Circular Saw Mystery - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 05-17-2017, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Birding Psychosis

View Thorn495's Photo Album My Photos
Circular Saw Mystery

I just got a new circular saw -- my first "worm drive." I noticed that the blade spins in the opposite direction (CW) compared to the direct drive/sidewinder (CCW) variety I've owned in the past. What's the reasoning behind that? Any pros or cons to which way the blade spins when making a cut?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-17-2017, 10:07 PM

View Larry Schweitzer's Photo Album My Photos
It always has to turn so the blade is pushing against the direction of feed. Otherwise it would be climb cutting and instantly go out of control. Once you get used to a worm drive you'll never want to go back.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-17-2017, 10:12 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Take a look at the blade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn495 View Post
I just got a new circular saw -- my first "worm drive." I noticed that the blade spins in the opposite direction (CW) compared to the direct drive/sidewinder (CCW) variety I've owned in the past. What's the reasoning behind that? Any pros or cons to which way the blade spins when making a cut?
The blade should spin in the direction the saw is fed.... unless the previous owner has it on reversed. The teeth will enter underneath the work and spin upwards pressing the work against the bottom of the saw's base, no matter which type of saw you are using, a sidewinder or a worm drive! :smile3:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-17-2017, 11:05 PM

View asevereid's Photo Album My Photos
Congrats on the worm drive!
I've got three, and will never go back to a sidewinder, or blade - right saw (minus the track saw) ever again.

Sent from my Gravity 5 LTE using Tapatalk
post #5 of 7 Old 05-17-2017, 11:28 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If you compare, the worm drive saw the blade is on the opposite side of the motor as your circular saw. Maybe the worm drive is for the southpaw.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-18-2017, 01:22 AM

View sunnybob's Photo Album My Photos
You need to make sure you have the blade fitted the correct way round for the type of saw, otherwise the teeth will hit the wood backwards and thats big trouble.

maintenance on worm drive saws is higher. They need regular oil changes in order to last the distance.

Hypoid drive seems to be the best of both worlds, no maintenance but has the power of the worm drive.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-18-2017, 03:55 AM

View Jig_saw's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn495 View Post
CW or CCW depends upon WHICH SIDE you are watching the blade from. Seen from the same side (either left or right) both worm drive and sidewinder saws have the SAME direction of rotation. Blade always pushes under the front part of the saw base while cutting in either case.

Keep thy axe sharp.

Last edited by Jig_saw; 05-18-2017 at 03:59 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode