Can't center blade on wheels of old Delta 28-185 Band Saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 04-25-2017, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

View cobrajockey's Photo Album My Photos
Exclamation Can't center blade on wheels of old Delta 28-185 Band Saw

I have an old old early 90's Delta 28-185 Bench Bad Saw it picked up used some 10 years ago to do light cutting work on RC aircraft and boat Ply and Balsa. Just replaced the probably original wheel "Tires" with blue "Poly" tires and noticed that no matter how much adjusting of the top wheel "angle" adjuster, I can't get the blade to ride in the center of the two wheels.

Consistantly the blade rides on the back 1/3 of the top wheel and front 1/3 of the lower wheel. It's like the two wheel aren't on the same center line to each other.

I've looked and there does not seem to be any adjustment for aligning the two wheels - bottom more forward or the top wheel more back. I use both 1/8th and 1/4" blades. I've played around with adjusting the top and bottom blade guides for hours to no avail.

Need some advice, modifications or is this just the way things are with this "kinda toy" band saw?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-26-2017, 04:11 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
There isnt a built-in adjustment to make sure the wheels are in line, you want to fix that you have to take a wheel off and stick some washer behind it to shim it out. Personally, i wouldnt worry about it unless its causing issues in getting the blade to track

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #3 of 8 Old 04-26-2017, 06:08 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
It doesn't need to ride centered ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrajockey View Post
I have an old old early 90's Delta 28-185 Bench Bad Saw it picked up used some 10 years ago to do light cutting work on RC aircraft and boat Ply and Balsa. Just replaced the probably original wheel "Tires" with blue "Poly" tires and noticed that no matter how much adjusting of the top wheel "angle" adjuster, I can't get the blade to ride in the center of the two wheels.

Consistantly the blade rides on the back 1/3 of the top wheel and front 1/3 of the lower wheel. It's like the two wheel aren't on the same center line to each other.

I've looked and there does not seem to be any adjustment for aligning the two wheels - bottom more forward or the top wheel more back. I use both 1/8th and 1/4" blades. I've played around with adjusting the top and bottom blade guides for hours to no avail.

Need some advice, modifications or is this just the way things are with this "kinda toy" band saw?

Thanks
What you do want is for the gullets to ride on the center of the top wheel using the tracking adjustment. Disregard where it rides on the lower wheel ... unless it's about to fall off. Never mess with the lower wheel when it is factory set. All this talk about shimming and wheels being "coplaner" ... check in at 6:40 seconds in the video below... is contrary to the factory setting where they know way more about setting it up than a homeshop rookie.

Here is all you need to know about setting up a bandsaw:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-26-2017 at 06:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-26-2017, 10:53 AM

View mangorockfish's Photo Album My Photos
Woodnthings is right on. This video is a "bad boy"!! Anything and everything you want and need to know is in it.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-27-2017, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

View cobrajockey's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
What you do want is for the gullets to ride on the center of the top wheel using the tracking adjustment. Disregard where it rides on the lower wheel ... unless it's about to fall off. Never mess with the lower wheel when it is factory set. All this talk about shimming and wheels being "coplaner" ... check in at 6:40 seconds in the video below... is contrary to the factory setting where they know way more about setting it up than a homeshop rookie.

Here is all you need to know about setting up a bandsaw:
Well that is the problem, to get the teeth of the blade to run in the center of the top wheel, the blade is nearly falling off of the front of the bottom wheel and that pushes the Urethaine material "tire" to the back of the bottom wheel leaving a small gap between the tire and the lip of the bottom wheel.
(BTW: I've never heard the term "gullets" except in reference to the human esophagus)

I'm also concerned that this off-center issue will wear the the two tires very irregularly and at $32 a pair of tires, I'm not liking that idea at all.

This Setup video by Grizzly Industrial flies in the face of the claim "Co-planner" is not a problem and the blade does not need to ride in the same crown position on both wheels

Last edited by cobrajockey; 04-27-2017 at 11:29 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-27-2017, 12:04 PM

View mangorockfish's Photo Album My Photos
The gullets are the "u" shapes between the teeth. On my saw, I just put new tires on it, I had to snap(push) the edges of the tires down into the groves of the wheels. Your tires may be too narrow. Just my $.02.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-27-2017, 12:18 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
To me it sounds like the top wheel sliding mechanism has become worn so the top wheel is now outboard of the bottom wheel, how much play do you have in it when the tension is fully loosened?

Things wear out after 10+ years.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #8 of 8 Old 04-27-2017, 12:54 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I doubt it ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
To me it sounds like the top wheel sliding mechanism has become worn so the top wheel is now outboard of the bottom wheel, how much play do you have in it when the tension is fully loosened?

Things wear out after 10+ years.

That mechanism is so rarely used it would never "wear out" even if you changed the blade once a week. I doubt if many here change their blades once a month. However, it would also help to lubricate it once a year.

Do try all the tracking and adjustments in the Snodgrass Video and that should solve the problem. If not, then you have larger issues, but if the only change is the new tires then I suspect they are the issue.

I have "crowned" my rubber tires while on a running saw using a sanding block on an extended scrap. It sounds scary and it may be, but it works great.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode