Central Machinery Jointer - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Duane Bledsoe

post #1 of 15 Old 12-23-2012, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

View chaplaindoug's Photo Album My Photos
Central Machinery Jointer

I found a new-looking 7" Central Machinery jointer on craigslist for $200. Is this brand good equipment? Is the price good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-23-2012, 10:51 PM

View vinnypatternmaker's Photo Album My Photos
Hi!
First of all, the blade is 7" long...odd size, probably difficult to get replacements.
Secondly, we own(ed) a few Central Machinery tools, and when even small problems arise, their customer "service" is well...lackluster, spelled S H * T T Y.
Price should be more like $90.00.
This is not as true with Grizzly; better, sometimes great stuff...however, beware while treading in Asia, or anywhere without a road map!
Best,
Marena and Vinny
post #3 of 15 Old 12-23-2012, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

View chaplaindoug's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the heads up. I have been to Harbor Freight and saw the quality of their stuff. Most anything from there (except maybe gloves) would be an unwise purchase.
The Following User Says Thank You to chaplaindoug For This Useful Post:
vinnypatternmaker (12-24-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 12-24-2012, 08:50 AM

View Duane Bledsoe's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaplaindoug View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I have been to Harbor Freight and saw the quality of their stuff. Most anything from there (except maybe gloves) would be an unwise purchase.
Power tool wise, I agree, but there are even exceptions to this such as the multi tool they have. Also, there are other things that work fantastically like their air compressors and nail guns.
mjadams61 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Duane Bledsoe For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 15 Old 12-24-2012, 10:03 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If the 7" blades are all that is putting you off, you could get a set of 8" blades and cut them to 7". If that size jointer fits your needs $200.00 isn't bad, not great. I saw a display model at the store they were trying to get rid of marked down to $250.00. If I didn't need a 8" or greater jointer I would have bought it.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-24-2012, 10:30 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Or you could use 6 1/8" blades

You would not have the full capacity, but a doable fix with no machinnig/cutting.
A jointer is a pretty simple machine, not a lot to wear out or go wrong in my opinion.
A motor, arbor with 2 bearings and tables that slide in machined ways. I've restored a few including a Chinese model similar to that one. I replaced the 2 bearings for about $15.00, and a new belt for around $5.00. It needed the blades sharpened ... just some of my time, and it woks awesome. I'd offer $150.00, let him counter at $175.00 or you can hold out at the $150.00 price. That's about right in my opinion., either way.

It would have to have a 1 HP motor also. How old is it? I don't recall when they made a 7" model.

http://www.holbren.com/jointer-planer-knives/

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 12-24-2012 at 11:46 AM.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-24-2012, 01:14 PM
TheShadeTreeWW

View smokey1945's Photo Album My Photos
I think it was Global Tooling that I bought 7" blades from. I Emailed them and the cut them with no problem. Seems like it was in the $20's including shipping. Good service and they said they could cut to any length.

It took a lot of shims to get it right on the money. But when I got through it was dead on and as good as a $400 jointer. Seems like I bought it for $175.

TheShadeTreeWW

Political Correctness:
A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
The Following User Says Thank You to smokey1945 For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 15 Old 09-15-2017, 05:24 PM

View 10fingers10toes's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey1945 View Post
I think it was Global Tooling that I bought 7" blades from. I Emailed them and the cut them with no problem. Seems like it was in the $20's including shipping. Good service and they said they could cut to any length.
Thanks for the lead on where to get the 7" blades (custom made). I just called Global Tooling and spoke to a guy named John. He was super helpful to walk me through measuring the blades on the Central Machinery 7" Jointer.

For future reference, here is their contact info and what I ended up ordering. I hope this helps someone else who is on the hunt for this as well.

Global Tooling & Supply HQ
1203 Ocean St.
Eugene, OR 97402
Phone: 541-302-1366
Web: GlobalTooling.com

High Speed Steel Jointer Blades
Part: SVB6625125 (stock product that is 1/8 x 5/8)
Cut down in length to: 7 1/16
Part costs: 13.01 + (3 cuts * 2.50) = 20.51
Total costs: 20.51 + 8.15 = 28.56

Note: they offer carbide blades as well

I will let you know when I get the blades how they turn out.
post #9 of 15 Old 09-21-2017, 11:56 AM

The jointer blades arrived from Global Tooling & Supply.

Actually, the product number as originally noted above was mis-quoted to me. Turns out it was actually SVB8625125 which I am guessing means it was the 8 inch version. With the change of items, the total with shipping came to $34.01.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-04-2018, 01:55 PM

View rkestes's Photo Album My Photos
Hi, Wondering how that inexpensive Jointer worked out for you. I am looking at one right now myself, here in Michigan.
post #11 of 15 Old 12-05-2018, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkestes View Post
Hi, Wondering how that inexpensive Jointer worked out for you. I am looking at one right now myself, here in Michigan.
Almost as soon as I got the new blades set in mine, my motor stopped working. I am fairly persistent and handy with such things so I tried the obvious troubleshooting for 120v single-phase electric motors and was unable to resurrect it. I was able to acquire an old pool pump for free, it fit the bill nicely (even upped the HP a bit) but it did not have a mounting bracket. I created a custom carriage from some plywood and bolted into place.

I got my HF jointer second hand so I am not certain how much [ab]use mine received before I purchased it. I have no idea if the motor issue I experienced is common or not or if it happens after 1000s of hours of use. Mine went out and it was easy enough for me to install a replacement motor.

After replacing the blades and motor, it works like a champ. The only minor inconvenience I see is the fence is kind of fiddly to get square but once set, it holds. My next upgrade will be to fashion a hose port for my 4" dust collection line.

Although I am blessed to have cobbled together a fairly complete woodworking shop, I did so on a tight budget and with not a lot of time (young, large family). So, that means it was slow going to acquire all the equipment needed. Without patience and some late nights, I would never have been able to pull together a well-supplied wood shop.

I paid $100 for my jointer from a Craigslist ad. I put $34 into new blades. There is NO WAY I could find a full-sized jointer for $130 in the mid-Atlantic region of the US. If you are in a similar situation to me, I would strongly endorse the HF jointer. It has made many a project possible for me that I otherwise would have been unable to do well.
post #12 of 15 Old 05-15-2020, 07:04 PM

View woodworker01's Photo Album My Photos
About 16 years ago in AZ, I bought a Central Machinery rabbiting jointer from HF, the out-feed table chipped just past the blades causing a small bump on the edge of the board (I pulled the fence forward of that spot). Eventually taking that jointer back and got a new one, of course when I moved to Indiana, started using it, that one got a chip in the out-feed about the same place. The Harbor Freight here doesn't have it. It can only take 1/32 to 1/16 off to straighten the edge of a board, making a rabbit;best to just use the table saw. The jointer takes some time to adjust it, use a square to get the fence to 90 degrees etc., needs a longer knob to tighten the fence. Maybe they could strengthen the areas that are thin by the blades. Otherwise; it is a good jointer.
post #13 of 15 Old 05-16-2020, 03:49 AM
mike44

View kwoodhands's Photo Album My Photos
Get a 3" PVC toilet flange and a hose clamp, 4" hose fits perfect. This helps with your dust collection.
mike
post #14 of 15 Old 05-17-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Bledsoe View Post
Power tool wise, I agree, but there are even exceptions to this such as the multi tool they have. Also, there are other things that work fantastically like their air compressors and nail guns.
HF has Bauer tools and other new names, I recently bought a Bauer Random Orbital sander, it seems to be a very tool. I have many tools from HF, Chicago Electric saws-all(reciprocating saw) with rotating handle, corded(hammer drill) & cordless drills (3/8 chuck). A dedicated mortiser), Pneumatic, 18ga nailer/ stapler, 23ga pin, face shield, 90amp MiG & welding shield (works to see eclipse). Many bar clamps (never have too many). 50" edge guide, Multi-tool. I made a number projects with wood, Adirondack chair(s), 12 drawer DVD cabinet etc.,many paper-towel holders.
post #15 of 15 Old 05-17-2020, 11:14 AM

You spell your name correctly (Duane).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode