Comparing 2 brad nailers - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 08-08-2008, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

View autoBrad's Photo Album My Photos
Comparing 2 brad nailers

Hey Guys/Gals,

I am looking to buy an 18 guage brad nailer and are comparing these two.. Porter cable BN125AR and BN200B. Now the difference that I see between the two is this.. The Bn200b is the newer model and therefore oil less you don't have to oil, it shoots brads 5/8 to 2 inches.. Where as the bn125ar takes oil and shoots 5/8 to 1 1/4th.

Now, at first I was like i'll get the newer bn200b one... Because it shoots brads up to 2 inches long.. Now, then I got to thinking, if I am shooting a 2 inch brad, should I really be using a 16 guage finish nailer instead??? I mean at 2 inches long would it be better to have the 16 guage?? Also there's price, I can get a bn125ar reconditioned for about 40 bucks .. Where as the BN200B runs about 110 bucks.. I realize the bn200b still seems reasonable but.. like everyone I still have other tools to buy haha...

I mean, if the brad nailers just recently started going to 2 inches.. what were people using before this started happening?? 16 guage finish nailers??

let me know what you guys think..

Thanks in Advance..

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-11-2008, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

I ended up just buying the older model Porter cable BN125AR.. Wasn't worth the price difference to me to go to a longer brad, figured I'd just use a finish nailer at that point.. which I will buy soon.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-11-2008, 09:59 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Brad,
I bought the 125 model recond. at a tool show for 39.00. It works great. I don't see a need to shoot 2" brads. If I need that length I go to a 15 or 16 gauge gun, depending on what I am trying to fasten. I think you will like that gun, it works well.
Mike Hawkins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-11-2008, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Cool.. yeah, I bought it reconditioned also.. I got it at a woodcraft store for 49.99.. a little high but I didn't have to pay shipping so.. I seen it online for like 39.99.. but then I'd have to pay shipping.. My neighbor is a finish carpenter for a living and has that same gun, he bought it new 7 years ago and uses it almost everyday and said he loves it, reliable, etc...

Yeah, I am going to use 15 or 16 guage for the 2 inch stuff..

Thanks for the reply.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-11-2008, 11:52 AM

View mdlbldrmatt135's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to mdlbldrmatt135 Send a message via Yahoo to mdlbldrmatt135 Send a message via Skype™ to mdlbldrmatt135
18ga. brads 2" long are great in softwoods.. but HELL in hardwoods I have a HF one and it shoots up to the 2" ones....
post #6 of 7 Old 08-13-2008, 10:43 PM

View Hacksaw's Photo Album My Photos
The sheer number of reconditioned porter cable brad nailers on the market really makes me question the quality. I recently spent a great deal of time researching online reviews and opinions on brad nailers before finally going with a Ridgid brad nailer. Around $100 brand new, with a lifetime warranty, oil free = maintenance free, nice case, very ergonomically balanced, etc. I've been very happy with it.

Of course a recon PC for $40-$60 is significantly cheaper, I again worry about why there are so many recons available.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-14-2008, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Well, you are right, there are many reconditioned ones on the market.. but.. How many do you think were originally manufactured?? Vs. How many rigid, I bet the number is staggering.. Everyone I have spoken to that owned the PC nailers has loved them.. I read one review that someone had trouble with Jamming... but like I said, of the number manufactured and on the market.. bound to have some, even if the defect rate is low.. Also, the only ones I see recon as available are the 18 guage brad nailers so... that's probably the most popular gun.. I mean, I just ordered a new 16 guage fn205b.. those are hard to find reconditioned.. Plus, I am not using it daily, etc.. So, it's light use compared to the duty cycle it was built for... I'm not knocking the Rigid, i'm sure it's a quality unit...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode