Craftsman Arbor Question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul

post #1 of 10 Old 04-14-2018, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

View ajdragon's Photo Album My Photos
Craftsman Arbor Question

Hi

I have a Craftsman 113,298032 10" table saw, and I would like to see about getting a longer Arbor, and I was wondering if anyone knows where I might be able to find one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-14-2018, 09:07 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdragon View Post
Hi

I have a Craftsman 113,298032 10" table saw, and I would like to see about getting a longer Arbor, and I was wondering if anyone knows where I might be able to find one.
I believe they deliberately make the arbor short so you don't over task the motor with a large dado set. If you need a larger arbor you need a bigger saw.
Jim Frye likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-14-2018, 09:45 PM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
I would also question the arbor bearings being sufficient to handle a dado set on a łonger arbor.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-15-2018, 06:21 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
What is the problem with the current arbor? Why do you want longer?

George
post #5 of 10 Old 04-15-2018, 09:35 AM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
What is the problem with the current arbor? Why do you want longer?

George
A lot of table saws were made with shorter arbors and won't accept a full stack dado set. This was done on more inexpensive saws. Something one should take into consideration when buying a table saw. My saw even has an extra arbor bearing to handle the dado sets.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"
post #6 of 10 Old 04-15-2018, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

View ajdragon's Photo Album My Photos
Hi

Thank you for the replies, as for why I want to get a longer arbor, Jim Frye pretty much explained why. When I got my table I had always intended on getting a stacked dado set for it. Unfortunately I did not know about the ardor length problem I would encounter when I got the dado set, and that is why I asked and was hoping there was a longer arbor option available for my saw.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-15-2018, 02:23 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Hi

Thank you for the replies, as for why I want to get a longer arbor, Jim Frye pretty much explained why. When I got my table I had always intended on getting a stacked dado set for it. Unfortunately I did not know about the ardor length problem I would encounter when I got the dado set, and that is why I asked and was hoping there was a longer arbor option available for my saw.
Since the stack dado won't fit you might see if an adjustable dado is any thinner.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-15-2018, 02:43 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
What width dado?

Most dado sets will work to 13/16" without the flange washer. Don't expect to use the washer with a full set of blades and chipper, it won't work.
Here the page from the manual on that saw regarding dados:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/49...page=30#manual

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #9 of 10 Old 04-15-2018, 08:45 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
My small-ish Bosch REAXX jobsite table saw has a relatively short arbor. It can handle a full 13/16 inch (okay, 3/4 inch) dado set, but it requires a special part. If you use a dado set wider than 1/2 inch, you must use the special part, which is a hex bolt with a cap-shaped (hat-shaped?) flange around it.

The blade arbor on my saw appears to be solid, with a small threaded hole in the end. If you use a dado stack larger than 1/2 inch, then after you place the stack on the arbor, you omit the outside washer, and screw the special bolt into the hole the end of the arbor. The cap-shaped flange fits over the end of the arbor, and presses in on the dado stack to hold it in place. The special nut-with-cap is used in lieu of the regular washer and outside nut.

I wonder whether it would be possible to do something similar with your saw? Probably not. Drilling a perfect straight hole and tapping the threads won't be easy. If you can, then perhaps that special nut for my saw would work if you drill and tap your arbor to match. The special nut-with-cap comes with the zero clearance insert, Bosch part number TS1006. As far as I know, you can't buy the nut-with-cap part separately. You might be able to make something like it easily enough.

That's just another wild, dumb, useless idea, but it might help stimulate other better ideas from others.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-17-2018, 02:18 AM

View AlWood's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Hi

Some (if not all) Craftsman 10" table saw do have short arbor. I thought I am in trouble with dado set (I've got used to old delta contractor TS with much longer arbor and a capped flange). But then I realized that the short arbor design implies that they don't want you to use any flange when using full-blown dado set (and a single blade too), just a arbor nut. (Bill woodthing is right about that.)

One note though -- when using only arbor nut without any flange, you should expect a slight capping of the blade next to the arbor nut, especially with 8" dado.. You can get used to that, simply make sure to make a test cut and see whether the width of the cut is what you want it to be. Made me a bit cringy, but it worked fine. Being still a bit cautious, I found a flat steel washer, a bit thinner than 1/8", and about 3/2'' in diameter (with 5/8'' central hole), and use it as a flange (even with a single blade). But perhaps it is an unnecessary precaution.

Good luck with your dadoing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode