Craftsman 12" RAS Motor Rebuild - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By woodnthings

post #1 of 16 Old 02-14-2012, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Craftsman 12" RAS Motor Rebuild

Mine started making a funny clicking noise so I thought, based on a message from dodgeboy77 aka Bill, I would split 'er open and see what's what . The motors are expoxied together at the Emerson factory and are not supposed to be rebuilt, so I knew it would be a challenge. Bill also mentioned he used a standard bearing from an agricultural store which I had also done for a jointer rebuild...TSC a 5/8" bore 1.52" diameter.

I was most concerned about getting the wiring back correctly but all in all it went smoothly...only 1 "no fire", a wire was off it's mate, and then whirrr. bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1581.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	38327  

Name:	100_1582.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	38328  

Name:	100_1583.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	38329  

Name:	100_1584.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	38330  

Name:	100_1586.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	38331  

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-14-2012, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

continued

they epoxied everything including the bearing seats.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_1588.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	38332  

Name:	100_1589.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	38333  

Name:	100_1591.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	38334  

Attached Images

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 02-14-2012 at 04:25 PM.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-14-2012, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

continued part 2

the bearing had to be pulled off the shaft and the nut was just pressed on as a retainer....

The brake sorta flew apart in my hand and was hard to determine the order of reassembily. Thanks to Bill who linked a Sears Parts page with an exploded view, I gotter done. bill

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...hdMod=11323301
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_1596.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	38337  

Name:	100_1597.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	38338  

Name:	100_1598.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	38339  

Name:	100_1599.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	38340  

Name:	100_1600.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	38341  

Last edited by woodnthings; 02-14-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 02-14-2012, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

Finished ...whirrrrr sweet!

I didn't re-glue it back together, just no confidence I guess.
But not to worry it worked just fine. It is held together with 2 screws and it was a force fit so I don't think it will be coming apart anytime soon. Unless of course the other bearing craps out. . But now I know what to do, so bring it on. bill
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_1601.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	38342  

post #5 of 16 Old 02-14-2012, 05:03 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
Great job!

You could have called me... ya know?

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
The Following User Says Thank You to mdntrdr For This Useful Post:
woodnthings (02-14-2012)
post #6 of 16 Old 02-14-2012, 05:40 PM

View JohnK007's Photo Album My Photos
Great job and documentation sir! Now I know who to call if I ever have problems with mine. Did you need to use the Burton to press them on?
post #7 of 16 Old 02-14-2012, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

Nope, didn't use the Burton

I just set the bearing on the shaft first, the nut next, then used a piece of tubing and a block to "press" the nut up against the bearing when it stopped on the retainer clip, not shown.
The Burton make a nice bench ornament, but it's not tall enough to be very useful. There appear to be a number of ornaments on that bench.... bill

post #8 of 16 Old 02-14-2012, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

I did call Ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdntrdr View Post
Great job!

You could have called me... ya know?
You had no idea what I was talkin' about... you even asked if I knew who you were. Of course I had no idea who you were either. Great team work! Thanks for the help. bill

The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
mdntrdr (02-14-2012)
post #9 of 16 Old 02-14-2012, 06:37 PM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
Bill,

Good job and nice documentation of the repair!

A couple of things to note. That hex shaped collar/nut that you pulled off with the bearing is sometimes held on with a roll pin. Yours wasn't and mine wasn't but some are. That thing is there just so you can hold the arbor while you tighten the arbor nut.

To get that collar and bearing back on, I used the arbor nut with the appropriate spacer (IIRC, I used the blade spacers and one or both of the old bearings). I used an impact wrench to move things into place.

Let us know if you get any vibration/buzzing or anything when you use the saw, since you didn't add any glue or sealer. I used a thin coat of RTV gasket sealer on mine but it made it harder to get the two motor halves to seat all the way. Probably nothing is needed but I was being anal retentive.

The Other Bill
post #10 of 16 Old 02-14-2012, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

Hey thanks

I may go back a use some RTV, but I'll let it "break in" for now.
Mine didn't seal up airtight like before but that will just aid in coolin' the motor.
I didn't mention I used a Dremel with a fine disc to create a narrow slot for my screw driver to split the halves. Worked like a charm. I should wrapped it with the handyman's secret weapon.....like Red Green and called it done. bill

Duct tape?

post #11 of 16 Old 03-15-2012, 02:59 PM

View angelodp's Photo Album My Photos
69 RAS Craftsman

Hi, I am working on my RAS. Inspired by this thread. So when I have the blade off I do hear a click when it starts up and a double click when it slows down. It runs quite smoothly and whirs nicely. Did you determine what the clicks were? Is it imperative to get those clicks gone or is it part of a normal saw. I did not hear those clicks with the blade on. I am not sure about this saw just yet as I had to get a new blade. The old blade was climbing on and then stalling the motor.
post #12 of 16 Old 03-15-2012, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

the motor has a brake

The brake stops the motor/blade from spinning freewheel.
Put the blade on and turn the motor on, wait then off. It should slow down and stop within a few seconds. If not the brake isn't working. The blade acts as a flywheel and will spin longer when it's on than with no blade on. The brake may have a clicking sound when in "on" mode or when the motor is just turned off.

Rotate the arbor shaft by hand and listen for a bad bearing click. If not, you're good to go. Also move the arbor in and out to check for end play, if not you're good to go. Check the rotation by hand for a slight resistance, if not, you're good to go.

I was given the advice ...Just use it 'til it blows up, seizes or releases all it's smoke.... by a motor rebuilding shop who was not interested in splitting the halves and replacing the bad bearing. Seemed reasonable at the time. bill

post #13 of 16 Old 03-15-2012, 04:17 PM

View angelodp's Photo Album My Photos
Ok

Hi Bill, ok so those clicks are the brake engaging and disengaging? It stops in about 2-3 secs..... wish it was faster but that seems to be common. I am going about truing it up and with the new blade all should be well. Many thanks

Ange
post #14 of 16 Old 03-15-2012, 08:07 PM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
Angle

You can watch the brake in action if you take the brake cover off of the right side of the motor (two screws). It doesn't move much (a disc brake on a saw motor!) but you can see it move if you look close.

I have a Rockwell RAS with a manual brake. Without using the brake on that saw, the blade takes well over a minute to come to a stop.

As for the brake being the cause of your clicking; I don't know. Maybe watch the brake to see if the click and the brake action are in sync?

Bill
post #15 of 16 Old 04-25-2016, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

I had a request to show more

There was not a clear explanation of how to remove the arbor out of the case. I used a block at each each end supporting the shaft that was taller than the case was thick. By having a small space below the case, I could tap it downward using a small wood block on either side of the bearings. This should show it better:
Attached Images

Pilgrim15 likes this.

post #16 of 16 Old 08-14-2019, 07:18 PM

View Marc Hayward's Photo Album My Photos
woodnthings
Your are spot on.. now I need to decide if I can pull this off. exactly the same motor I opened the thread about.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode