converting a planer to helical head? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 09-27-2014, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

View Rodney R's Photo Album My Photos
converting a planer to helical head?

Any reason why it shouldn't be done? I am looking at buying a slightly used PM 209, and installing a helical head in it. I can do that for about the same cost as a new straight blade 209. I'm getting tired of wearing earmuffs each time I run the planer, and all of my lumber is rough cut and it needs 1/4-1/2 taken off, so the planer gets used a lot when its needed.

Rodney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-27-2014, 05:28 PM

View Paarker's Photo Album My Photos
I put a Byrd head in my 735 with out a problem but I still wear ear muffs when using it.

Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino
post #3 of 10 Old 09-27-2014, 05:31 PM
DRTYBYRD

View abetrman's Photo Album My Photos
Rodney -

While I have not done what you are proposing, I think you will find that the main reason of not switching them has been related to the cost.

If you have the resources to do it in an economical way, by all means I think you can go for it.

My .02

Johnny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-27-2014, 07:26 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
None at all, but I wouldn't go thinking you can go without ear muffs. The helical head reduces noise, but it only takes it from a jet engine to a jack hammer

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
The Following User Says Thank You to epicfail48 For This Useful Post:
abetrman (09-27-2014)
post #5 of 10 Old 09-28-2014, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Ok, maybe I should ask if one helical head is quieter than the next. My little Dewalt was not nearly big enough for some stuff I had done last summer, so I took some to a lumber place last year, and I was standing about 10ft from their planer carrying on a conversation with another guy while they did my boards. The workers had earplugs, and a I didn't. Heck a guy could've listened to the radio while planing.... And they were not taking baby cuts either. I think in 3 passes they had removed at least 3/16 inch.

Rodney
post #6 of 10 Old 09-28-2014, 09:27 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Here's how to do it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBwmzacZFSs

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 10 Old 09-28-2014, 10:04 AM

View verdesardog's Photo Album My Photos
I put a shilex head on my new 735 after wearing out one set of OEM blades in about an hour of use. It's a night and day difference in performance! Sure it cost a bit to do but was worth every penny to me.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-28-2014, 01:27 PM
Wood-a-holic

View wericha's Photo Album My Photos
The noise generated by the 735 is primarily from the motor, its the nature of that motor. A helical head will reduce the machine noise to some degree, but a 735 will always be loud.

Large planers will be quieter due to a number of factors, and a helical head will definitely lessen noise. It is also a far superior cutting system compared to traditional straight cutter heads. Putting a helical head on a PM209 will more than pay for itself in the long run.

The tools don't make the craftsman......a true statement often overused by individuals who haven't a clue about quality tools or true craftsmanship.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-29-2014, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Is there anything else that a guy has to get to do a conversion - belts, bearings?????

Rodney
post #10 of 10 Old 09-29-2014, 11:52 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney R View Post
Is there anything else that a guy has to get to do a conversion - belts, bearings?????

Rodney
Nothing ive ever heard of. To my knowledge the helical heads actually reuse the bearings, pulleys, etc from the original head

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode