Craftsman Electronic Radial Arm Saw Encoders - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 09-12-2020, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

View Jason42's Photo Album My Photos
Craftsman Electronic Radial Arm Saw Encoders

Hi Guys,

The electronics package on my Sears radial arm saw recently went south. After cleaning up the battery box, replacing the battery and setting the points of reference for the miter, bevel and elevation, when I make an adjustment to that setting, the display still reads zero. It's like the electronics are not seeing the encoders. I've disconnected and reconnected (one at a time) all four 4-pin connectors on the back of the display unit and still nothing.

If anyone has any experience with overcoming this kind of problem I would love to hear from you.

Many thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RASelectronics.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	307.4 KB
ID:	395405  

Last edited by Jason42; 09-12-2020 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Clariification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-13-2020, 03:45 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Where else have you searched?

See if any of these links are helpful:
https://www.google.com/search?channe...radial+arm+saw

Pages 78 to 83:
https://www.searspartsdirect.com/man...radial-arm-saw

Ebay has the encoders:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...m+saw&_sacat=0

These saws come up on Craig's List because people are afraid of RAS and this model is so rare, no one knows how to fix them.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 09-13-2020 at 03:54 AM.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-15-2020, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions - did some more digging on the first link. Prompted me to check for power across the 4 leads to the 4 sensors - seems power is not being delivered to them. Looking like it's probably a electronics package failure ... :(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-15-2020, 09:33 AM
where's my table saw?

From my limited electronics experience .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason42 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions - did some more digging on the first link. Prompted me to check for power across the 4 leads to the 4 sensors - seems power is not being delivered to them. Looking like it's probably a electronics package failure ... :(
Power supply issues are the easiest to trace. Maybe there's a schematic someplace ....? You have 120 coming in and it needs to get converted to low voltage DC most likely. A circuit breaker or fuse is the problem? Good Luck.
Check around on the other forums to see what others have done:

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/m...aw--t8117.html

https://www.shopyourway.com/questions/mml/220678

Try these:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Craf...iV_pXiSdtFPxzM

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 09-15-2020 at 09:55 AM.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-15-2020, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Would it be that simple. This electronics package (with LCD readout) is battery powered and the schematic seems to be AWOL. Getting at the trace side of the board would involve surgery that may not allow for reassembly.

Would love to get my hands on a working package where the saw is being parted off ...
post #6 of 12 Old 09-27-2020, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Update - given the Emerson Radial Arm Saw Recall payment and the cost to buy a replacement used RAS, it's just easier to take the deal.

It was a really good saw but not worth the time it might take to resolve the problem ...

Thanks for your input.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-27-2020, 12:01 PM
where's my table saw?

Just don't get the electronic type .......

They are great to have in addition to a table saw just for cross cuts on longer/heavier stock. They will also be fine on smaller/shorter stock BUT you need to watch your fingers ...... that is where they are relative to the blade! Don't watch as you saw them off.
I have several of the older 12" Craftsman and I love them. I've made angle dados for steps/rungs for a library ladder and that was a perfect way to do those. They have their limitations, but I would have a woodshop without one.

post #8 of 12 Old 09-27-2020, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

You got that right! Having grown up with a DeWalt 1030 RAS in my Dad's shop, I've missed having one that handy.
Bought an analogue scaled Sears Craftsman RAS as a replacement for the electronic one - setting up the table now and looking forward to seeing what I can crank out, with all digits intact :) .
post #9 of 12 Old 09-27-2020, 05:18 PM
where's my table saw?

dang typo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
They are great to have in addition to a table saw just for cross cuts on longer/heavier stock. They will also be fine on smaller/shorter stock BUT you need to watch your fingers ...... that is where they are relative to the blade! Don't watch as you saw them off.
I have several of the older 12" Craftsman and I love them. I've made angle dados for steps/rungs for a library ladder and that was a perfect way to do those. They have their limitations, but I would (NOT) have a woodshop without one.

I knew what I meant to say ........

post #10 of 12 Old 09-27-2020, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

... and I read what you meant :).
post #11 of 12 Old 10-14-2020, 04:15 PM

View Bruce Kincheloe's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason42 View Post
Hi Guys,

The electronics package on my Sears radial arm saw recently went south. After cleaning up the battery box, replacing the battery and setting the points of reference for the miter, bevel and elevation, when I make an adjustment to that setting, the display still reads zero. It's like the electronics are not seeing the encoders. I've disconnected and reconnected (one at a time) all four 4-pin connectors on the back of the display unit and still nothing.

If anyone has any experience with overcoming this kind of problem I would love to hear from you.

Many thanks.
I've had good luck for this proplem by running a ground wire from the encoder to the read-out board on every axis not working.
b. Kincheloe
post #12 of 12 Old 10-16-2020, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Hi Bruce, thanks for passing on the fix for your problem. Mine seems to be that there is no voltage being presented to the sensors - it's not even making it to the terminals on the back of the display!?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode