Craftsman fence to Grizzly band saw. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Alchymist

post #1 of 7 Old 08-01-2018, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Craftsman fence to Grizzly band saw.

Got the Craftsman fence basically installed, few little things to do yet.Third pic shows the mounting/adjustment screw for the front rail, will probably change the 1/4" bolt shown for a 5/16" or a 3/8" one for more rigidity. Need to swap the 1/4" bolt shown as it's a round head, and I need to put in countersunk flat heads to miss the fence clamp. (Didn't have any flatheads, so temporarily used RH). RH were ok for initial fit, will be a size change anyway when done. Fence clamps securely.

One other thing - how many band saw owners use the miter gauge? I have used a makeshift fence several times since acquiring the saw, but never needed the miter gauge. If I want to use a miter gauge I'll have to slot the rails, (see last pic. Don't know if I'll bother or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6616.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	364398  

Name:	IMG_6615.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	364400  

Name:	IMG_6617.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	364402  

Name:	IMG_6619.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	270.8 KB
ID:	364404  

hawkeye10 likes this.

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-01-2018, 09:41 PM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
What a great idea. I don't understand why they include a fence with most BS's they aren't worth having. Did you have to cut the Craftsman fence off because it was too long? It seems to me you would. My BS is a 14" Grizzly and I do a lot of resawing (nothing big) and I use Timberwolf blades. I have a 3/16" blade and a 1/2" blade with 3TPI. I like the 3TPI because it gets rid of the sawdust.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-01-2018, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye10 View Post
What a great idea. I don't understand why they include a fence with most BS's they aren't worth having. Did you have to cut the Craftsman fence off because it was too long? It seems to me you would. My BS is a 14" Grizzly and I do a lot of resawing (nothing big) and I use Timberwolf blades. I have a 3/16" blade and a 1/2" blade with 3TPI. I like the 3TPI because it gets rid of the sawdust.
I didn't have to cut the Craftsman fence off. Third picture shows the standoff for fine adjustment, whole thing is basically 3 pieces of angle iron. Saw is a Grizzly G1019 14" with the riser block. Required only drilling 2 new holes in the back side of the table, tapped 1/4-20.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-01-2018, 09:58 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
the miter slot issue

Typically, the fence rail sits below the miter slots, so no need to cut that portion away. Your fence must not allowed for that? I like to have the miter gauge available for cutting off square to the length of the workpiece, so I would make any changes to accomplish that. Slotting the top of the rail wouldn't weaken it so that's a choice. You could fit a long rectangular section down the entire rail, so when you slot it, there won't be a gaping hole to catch stuff.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 7 Old 08-01-2018, 10:58 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Most bandsaws don't cut that straight anyway so a miter gauge is pretty well useless, particularly if you have a miter saw for cross cuts.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #6 of 7 Old 08-02-2018, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Typically, the fence rail sits below the miter slots, so no need to cut that portion away. Your fence must not allowed for that? I like to have the miter gauge available for cutting off square to the length of the workpiece, so I would make any changes to accomplish that. Slotting the top of the rail wouldn't weaken it so that's a choice. You could fit a long rectangular section down the entire rail, so when you slot it, there won't be a gaping hole to catch stuff.
I didn't have the rails from the old saw. In the second picture you can see the arm that tightens on the rail - it only sticks below the table surface about 3/8" or less, necessitating the rail be flush with the table top. A slot in that angle iron would cut completely through the top flange and down into the side flange of the angle iron, so I would have to beef that area up a bit. Could do it, more work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
Most bandsaws don't cut that straight anyway so a miter gauge is pretty well useless, particularly if you have a miter saw for cross cuts.
My thinking exactly, and I just sold my Hitachi miter saw, and am picking up a 12" dual bevel slider today.

post #7 of 7 Old 08-02-2018, 09:56 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I bought a 1953 Delta 890 bandsaw last Fall. It came with a miter gauge. I bought a Kreg bandsaw fence, the Kreg micro-adjuster, and the two Kreg resaw guides that work with it. I use them all, except for the micro-adjuster.

The fence is a perfect fit for my saw and I use it often. I have not done that much resawing, so the jury is still out on the resaw guides. About half the time, I use the fence alone, and the other half I use one of the resaw guides. I think the consistency issues are about getting more practice with them. I have a future project planned, where I will need very thin boards, so that practice will be coming soon.

The Kreg micro-adjuster was a waste of money, in my opinion. It is difficult to adjust when it is attached, and it seems to get in the way more than it helps. I wonder whether its precision is lost on a bandsaw anyway.

I definitely use the miter gauge on my bandsaw. A lot. I use it more like a "small parts sled." It is helpful for making quick, safe, square crosscuts on small pieces. I roll my tools outside to use them, but sometimes I will use the bandsaw in its storage place in the garage without rolling it outside, just to make a quick cut. I use whatever blade is installed. I pull an extension cord to the bandsaw, tighten the tension on the blade, and make the cut. Because the pieces are small, the sawdust is minor and easily ignored.

I turned a pen the other day. The lathe was outside where I work, but I cut the pen blank in half on the bandsaw in the garage, using the miter gauge for the cut. I "clamped" the pen blank against the miter gauge with my right hand, which was protected from the blade by the miter gauge itself. I lined up the mark with the blade and made the cut. Yes, I could have easily made the cut without the miter gauge, using one hand on either side of the blade. I know that the cut did not have to be perfectly square. At the same time, there is something to be said about the relaxed comfort of using the miter gauge to improve ease of use and increase safety.

I could have made the cut on my table saw with the small parts sled. The table saw blade kerf is wider, and I would have had to roll out the table saw and set it up first (along with the dust collection cart). The bandsaw and its miter gauge made the cutting the pen blank quick and easy, with a very thin kerf. Sawdust was minimal.

P.S. We have a miter saw, but I would prefer to use the bandsaw or table saw for crosscuts on small parts like pen blanks.

Last edited by Tool Agnostic; 08-02-2018 at 09:59 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode