Craftman Radial Arm Saw 10 in - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 05-17-2010, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

View TaporSnap's Photo Album My Photos
Craftman Radial Arm Saw 10 in

I am in the process of rebuilding mine and I am having difficulty with the blade raising and lowering mechanism. Can anyone tell me which direction the teeth of the gears should be facing on the vertical column shaft.

Or is anyone has pictures of their assembly that would be great. These parts do not seem to be addressed in the owner's manual . Perhaps I took it further apart than I should have.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by TaporSnap; 05-17-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-17-2010, 04:08 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
WELCOME!

Are you aware that early 1970 to mid 1970 Craftsman RAS are worth about $100 at

http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/

There are some ugly problems with those models. I think that most spare parts have been recalled from stock so repairs are very difficult.

What is happening with the recall is that Emerson Electric is buying the liability posed by the saw due to design (?) issues and jurors that just fell off the turnip truck. (I know of a user that cut his fingers off his left hand between the knuckles while making the initial scoring cut in the table. He had just purchased the saw from Sears in '72 or '73.)

To answer your question, When you turn the crank under the table clockwise, the arm of the saw should rise. (IIRC it is 8 turns per inch)

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.

Last edited by rrich; 05-17-2010 at 04:12 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-17-2010, 09:14 PM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
TaporSnap,

Some people love RAS's, others hate them. I am in the former catagory. I think they are great for crosscutting but I strongly recommend against any rip operations with them.

The web site that Rich mentions also may give you the option of getting a new (and improved) guard and table assembly for your saw for free. Some of the older model saws Emerson suggests junking for $100 but many are eligible for the free recall kit.

If you look here: http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...20080114x00001 and plug in the model number of your RAS, you will find parts diagrams and prices. the model number should be on the rear of the saw where it is really hard to see.

A suggestion: A RAS should be equipped with a blade with a negative hook angle. this prevents the blade from digging in and coming at you. An example of a blade like this would be a Freud LU91 that you can see here: http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...20080114x00001 There are also similar blades available from other manufacturers and vendors. I use the Freud and am very pleased with the quality of the crosscut it makes.

Good luck,
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-18-2010, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

View TaporSnap's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for all the safety tips. I have used this saw for years. Recently it was taken apart and shipped cross-country,
I need to know how the 2 gears go together for the raising mechanism.

The first gear is attached to the shaft than you turn below the table to raise and lower the blade.

The second gear is attached to the vertical screw shaft in the column.

My question is whether this second verticle gear sits below or above the horizontal gear inside the column. Gear teeth facing up or gear teeth facing down?
post #5 of 6 Old 05-18-2010, 10:16 AM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
Does the Sears web site have your parts diagram?

Bill
post #6 of 6 Old 05-18-2010, 06:53 PM

View jfin's Photo Album My Photos
Lightbulb

I have the parts diagrams for a model 113.23100, and the vertical elevation shaft (contained within the column), at its bottom end, attaches to the bevel gear with the gear teeth pointing up, and apparently is secured to the shaft with a woodruff key. Let me know if more info is useful. JIM

Tags
craftsman', radial arm saw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode