Craftsman 10 inch radial saw part needed - Help - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 08-04-2012, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 8
View ashnook's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to ashnook
Craftsman 10 inch radial saw part needed - Help

Hi, I have an old (1978?) 10 inch Craftsman radial arm saw which until today was working great. Unfortunately the saw jammed in a bit of hard wood and broke one Carriage Bearing (part number 63117). Can anyone help me locate one or more of these bearings. I can arrange shipment to the UK so this need not be a problem. I will be completely lost without this saw and if I cannot get a replacement bearing I might have to buy a new saw (OUCH!!!). Thanks for any help you can give me.

Brian
ashnook is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 08-04-2012, 09:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 12,263
View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnook View Post
Hi, I have an old (1978?) 10 inch Craftsman radial arm saw which until today was working great. Unfortunately the saw jammed in a bit of hard wood and broke one Carriage Bearing (part number 63117). Can anyone help me locate one or more of these bearings. I can arrange shipment to the UK so this need not be a problem. I will be completely lost without this saw and if I cannot get a replacement bearing I might have to buy a new saw (OUCH!!!). Thanks for any help you can give me.

Brian
Bearings of most types are generally not specific to any given application. Unless there that seems to be something model speficif about this bearing I would look for a suitable replacement.

Here in the States Timken is a major bearing source.

Can you post a picture of the bearing?

George
GeorgeC is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeC For This Useful Post:
ashnook (08-05-2012)
post #3 of 17 Old 08-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Dave Paine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 7,222
View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnook View Post
Hi, I have an old (1978?) 10 inch Craftsman radial arm saw which until today was working great. Unfortunately the saw jammed in a bit of hard wood and broke one Carriage Bearing (part number 63117). Can anyone help me locate one or more of these bearings. I can arrange shipment to the UK so this need not be a problem. I will be completely lost without this saw and if I cannot get a replacement bearing I might have to buy a new saw (OUCH!!!). Thanks for any help you can give me.

Brian
The carriage bearings are unusual. I had a 1983 Craftsman RAS and replaced the carriage bearings a long time ago.

I will see if I can find the old ones. I normally keep things like this around.
Dave Paine is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Paine For This Useful Post:
ashnook (08-05-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 17 Old 08-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Dave Paine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 7,222
View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
The pack rat was correct, I did have the old carriage bearings.

Mine are part #63777.

Your part is showing as "no longer available" on the http://www.searspartsdirect.com site.

These are unusual bearings in that they have a "V" groove on the outside which engages in the carriage rails.

Let me know if you want me to measure my old bearings.
Dave Paine is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Paine For This Useful Post:
ashnook (08-05-2012)
post #5 of 17 Old 08-04-2012, 11:43 AM
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 26,967
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnook View Post
Hi, I have an old (1978?) 10 inch Craftsman radial arm saw which until today was working great. Unfortunately the saw jammed in a bit of hard wood and broke one Carriage Bearing (part number 63117). Can anyone help me locate one or more of these bearings. I can arrange shipment to the UK so this need not be a problem. I will be completely lost without this saw and if I cannot get a replacement bearing I might have to buy a new saw (OUCH!!!). Thanks for any help you can give me.

Brian
Those saws sell here, USA, for as little as $50.00. You might want to consider getting another just for parts, which I have done. If the motor goes you're done, but with a spare motor on hand you're back on track. I was also able to order those bearings a few years ago as I like to keep a few spares on hand, but I don't have any old ones...sorry. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
woodnthings is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
ashnook (08-05-2012)
post #6 of 17 Old 08-05-2012, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 8
View ashnook's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to ashnook
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
Bearings of most types are generally not specific to any given application. Unless there that seems to be something model speficif about this bearing I would look for a suitable replacement.

Here in the States Timken is a major bearing source.

Can you post a picture of the bearing?

George
Here are two pics of the bearing.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0120.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	48771  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0121.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	48772  

ashnook is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 08-05-2012, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 8
View ashnook's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to ashnook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paine View Post
The pack rat was correct, I did have the old carriage bearings.

Mine are part #63777.

Your part is showing as "no longer available" on the http://www.searspartsdirect.com site.

These are unusual bearings in that they have a "V" groove on the outside which engages in the carriage rails.

Let me know if you want me to measure my old bearings.

Hi Dave, thanks. I have posted two pics of a good bearing, do they look like yours? The size is 1 5/16" (33mm) across and 1/2" (12mm) thick.

Brian
ashnook is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 08-05-2012, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 8
View ashnook's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to ashnook
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Those saws sell here, USA, for as little as $50.00. You might want to consider getting another just for parts, which I have done. If the motor goes you're done, but with a spare motor on hand you're back on track. I was also able to order those bearings a few years ago as I like to keep a few spares on hand, but I don't have any old ones...sorry. bill
Thanks Bill, if anyone knows of a Sears Craftsman 10" Radial Arm Saw Model Number 113.19770 circa 1978 for sale please let me know. I can arrange payment and delivery/collection within the USA. Thanks, Brian.
ashnook is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 08-05-2012, 08:33 AM
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 26,967
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Check Craig's List

I found this one for $50.00 locally near Detroit:
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/tls/3146232192.html

Shipping may be your biggest issue, but if you have a friend here in the USA, have them check near their location.

Here's the entire list of saws:
http://detroit.craigslist.org/search...inAsk=&maxAsk=

BTW those bearings are the same for all the saws I've seen and own. They are typical for the silding on the steel rods that support the saw motor and carriage.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 08-05-2012 at 08:36 AM.
woodnthings is online now  
post #10 of 17 Old 08-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Dave Paine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 7,222
View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnook View Post
Hi Dave, thanks. I have posted two pics of a good bearing, do they look like yours? The size is 1 5/16" (33mm) across and 1/2" (12mm) thick.

Brian
Checking my old bearing, they are
Outside dia. 1 5/16in
Dia at bottom of groove 1 3/32in
Inside dia 25/64in
Thickness 15/64in

If you want me to send these to you, you will not have enough posts to do a PM on the site, so send email to (Trying to avoid the spambots)
tyke at ptd (dot) net
Provide your name and address.

I am not recalling why I replaced these. It may have been due to a wobble in the carriage.
Well two bearings, so you get to pick the best one.
Dave Paine is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 08-06-2012, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 8
View ashnook's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to ashnook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paine View Post
Checking my old bearing, they are
Outside dia. 1 5/16in
Dia at bottom of groove 1 3/32in
Inside dia 25/64in
Thickness 15/64in

If you want me to send these to you, you will not have enough posts to do a PM on the site, so send email to (Trying to avoid the spambots)
tyke at ptd (dot) net
Provide your name and address.

I am not recalling why I replaced these. It may have been due to a wobble in the carriage.
Well two bearings, so you get to pick the best one.
Thanks, I am away at the moment so I will do some accurate measurements and get back to you later in the week.
ashnook is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 08-06-2012, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 8
View ashnook's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to ashnook
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
I found this one for $50.00 locally near Detroit:
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/tls/3146232192.html

Shipping may be your biggest issue, but if you have a friend here in the USA, have them check near their location.

Here's the entire list of saws:
http://detroit.craigslist.org/search...inAsk=&maxAsk=

BTW those bearings are the same for all the saws I've seen and own. They are typical for the silding on the steel rods that support the saw motor and carriage.
Thanks for this, I am away at the moment so IK will get onto it later this week, thanks again.
ashnook is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 08-08-2012, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 8
View ashnook's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to ashnook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paine View Post
Checking my old bearing, they are
Outside dia. 1 5/16in
Dia at bottom of groove 1 3/32in
Inside dia 25/64in
Thickness 15/64in

If you want me to send these to you, you will not have enough posts to do a PM on the site, so send email to (Trying to avoid the spambots)
tyke at ptd (dot) net
Provide your name and address.

I am not recalling why I replaced these. It may have been due to a wobble in the carriage.
Well two bearings, so you get to pick the best one.
They look perfect! I would like to relieve you of them Dave if you don't mind. You can find my details here,
http://members.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISA...userid=ashnook

email me and I will give you more infor if you need it. Also send me you address and I will get a local friend to send you some money to cover your costs.

Many thanks for your help.

Brian
ashnook is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 08-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Dave Paine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 7,222
View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
A quick note so you know I read your reply.

Woo-hoo, the pack rat strikes again.

I have only had these buried in a drawer since 1997, so almost like new.

Happy to be relieved of these.

I will mail in the next day or so. Tomorrow may be hectic day.
Dave Paine is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Paine For This Useful Post:
ashnook (08-09-2012)
post #15 of 17 Old 08-30-2012, 08:49 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Deep South
Posts: 14
View BBC3's Photo Album My Photos
Not to bud in as it sounds like its been resolved. I too was in the market for those. I got slick as I suspected that the bearings on the saws sears makes today were the same and I ordered some. They are identical. The problem is that I payed 50bucks for two. The bigger problem is that I was not so slick and just did not realize that my bearings had only come out of adjustment. They have a funky shaft on the bolt that has to be set correctly with threaded adjustments which I am assuming there are two allen head type pins in there on the left outside the bolt paths. I am guessin whatever was in those threaded holes is gone or just backed out some. But my bearings are 25years old and in poor condition so I started looking for giggles and found sets of 4 brand new on ebay for 15 bucks. They are apparently the same for many models, if not all with the concave grove style. I did also order two rails though as mine are badly rusted. Ironically the metal rails ARE available at sears and only 12 bucks each.. So now I get all four bearings and rails for less than 50 bucks. But for all future folks wondering about these, just ebay search the RAS Carriage bearings or look on ebay.
BBC3 is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 08-31-2012, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 8
View ashnook's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to ashnook
I also looked on ebay did not find anything that looked like mine - poor eyesight? Thanks to my new friend Dave Paine I am now happily up and running again, also took the opportunity to do a good clean-up and re-align of the set-up. Now works like new. Thanks again to Dave and this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC3 View Post
Not to bud in as it sounds like its been resolved. I too was in the market for those. I got slick as I suspected that the bearings on the saws sears makes today were the same and I ordered some. They are identical. The problem is that I payed 50bucks for two. The bigger problem is that I was not so slick and just did not realize that my bearings had only come out of adjustment. They have a funky shaft on the bolt that has to be set correctly with threaded adjustments which I am assuming there are two allen head type pins in there on the left outside the bolt paths. I am guessin whatever was in those threaded holes is gone or just backed out some. But my bearings are 25years old and in poor condition so I started looking for giggles and found sets of 4 brand new on ebay for 15 bucks. They are apparently the same for many models, if not all with the concave grove style. I did also order two rails though as mine are badly rusted. Ironically the metal rails ARE available at sears and only 12 bucks each.. So now I get all four bearings and rails for less than 50 bucks. But for all future folks wondering about these, just ebay search the RAS Carriage bearings or look on ebay.
ashnook is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 09-01-2012, 08:24 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Deep South
Posts: 14
View BBC3's Photo Album My Photos
And just for future onlookers searching... I think I could not find them either at first and the key was to used the term "Carriage Bearing", which I did not do initially...



CRAFTSMAN/RIDG​ID RADIAL ARM SAW CARRIAGE BEARINGS

Returns: Accepted within 14 days



Buy It Now
$15.00
Time left: Time left: 21d 2h 45m
BBC3 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Craftsman 10 inch radial arm saw accessories Charley Humphries Woodturning 13 09-14-2019 07:45 PM
Sears Craftsman 10 inch radial saw TheRecklessOne Power Tools & Machinery 80 07-21-2013 09:46 AM
No replacement for Delta Radial Saw part walsh General Woodworking Discussion 12 08-16-2011 05:19 PM
First Post/ Craftsman Lathe Part needed Powers Woodturning 6 05-06-2011 11:29 PM
Radial arm saw replacement part gustbendurango Power Tools & Machinery 0 05-13-2009 06:12 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome