Craftsman 113 table saw questions - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 08-21-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

View Eman85's Photo Album My Photos
Craftsman 113 table saw questions

Hello all, new to the forum and far from a fine woodworker. I've had a Craftsman 113 table saw for decades and it's been used a lot for around the house projects. It's a model 113 298030 with a 1hp motor and the 2 solid extensions. Recently the motor quit. Instead of having the motor repaired or replacing it I bought another 113 saw. This one is a 3hp Contractor model 113 298840, actually a 1 1/2hp motor. This one has the 2 cast table extensions and has a fence with a gear rail and thumbwheel. It's been in a barn and not in as nice shape as my original.

Now for my questions. Are the basic tables and mechanisms the same on all of the 113 saws? I've put them side by side and can't see any differences aside from 2 holes in the cast table itself that my old saw doesn't have. I'm considering swapping the cast extensions and the fence to my old saw. Surely the fence is better than the one I've been using, my old one has the handle you have to tighten this one has the handle you flip down to lock. If I do that can I add my solid extensions also and increase the width of the table that way? I've already swapped the motor to my old saw as I needed to use the saw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-21-2019, 10:43 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
some parts will interchange .....

As you found, the motors will interchange because the base mounting holes are similar. The fence may also interchange because the holes are the same on the front edge of the table and extensions. Whether the trunnions and blade tilt and elevations will swap out is unknown to me. They may if the mounting holes are the same. I have interchanged tables and motors on my Craftsman saws and even added aftermarket fences, so I would try what you think you'll need and see if it works.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 3 Old 08-22-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

View Eman85's Photo Album My Photos
Motor swap

Actually my original saw is in better condition than the newer one I bought. Much cheaper to buy a whole saw than have my old motor repaired. I would rather use my saw if there is no difference in the innards of it. The complete motor cradle and all swapped right over so that part seems the same.
What advantage or improvement are the cast side tables over the solid style aside from weight?
Are the Craftsman fences with the lock handle and the gear rail any good? Or should I consider a better fence?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode