• 3 Post By firehawkmph
  • 2 Post By subroc
  • 1 Post By FrankC
  • 1 Post By NoThankyou
  • 1 Post By LilysDad

post #1 of 13 Old 02-11-2020, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

View LilysDad's Photo Album My Photos
Compound Saw with Laser

I just purchased my second compound saw. Both of them had a laser guide line that did not line up with the edge of the blade. Is this a common problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-11-2020, 10:53 AM

View RickKr's Photo Album My Photos
Adjust the Laser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilysDad View Post
I just purchased my second compound saw. Both of them had a laser guide line that did not line up with the edge of the blade. Is this a common problem?
Depending on the brand/models, you may be able to adjust the laser to be better aligned. I've not had to do this, but did find this article. The article doesn't go into exactly how to adjust the laser itself, just a general process, so it is kind of lame that way. You would have to figure out how the laser is adjusted on your saws in order to do it. I have not found anything on this for my DeWalt 790 (but there has to be a way), but it is lined up well enough, so it is not an issue for me.

Is it lined up parallel? Can you use a mental shift, if you cannot or are unwilling to adjust it?

Rick

"Quality is like buying oats. If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes a bit cheaper."
post #3 of 13 Old 02-11-2020, 11:12 AM

View kiwi_outdoors's Photo Album My Photos
my Bosch seems to line up OK; by how much is your laser misaligned?

Retired engineer-bureaucrat in Oakland, CA. Been working with wood since the 1960's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 02-11-2020, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Probably the width of the kerf.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-12-2020, 10:41 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Lasers are a gimmick. Don't waste your time on it. Learn to look at the teeth on the blade to line up your cut.
Mike Hawkins
sweensdv, Tony B and NoThankyou like this.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-12-2020, 11:48 AM

well, its a left hand vs right had issue. My laser line is on the left side of the blade (laser disc is under the bolt-head), so the waste side of the cut is to my right. Not too convenient for my saw location, but I manage.

Retired engineer-bureaucrat in Oakland, CA. Been working with wood since the 1960's.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-12-2020, 12:10 PM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
I expect lasers can be good or bad. I have a Dewalt DWS782. It did not have a laser. I bought one of the add on ones (under the blade nut) from Amazon. It worked well enough. When the battery died, I didn't replace the battery.

When cutting to a line or mark I am more than satisfied looking through the guard and along the blade. If I need repeatable cuts I will use a stop or stack the material.

Even with a laser you still have to answer the same question when you make a cut. Am I cutting the line/mark or am I cutting to the right or the left of the line. Only you know how good a mark or line you make. Maybe a laser speeds the process up. I am satisfied sighting along the blade.
sweensdv and FrankC like this.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-12-2020, 03:15 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
My Makita came with a laser, tried it and decided I could get along just as well without it and have never missed it. Lasers have their uses when laying a room out and you need a straight line for reference, however I feel they are basically a gimmick on miter saws and drill presses.
sweensdv likes this.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #9 of 13 Old 02-12-2020, 09:55 PM

To call the miter saw laser a "Gimmick" is unfair. "Of Limited Utility" is more like it.

I like my laser and use it for what it is. Its helpful for much of my work, and does seem to line up quite well with the left edge of my miter saw's blade.

I had forgotten that my drill press has a laser - thanks for the reminder.

post #10 of 13 Old 02-12-2020, 11:42 PM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
If you are building kitchen cabinets or furniture for inside the house or heirlooms, most lasers on miter saws are border line useless. If you are using your miter saw in construction, the laser may be of limited value.

As an alternative to the laser let me offer a suggestion.

First understand your saw blade. Almost all blades used in miter saws have some ATB or Alternating Top Bevel teeth. All saw blades have to have something called, set. Set is just a fancy name for saying that the teeth protrude past the width of the blade disk. If there were no set of the teeth, the blade wouldn't cut very well if at all. Typically the set is about 0.016 inch or 1/64. The exact measurement of the set is unimportant but knowing that it is there is important.

OK, Enough about saw blades. When precision cutting with a miter saw, draw a fine line where the cut is to be. I personally prefer using a Pentel 0.5 MM pencil with HB lead. Put the wood on the miter saw, assuming that the right side is the off fall. So left hand on the wood, right hand on the control handle but don't turn the saw on. Bring the saw blade down and align the line on the wood with a tooth of the saw blade. You will note that every other tooth is protruding to the left. Use one of the left protruding teeth and decide do you want to leave the line or take the line in the cut. When the cut is aligned to your liking raise the miter saw, start the blade spinning and make your cut.

BTW - When blade mounted lasers first came out, I bought one for my DW708. ($70) I used it for about a month and then put in the drawer. A couple of years later I gave it away to a friend. Gratis.
LilysDad likes this.

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon
post #11 of 13 Old 02-18-2020, 03:10 AM

View Lennyzx11's Photo Album My Photos
My Milwaukee cordless compound miter saw uses a bright light that shines down on each side of the blade. The shadow created shows the exact position of the blade as a dark line and width of the blade to include teeth offsets.
I can be pretty precise with where and what side of the line I want to cut.

https://toolguyd.com/which-brands-mi...em-came-first/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #12 of 13 Old 02-18-2020, 09:24 AM

View RickKr's Photo Album My Photos
Creates a Shadow - Bingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennyzx11 View Post
...snip... The shadow created shows the exact position of the blade as a dark line and width of the blade to include teeth offsets. ...snip...
That comment flipped a switch. That is what my DW does. The light shines and creates a shadow of where the blade is. Duh! Be that as it may, I do not use it when making cuts I want to be more precise and consistent.

I use an adjustable stop from one of my Incra tools, the 1000SE miter gauge. The stop is called "Shop Stop". I clamp the miter gauge fence to the miter saw fence and use the find adjustment on the stop. It needed a longer anyway and this one is very handy.

I've modified that fine adjustment with a micrometer barrel, as shown in the photos below. Overkill, for sure, but the one that came on it was frustrating to use, 1/4-28 threads. It was most frustrating when trying to move forward or backward, being trial and error. With the micrometer, there is no guesswork and the cuts come out as perfect as I'll ever need, but mostly I like the ease of adjustment and consistency of the cuts.

I need to come up with a better way of clamping the Incra fence to the miter saw, using the "T" track on the back side. I've only used it this way once so far but I know I'll be using it a lot more. I think all it will take is drill holes in the saw fence at the right height.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mitutoyo Mic On Incra Shop Stop 01-23-20 640.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	384899  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Micrometer Stop on Miter Saw 01-26-20.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	384901  

"Quality is like buying oats. If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes a bit cheaper."
post #13 of 13 Old 02-21-2020, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your answers. I know how to align the teeth to a mark because I had to. I thought maybe I was missing something using the laser, but I see now such was not the case.
firehawkmph likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode