Cant set bevel to zero -- Craftsman 10" 315.218060 portable table saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tgaryet

post #1 of 7 Old 01-27-2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

View tgaryet's Photo Album My Photos
Cant set bevel to zero -- Craftsman 10" 315.218060 portable table saw

I cannot set the bevel to zero on my craftsman 10" portable table saw.

Both the bevel angle gauge on the front and my square indicate a few degree offset from 0.

I've tried to adjust the zero stop but it only adjusts from a minimum of about 2 degrees to 6.

I've looked at the mechanics of the rotation and it looks to me that the pivot bracket is hitting the bottom of the table instead of the zero adjust cam. I actually verified this by removing the zero adjust cam and the saw will still not pivot to zero.

This would mean:
1) The pivot bracket (part 59) is bent or twisted;
2) The motor bracket (part 93) is bent;
3) I'm missing a point of adjustment somewhere that changes the angle of the saw within the pivot bracket - like a gross adjustment.

My questions:
1) has anyone else had a similar issue and if so, how did you fix it;
2) I'm considering the wisdom of enlarging two of the three holes in the motor bracket so I twist the motor on the bracket.

Thanks for your input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-27-2019, 12:42 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
You are on the right track ...

Find the interference point and resolve that by seeing where parts bump into each other. If the saw was pre-owned and or dropped that would explain this issue. I had a contractor saw where the arbor pulley was put on backwards and would hit the under side of the table before it would go to 45 degrees. Lowering the blade height may resolve your issue ... I donno?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
tgaryet (01-29-2019)
post #3 of 7 Old 01-28-2019, 01:40 PM

View guitarmaker's Photo Album My Photos
hey there....
I just made a post asking the same question. My Craftsman 12 tilting head bandsaw won't go to zero/straight up and down.
I can see where there are a couple of teeth on the gear that adjusts the bevel but the crank won't get me there. If you know what I mean.

I was wondering if you solved this issue with your saw? Everything looks good otherwise. No vibrations etc..

I'm hoping for some help before I try and tear this apart.

thx
guitarmaker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-29-2019, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

I'm updating with a drawing from the service manual that I've annotated. I added the plane of the table in yellow and highlighted the pivot bracket (59) and motor mount(93). The pivot bracket rotates within the two circular brackets (52), which are attached to the bottom of the table. The saw bevel can't get to zero because the pivot bracket hits the bottom of the table. The blue line shows this interference.

While it is difficult to imagine, it seems either the pivot bracket or the motor mount is somehow twisted or bent, and there doesn't seem a way to adjust this out.

I'm interested in comments from someone that has fixed this issue before, or that has enough experience on table saws in general to make a recommendation on my particular ideas on how to fix it. Also trying to document this for someone in the future.

1) Add some spacer washers between the circular brackets (52) to give more clearance between the table surface and the edge of the pivot bracket. Risks: if the washer thickness isn't precise enough it will cause a weird alignment issue when the bevel isn't zero. (If the saw could rotate to 90 degree bevel it wouldn't be horizontal to the table - a compound angle error?)

2) Drill out two of the three holes in the motor bracket where the motor attaches. This would allow the motor to rotate with respect to the bracket. Risks: The motor could slip in the bracket over time. Mitigate this by using vibration proof washers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 9.48.32 AM.png
Views:	44
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	371051  

Attached Images

post #5 of 7 Old 01-29-2019, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

First, make sure that the saw blade is actually beveled (use a square) and that it isn't the zero indicator that needs adjusting. Second, find the zero stop adjustment. On my saw, it is a cam attached to a screw. If you look at the diagram I posted just now, it is part 73. The zero and 45 stop adjustment screws are just above the bevel track.
NoThankyou likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-29-2019, 02:21 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
I doubt Craftsman sold a saw that could not be tuned to 90 degrees, so something has happened to your saw and what ever it is needs to be fixed instead of altering how the saw was built.

The other thread about the tilting band saw is a great example of this, simply by finding that one little set screw remedied his problem without reinventing the wheel.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #7 of 7 Old 01-19-2020, 08:53 PM

View pfgoergen's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgaryet View Post
I cannot set the bevel to zero on my craftsman 10" portable table saw.

Both the bevel angle gauge on the front and my square indicate a few degree offset from 0.

I've tried to adjust the zero stop but it only adjusts from a minimum of about 2 degrees to 6.

I've looked at the mechanics of the rotation and it looks to me that the pivot bracket is hitting the bottom of the table instead of the zero adjust cam. I actually verified this by removing the zero adjust cam and the saw will still not pivot to zero.

This would mean:
1) The pivot bracket (part 59) is bent or twisted;
2) The motor bracket (part 93) is bent;
3) I'm missing a point of adjustment somewhere that changes the angle of the saw within the pivot bracket - like a gross adjustment.

My questions:
1) has anyone else had a similar issue and if so, how did you fix it;
2) I'm considering the wisdom of enlarging two of the three holes in the motor bracket so I twist the motor on the bracket.

Thanks for your input
I have a 315.218280 and I'm having I believe the same problem. After setting the blade to vertical, I cannot adjust the bevel indicator to less than 1 degree.

Were you able to resolve the problem?

Pete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode