View Poll Results: Makita 2400 compressor
just the thing for a hobby shop 0 0%
too much for a hobby shop 0 0%
not enough for a hobby shop 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 7 Old 11-04-2015, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

View mhammig's Photo Album My Photos
compressors

I am expanding my shop from 16x18 to 24x18 and I intend to install a compressed air system, mainly for blowing stuff but also to use a vacuum chuck on the lathe. I had a small Porter Cable pancake which was unsatisfactory for the vacuum. Now I'm looking for a larger machine. I'm not sure what to shop for. Sizes and prices are all over the map and comparisons don't make sense as the price for a given hp and gallon size can be vastly different for the same sizes. What am I missing? I read a review of the Makita model 2400 which sounds good. Is it?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-04-2015, 09:12 PM
Tool Fanactic

View WarnerConstInc.'s Photo Album My Photos
Its my job site compressor, been treated like crap, never changed the oil. I have a couple 80 gallon Wayne's to run the shop stuff.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-04-2015, 10:13 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I think I have 4 compresssors...

A pancake 1 1/2 HP Porter Cable, a home built 1 Hp with a Wards twin cylinder on a 2 gal tank, a 5 HP 80 gallon, and a 1 HP Harbor Fright on a 8 gal tank, and then there's a 5 HP 60 gallon 3 cylinder from the Farm and Home store so far not wired up....

Compressors are "rated" 2 ways, by HP and by CFM delivered. So it depends on what your tools require in CFMs to get one that will work for your situation. What is your lathe chuck requirement?

There are oil less types that make such a racket you can hardly stand to be in the same room with and there are piston types that are reasonably quiet. So how important is the noise factor?

There is another variable, that is power to supply the motor. a Compressor with a 3 HP motor will require 220 V supply. Do you have 220 V access?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-05-2015, 12:05 AM

View Chamfer's Photo Album My Photos
If you have 220v I'd shop for a used 60-80 gallon on CL. Around here quality brands can be had for $3-400. If you only have 110v I'd go with a 21-30 gallon. Oiled is better and likely what you'll find in those types, but not for the noise the longevity.

Pancakes and smaller compressors are for jobsite use. Wouldn't waste your time with those.

I have a 3 gallon 1.5hp for jobsites for strictly shooting various sizes of nails. I have a 2hp 30 gallon for the shop which does everything I need it to.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-05-2015, 12:20 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I think that compressor would be alright for jobsite use but for your shop it's too small. Also I'm sure it's noisy too. You need to get a compressor that has a separate motor from the pump ran by a belt.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-05-2015, 12:27 AM
Tool Fanactic

View WarnerConstInc.'s Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I think that compressor would be alright for jobsite use but for your shop it's too small. Also I'm sure it's noisy too. You need to get a compressor that has a separate motor from the pump ran by a belt.
Its very quiet, cast pump, low rpm motor, oil lube.

Its a great compressor, just not enough tank volume.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-05-2015, 02:31 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Seems a little small for my tastes. 4 gallons isn't enough tank size for general shop use, and I have serious doubts that the pump is actually puts out the 4cfm at 90 it claims, although that's true of any compressor I'd see.

I'd recommend looking for a belt-driven compressor with a tank in the 25-30 gallon range, preferably with a 1.5 or 2 hp motor. The belt-driven compressors I've used are generally quiter than any direct-drive, oilless or no, and the pumps driven by belt seem to put out more air, and a 25 gallon tank is enough for most shop tasks, but still moveable if needed. That, and its always better to get a bigger air compressor than you think you need, because you'll quickly go from "just blowing stuff around" to "this blasted pancake won't power my impact gun"

Oh, and as far as the vacuum needs go, have you considered going for a cheap rotary vane pump, instead of what I'm assuming is a venturi pump? You can get a 1/3 hp pump off eBay for about the same price as a venturi pump, bout $30 bucks, and the pump will pull more air quiter

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode