it to someone to see if it can be repaired...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-05-2018, 07:43 PM

View mjadams61's Photo Album My Photos
post #3 of 17 Old 08-05-2018, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

That's where I went at first. The part I need is #9, shows to be discontinued...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 08-05-2018, 11:16 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdecell View Post
I've got a Craftsman lathe, model #351-217150. The upper front pulley of the Reeves drive, the one with the indexing holes, shaft broke in two today. Sears website shows it to be No longer available. Anybody know of another source for parts for this lathe. I may take it to someone to see if it can be repaired...
It's just going to be difficult to find. Probably your best bet would be to find an entire headstock on ebay. There is someone parting out old machines all the time.
post #5 of 17 Old 08-06-2018, 09:43 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
It would be nice to know who made the lathe for Sears. But Craftsman always changed a few parts so they wouldn't interchange with the OEM parts. Used to have Craftsman contractors for customers.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #6 of 17 Old 08-06-2018, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

That's what I'm hoping for! I'll keep searching. I've got someone that says they can braze it back together. Kinda on the fence about that..
There's also a metalworking lathe in my shop that the previous owner left. Might be time to learn how to use it..
post #7 of 17 Old 08-06-2018, 03:29 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
It is possible the pulley can be repaired, depends on where it is broken, is the person that offered to braze it an experienced welder, if so what have you got to lose?

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #8 of 17 Old 08-06-2018, 06:15 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
He got "shafted", not pulleyed ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdecell View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
It is possible the pulley can be repaired, depends on where it is broken, is the person that offered to braze it an experienced welder, if so what have you got to lose?

The shaft probably can be brazed. I've done quite a bit of brazing and it would help to have a fixture to hold it in, like a" V" made of angle iron. Then a lathe would be good to turn down the excess braze. It can be done by hand with a grinder and a file and then a strap of emery paper OR wet dry taped together with duct tape.

The real question is ..... Why did it fail? Normally there is not a great deal of torque on a shaft like that, especially for woodworking. Maybe a heavy bowl was being turned? A new shaft can also be made if it's not all that complicated. Maybe just as cheap as the brazing? Consult your friendly local machine shop. I have found machine shops are more than willing to help out a fellow in need, often will just not accept payment for small jobs like pressing out a bushing.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #9 of 17 Old 08-07-2018, 03:12 AM

Part #9 looks like one-half of a vari-drive pulley to me which he says is the part he needs so I am confused.
Attached Images

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
post #10 of 17 Old 08-08-2018, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

#9 is what I need. It is the half of the top pulley that has the shaft made onto it that the other half of the pulley slides on. Mine was stuck, wouldn't slide on the shaft. It broke while I was trying to free it up. I put too much pressure/ strain on it while trying to remove it. It shows to be discontinued / no longer available from Sears / Craftsmans web site.
post #11 of 17 Old 08-08-2018, 10:34 PM

It would help if you posted a photo of the damaged pulley, how it is broken makes a difference as to whether it can be repaired.

― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
post #12 of 17 Old 08-08-2018, 11:10 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
... a detailed description is required, a photo ...?

Quote:
It would help if you posted a photo of the damaged pulley, how it is broken makes a difference as to whether it can be repaired.

So, we'll do all the work, find the photo online and all we need is what it's made from...steel? ... aluminum? Steel can be brazed, aluminum need to be TIG welded. Can someone machine a new one? Might take a big chunk of material to start with ... unless it's a two piece pressed together unit? We got more questions than answers.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #13 of 17 Old 08-09-2018, 11:58 AM

I have been dealing with variable drive pulleys most of my life, started on the farm as a kid helping my Dad rebuild the drive on a Massey combine every summer so it would get through the harvest in the fall.

I then spent years working with envelope manufacturing and printing machines, much of the older equipment used var-drives as well.

Believe me it is not an efficient system, the belt basically forces the pulleys apart as speeds are changed putting pressure on the back of the moveable sheave so it is constantly attempting to run at an angle which puts pressure on the hub which tends to wear out, then the unit starts to wobble.

Add in a spline or a keyway which is taking a beating and something has to eventually give up.

Thankfully DC drives showed up in the manufacturing industry and we eventually got rid of the vari-drives.

― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
post #14 of 17 Old 08-09-2018, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Didn’t mean to make anyone go to any trouble, sorry woodnthings...
Here’s a pic. It’s cast steel, so no welding, can be brazed... I was just originally looking for another possible source for the part. I work in the automotive industry, I’ve got plenty of welder /machinist friends to repair or make another one. Thanks for all the help guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4FBF8214-3F98-43F2-A974-3B54CB10E819_1533831617792.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	364696  

Last edited by tdecell; 08-09-2018 at 12:29 PM.
post #15 of 17 Old 08-09-2018, 12:55 PM

Have you checked here:

http://www.master-pt.com/images/pdf/pulleykits.pdf
woodnthings and Maylar like this.

― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
post #16 of 17 Old 08-10-2018, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks! I'll look and see, they've got quite a selection...
post #17 of 17 Old 08-10-2018, 11:53 AM

View Mikhail2400's Photo Album My Photos
Just a thought but you could get a new shaft. Take the large part of your broken shaft to a machine shop, have them clean up the break and cut keyway slots in the old piece and the new shaft. Then you install the old drive part on the new shaft. Just a thought but either way I would take the shaft to a local machine shop and see what they think. They just may have a better idea than all of us being as they do stuff like that all the time.

P.S. Cast iron can be welded. We would use Nicad rods, a torch for preheating and a ballpeen hammer to ping the weld after every rod. Admittedly this was usually just for skin casing on boilers and nor for anything under pressure or being torqued in any way.

Mike
Everything i build comes with a redneck warranty. If it breaks you get to keep both pieces.

Last edited by Mikhail2400; 08-10-2018 at 11:57 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode